SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Budget (aka cheap) red dot optic for AR9 pistol?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Budget (aka cheap) red dot optic for AR9 pistol? Login/Join 
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted
So I'm putting together a "range toy" AR9. I'm looking for a low cost red dot.

Nobody's life will depend on it, so no need to buy an EOTech/Aimpoint/Trijicon, and I don't need a million hour battery life, "shake to wake," etc.

All I really need is a 2 or 3 MOA dot that will hold zero well, and preferably will cowitness with some MBUS sights.

Here are a couple I was looking at:

https://www.amazon.com/Bushnel...ords=bushnell+trs+25

http://www.primaryarms.com/dealer-md-rbgiibm

I'm open to others ideas.

Thanks in advance.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The Primary Arms Micro Dots are my go-to cheap optics for range toys. I've owned about a half dozen over the years, and have never had any problems or failures with them. They work well, and hold zero, even when I've used them on .308s and 12 gauges.

I do have one Bushnell TRS-25, and it's never given me any issues either, but the PA optics seem like better quality for not much more money. (Though I picked up most of my PA optics back when they were $50-$60 several years ago.)

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
Thanks, does that include this one? http://www.primaryarms.com/pri...y-july-2016-md-rbgii

After I posted i realized that other PA sight normally retails for $150, and that $90 price is a "dealer price."

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have several of that removable base model (MD-RBGII), as well as several of the similar fixed base models (MD-FBGII).

Y'know... I have that Bushnell TRS-25 just laying around. It's yours if you want it. Just shoot me an email at the address in my profile.

I should even be able to rustle up an AR-height cowitness riser for it, if I do some digging around.

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
Wow thanks. How much? I'd feel guilty taking it for free.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Instant Karma. No charge. Just email me your shipping address. I'll see if I can dig out that riser tomorrow and then stick them in the mail to you.

Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
Very generous of you sir. I'll be sure to pay it forward.

Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
SIGForum rocks!

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
Yes, and this is the second time someone has given me an "instant karma."

Again RogueJSK, thanks so much for the generosity.

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Indeed the forum is great.

The TRS-25 is a nice little red dot. I have two; one that sees time on my Buck Mark and the other on my HD Mossberg 500. No hiccups with either.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Nice offer Rogue.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
Yep, you'll like that little Bushnell...I've got one on my 15-22 and AR9 range toys. Your link on Amazon is about the most I'll pay for one.

And you can't beat a free one from RogueJSK!

He's the real deal!

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DNT you're looking at some good ones already
for your needs.
"2or3 MOA"? Good choice for more precision hundred yard shots but any thing within forty feet or closer__like practicing SD shots a
8MOA may be a better choice.
SD situations take place in seconds and at garlic breath distance. (Been there) So the 8MOA is the
size for fast acquisition and hitting mass.
For rifles __the small dot for head shots at
distance.
God luck with your search.
Stay safe
Poli Viejo

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
I'd like to give a huge thank you, once again, to RogueJSK, for his very generous gift of the TRS-25 sight. I got it today.

Now all I need is for Palmetto State Armory to get some more pistol lowers in stock, and I'll be ready to rock!

Again sir, your generosity is greatly appreciated.

posted Hide Post
Buy once cry once. Over the years i have found this statement to hold very true.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post