SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig P938 - Back from SIG for repair / service
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig P938 - Back from SIG for repair / service Login/Join 
posted
I sent my P938 to SIG because the mags were dropping out with +P 124 gr. SD ammo (Gold Dots). This was actually the second time that I sent it to them to address this.

The first time they only replaced the mag catch / spring assembly.

Here is what they did this time around -

Replaced:

- Slide due to hammer ramp pin broken
- Sights as courtesy (well, I paid $54 for the front one because it was out).
- Hammer & Sear
- Recoil Spring
- Firing pin safety lock & spring
- Extractor Spring

Replaced/Updated Parts:

- Mainspring housing
- Sear spring
- Sear pin
- Mag catch spring

Function checked / Test fired for function - No malfunctions (well I certainly hope so).

Other than mags dropping out, the gun seemed to work / function o.k. I am surprised that it did if so many parts were actually 'broken'.

I hope to get to range this weekend and fire a bunch of FMJ and SD ammo, and finally gain the confidence to carry this weapon!

Rob

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
That sounds like the Kimber I sent back to the factory complaining about the crappy trigger. It came back with a new ejector, new slide, and a trigger job.
I was glad they looked at it so so closely but shocked that QC let it out of the factory, the first time!

Looking forward to reading a range report on your (mostly) new gun.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cookster:
I sent my P938 to SIG because the mags were dropping out with +P 124 gr. SD ammo (Gold Dots). This was actually the second time that I sent it to them to address this.

The first time they only replaced the mag catch / spring assembly.

Here is what they did this time around -

Replaced:

- Slide due to hammer ramp pin broken
- Sights as courtesy (well, I paid $54 for the front one because it was out).
- Hammer & Sear
- Recoil Spring
- Firing pin safety lock & spring
- Extractor Spring

Replaced/Updated Parts:

- Mainspring housing
- Sear spring
- Sear pin
- Mag catch spring

Function checked / Test fired for function - No malfunctions (well I certainly hope so).

Other than mags dropping out, the gun seemed to work / function o.k. I am surprised that it did if so many parts were actually 'broken'.

I hope to get to range this weekend and fire a bunch of FMJ and SD ammo, and finally gain the confidence to carry this weapon!

Rob

Most likely, there was just the one broken pin. The other parts were simply replaced together instead of mixing worn parts with new parts. The gun might've been worked on this time around by a more senior/experienced service tech. Since the gun was there again, they dug into it deeper and checked everything over instead of just the specific parts directly related to the mag drop issue before.

Its not a ding on SIG's production QA, but more of minor design issues, ever improving parts and such. I had the same issue with mags becoming unseated while firing defensive/+P ammo with my 938. I saw another member here recommend using a standard size 1911 mag catch spring and then cut a coil or so to fit it so the mag catch works properly - and it did. No further problems when firing the hotter defensive rounds.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post