SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Porting my P220
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Porting my P220 Login/Join 
posted
I'm interested in porting my P220 .45. I will likely go with Magnaport but am open to suggestions. What I need help with is ammunition. Goal of porting the weapon is to reduce muzzle flip and more quickly get back on target. I practice Mozambique drills and want to be able to train to run through them at light speed. This will require different ammunition. Someone recommended speaking to an IPSC shooter. I'm looking for a smaller bullet traveling fast enough to really make use of the the porting. I will make the ammunition. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.

Posts: 55 | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
....aaaaah.... ever think about a P226 in 9MM?

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
An expansion chamber style compensator will be much more effective with a 45 ACP cartridge then Mag-na-porting

Mag-na-porting is more effective with high pressure cartridges like the various magnums

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Magnaport would be a good decision and probably a 160gr bullet loaded with a slow powder to feed the comp ports.Thats what a lot of open shooters do.

Posts: 31 | Location: grove city ohio | Registered: August 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
....aaaaah.... ever think about a P226 in 9MM?

Of course. P226 is a wonderful pistol. I have and have had a P220 for many years and am focused on improving it. Between porting and load development, I'm confident I can reach my goal. Thank you.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by js1badsti:
Magnaport would be a good decision and probably a 160gr bullet loaded with a slow powder to feed the comp ports.Thats what a lot of open shooters do.

Thank you and thank you for not suggesting I buy a P350 or whatever. I will write down your advice and will explore it. Take care.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa:
An expansion chamber style compensator will be much more effective with a 45 ACP cartridge then Mag-na-porting

Mag-na-porting is more effective with high pressure cartridges like the various magnums

I understand. This is my carry weapon. I would rather not add to the length of it. Trying to work with what I have to achieve a specific result. Thank you.

posted Hide Post
No comment on the porting idea per se, but you say this is your carry weapon. Have you shot a ported gun with loads to feed it in the dark? Its pretty impressive and not in a good way.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
No comment on the porting idea per se, but you say this is your carry weapon. Have you shot a ported gun with loads to feed it in the dark? Its pretty impressive and not in a good way.

I understand your point. I'm sure you have much more experience than I do. In my limited experience, once I had the principal target in line, I relied on speed and shooting experience to execute the pattern. Paid no attention to weapon sights nor to vision at all. I am interested in repeating that process at twice the speed should it ever be necessary. Thanks.

posted Hide Post
Shoot it in the dark a few times, just for the experience so you know what you are dealing with.

posted Hide Post
I will do so but I'm not sure you understand. Once you have center mass in sight, everything after the first shot is reflexes. If you have distance, you likely have a way out. Just my thought. I'm completely ok with being wrong, everyone has to decide. In my experience, once I had him, I had him. I did not need visuals. I needed speed so nothing would come flying my way.

posted Hide Post
Gecko45 was once facing a similar issue. He disappeared though and I never found out what his conclusion was. Good luck with the experiment though.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At the risk of feeding a troll...you’d be better off with professional training and your night vision intact. The difference in split times with porting wont matter in a gunfight. If muzzle flip is that bad your grip and stance probably sucks.

Adding movement would up your survival chances way more.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dcaven:
I will do so but I'm not sure you understand. Once you have center mass in sight, everything after the first shot is reflexes. If you have distance, you likely have a way out. Just my thought. I'm completely ok with being wrong, everyone has to decide. In my experience, once I had him, I had him. I did not need visuals. I needed speed so nothing would come flying my way.

I'd definitely suggest quality training. What you're describing is very much akin to "point shooting" and that has been effectively show to fail with multiple target engagements.

Learn to use the sights and not rely on "Not needing visuals". You absolutely need to use visuals.

Just my $0.02

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe so but the dead guy would likely disagree. Trying to improve on a proven concept, not trying to reinvent the wheel. Thanks though.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I would suggest you do not.

Personally I don't think the gains are worth the cost and "damage" done to your gun.

A 45 ACP is relatively low pressure, so porting/comps don't work particularly well.

(I own Magnaported guns that I wish were not).

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please expand. Is there damage and if so, what kind? If I speed up the round, wouldn't the pressures increase? Honest questions.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
At the risk of feeding a troll...you’d be better off with professional training and your night vision intact. The difference in split times with porting wont matter in a gunfight. If muzzle flip is that bad your grip and stance probably sucks.

I've had training and am no troll. I'm trying to split times, yes. In a gunfight, it does matter. Not a major veteran but have been in a gunfight. Hence, the question.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dcaven:
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:

I've had training and am no troll. I'm trying to split times, yes. In a gunfight, it does matter. Not a major veteran but have been in a gunfight. Hence, the question.

Movement is not always an option.

posted Hide Post
quote:
worth the cost and "damage" done to your gun

I'm pretty sure what is meant here is destroying a good slide and barrel. And I would add for a negligible gain with this cartridge and IMO potential detriment. But too each his own and that is not any sort of criticism.
Your tactics discussion doesn't make any sense, but they are yours to execute so OK.