SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Why the $1k difference in price between the B&T GHM9 and APC9 Pro???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why the $1k difference in price between the B&T GHM9 and APC9 Pro??? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
LGS got in an APC9 Pro
Seems like a sweet well built gun except for the crap excuse for folding sites that come on it.

Why is it so much more expensive than the GHM9??

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got to talking with one of the B&T guys at NRAAM about the them and he told me the APC9 was designed and built with full auto capabilities in mind and is built to a higher standard. He said the GHM9 was never intended to fire full auto and thus isn't marketed to the law enforcement and military community like the APC is.

The Pro being new and having some additional features than the regular APC will account for some of the difference though. What mags does the pro at you lgs take?

Posts: 872 | Location: TN | Registered: December 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Higher quality materials, IIRC non-reciprocating handle. Recoil management is relocated to a better functioning but harder to manufacture area. Regular apc 9's can be had for 1700ish with brace. It is the pro's that are the newest and greatest. IIRC you can get the standard apc 9, wait till a pro lower comes out and swap for that.

Truth be told, My GHM suits me just fine.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hlb14:
I got to talking with one of the B&T guys at NRAAM about the them and he told me the APC9 was designed and built with full auto capabilities in mind and is built to a higher standard. He said the GHM9 was never intended to fire full auto and thus isn't marketed to the law enforcement and military community like the APC is.

The Pro being new and having some additional features than the regular APC will account for some of the difference though. What mags does the pro at you lgs take?

It appears to me it takes the same magazine as the GHM9.

The gun was solid, very tight, and the trigger was super crisp. For the price tag I could not believe how crappy the flip up sights were.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Black92LX,

————————————————

Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Latest and greatest from B&T. I understand the APC-9 Pro has the capability for using Glock mags. I'm actually in the market for one, kinda pricey. But everything I hear is top shelf.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When the will is strong, everything is easy
Picture of celticwolf
posted Hide Post
The APC9 will have available Glock and P320 mag lowers.

You may find it interesting, one of the designers of the SIG 550, designed the APC9.

The hydraulic buffer really works.

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of
avoiding reality." Ayn Rand

Posts: 2125 | Location: AZ | Registered: April 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OP, I recently developed a B&T itch and was asking myself a similar question. I ended up with the GHM9 Gen 2 and a APC Pro Glock lower. I'm not an expert, but I bought mine from a "master dealer". For what its worth.

The differences in a nutshell.

GHM9 Gen 1 - doesn't handle hollow/flat points, hydraulic buffer attached to the bolt
GHM9 Gen 2 add $250 - shoots hp/flat, hydraulic buffer attached to the bolt

you want the collapsing brace/stock for that - add $500

APC9 Gen 1 add another $550 - crappy plastic built in back up sights,non reciprocating charging handle, hydraulic buffer attached to the end cap, this adds $100+ to the price of a collapsing brace/stock (see above)
APC9 Pro add another $400 - adds AR style grip lower, ambi non-reciprocating charging handles, better back up sights that come standard on the GHM9

So a bolt with a buffer attached to it would be heavier and slower if shooting full-auto.

The Glock lower is already available at $425 and has the AR style grip that can be changed out. It also has the combined bolt catch/release that comes on the APC9/45 Pro. Geissele and Franklin Armory have triggers available. I also read somewhere that the Larue MBT-2S will also fit.

Now a word about the lowers. The safety selectors are two piece polymer set. The left hand lever cannot be detached. Shooting with the left hand was a pain. Chewed through the my skin on the first knuckle of my trigger finger in two mags. I looked everywhere and couldn't find a swap or fix. I ended up pulling it out, sticking it in a vice and taking a Dremel to it. Much better. The barrel of the selector being polymer makes me wonder about longevity. I tried swapping it out with a Radian Talon set but the barrel is too short.

I'm still waiting on a brace/Tail hook set up from the dealer as I have no plans to stamp this one.

Good luck with your purchase. Wink
-TVz

Posts: 428 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: May 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
These Glock and Sig lowers you are referring to are they B&T products or an aftermarket?
If they are B&T will there be an option down the road to just buy the gun as a Glock or Sig lower version instead of the B&T mag.
Mags are like $70, no thanks.
Also I did not bother to look but is the upper or lower serialized?
The Pro my LGS had was the braced version came in a nice brief case style case.

And last question, maybe, why this over an MP5?

————————————————

posted Hide Post
Yes they are BNT lowers,

They have said that they would be orderable in those sku's on facebook a few months ago. I caution with this. BNT is a small shop, they make a lot of unique stuff, just not a lot of quantity of each unique sku. With the PDW contract, keep that in mind. The GHM9 mag, fits apc,tp9,kh9, It will be around for a while.

Upper is the serialized part

Mags, bnt mags are straight down, pistol mags glock/sig will be angled. Double feed for BNT, Single for glock and sig mags. That may or may not make a difference to you. I prefer BNT mags, though I have a GHM45.

I bought mine over the mp5 for a few reasons. Simpler, far simpler bolt. Direct blowback, very little to go wrong. I would like an HK/clone in the future. However (confirmation bias here) i think i made the right choice. I have an MPX 8" in 9mm, Kriss Vector 8"in 40sw, BNT GHM45 7.5" in 45acp. All run very well suppressed. All are now SBR's

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regarding the Glock lower. The 33 round mags drop free when empty. I can't say anything about the standard B&T lower/mag combo. The mag that came with mine is still in the wrapper.

The Glock lower has the circumcised safety lever on the right.

ETA: This pic shows the mag release lever on the right side of the lower.

Regarding the Glock lower. The 33 round mags drop free when empty. I can't say anything about the standard B&T lower/mag combo. The mag that came with mine is still in the wrapper.

The Glock lower mag well has more beveling towards the front of the opening. Here you can see the bolt catch on the standard lower(left).

-TVz

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TVzombie,

Posts: 428 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: May 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info!

————————————————

posted Hide Post
Just get the grasshopper mouse - they shoot about the same.

Apc9 isn’t worth the price increase.

-Freq

Posts: 192 | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When the will is strong, everything is easy
Picture of celticwolf
posted Hide Post
The sights are designed to be deployed in an emergency, and break away if snagged. Why? Because that was requested by an agency. Doesn't make sense to me, but it did for somebody's application.

I got to play with the full auto versions about 3 weeks ago, really impressive. They all had Aimpoint ACRO's on them.

Also played with the P320 USW. I have already bought the grip and the holster. Waiting on the form 1. I really liked it.

They are waiting on ATF approval to sell the glock and p320 versions.

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of
avoiding reality." Ayn Rand

Posts: 2125 | Location: AZ | Registered: April 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I have a TP9, APC9 and GHM9 Gen 2 Compact. As much as I'd love a Glock lower, I'm already deep on B&T mags.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Added a pic of the right side of the Glock lower.

The mag release on the left side and right side are in different locations.

-TVz