SIGforum
Porting my P220

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/2660023564

January 11, 2020, 09:39 PM
dcaven
Porting my P220
The only real tactics discussion is lightening recoil in order to execute a shooting pattern more quickly. How does that not make sense?
January 11, 2020, 10:27 PM
hrcjon
That makes sense if the only criteria is recoil. and of course that is simply not true. In any case as I said before good luck. too each their own.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”
January 13, 2020, 03:01 PM
RaiseHal
My advice would be to save the porting costs and spend it on professional training. A fast and accurate first shot with a proven and tested defensive load in .45 should be the goal, I see no advantage in 2 super quick lighter weight not designed and tested for defensive usage handloaded bullets not specifically designed for the weapon in question.

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill
January 13, 2020, 07:38 PM
dcaven
quote:
Originally posted by RaiseHal:
My advice would be to save the porting costs and spend it on professional training. A fast and accurate first shot with a proven and tested defensive load in .45 should be the goal, I see no advantage in 2 super quick lighter weight not designed and tested for defensive usage handloaded bullets not specifically designed for the weapon in question.

I shoot 3 shot patterns. Mozambique drill.
January 13, 2020, 10:36 PM
David Lee
You could try a EFK ported barrel. Save your factory barrel and not need to EDM cut your barrel and slide.
January 14, 2020, 09:40 AM
dcaven
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
You could try a EFK ported barrel. Save your factory barrel and not need to EDM cut your barrel and slide.

Thanks. After reading up on this issue I discovered that it is now possible to purchase an aftermarket trigger that lightens and smooths both the double action and single action mechanisms. I have had my pistol for a very long time and this option did not used to exist. I think I will pursue a better trigger as a way of shortening the time on the patterns rather than porting. It makes more sense and I just didn't know it was possible to do this. Thanks for your help.
January 14, 2020, 10:28 AM
feersum dreadnaught
If you really want your single and double action trigger pulls improved, I'd suggest you send your P220 off to GrayGuns. They've done amazing work on my P220 Stainless Elite and my P229.

https://grayguns.com/action-cl...-perfection-service/

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"
January 14, 2020, 10:33 AM
T.Webb
I have a West German P220 that was Magna-Ported before I brought it. Truth be told the only advantage for me was that the porting killed 50% of the guns value, so I was able to get the gun for a deal. I have 2 West German 220's and really don't notice that much of a difference other than the fireball coming out of the ported gun.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

January 14, 2020, 03:46 PM
.38supersig
One other suggestion that I can offer is that you have the gun ported through the slide instead of an extended barrel, the heat from the ports will burn out your night sights (if equipped) almost instantly. I think mine were dead in about two rounds.

January 14, 2020, 04:48 PM
cas
Yes, damage as in you're spending money to put holes in your barrel and slide that will not get you much in performance and only lower it's value.

The 45 ACP is a low pressure round, loading them hot isn't going to change that enough to make barrel ports work well.

January 15, 2020, 02:24 PM
Nipper
Apart from the desirability of porting a semi, some observations from my own experience with revolvers. Note that this applies ONLY to revolvers. I have no experience with ported semi's.

I have six carry revolvers that were Magna-Ported in the 1990's. I ran extensive before and after tests. Revolvers were 3" and 4" 357 Mags, a 3" Ruger SP101 .357 Mag plus 2" and 3" J-frame .38 Spl's.

MUZZLE RISE:

1) Regardless of which gun was used, the muzzle rise was cut about 50%. That includes full house mags, .38+P and mid-range reloads. In other words, a given gun with a given load will have the muzzle rise reduced by 50% after porting.

2) The results with the smaller guns was contrary to the often heard statements that porting is only worthwhile on big magnums. There is a benefit even with 2" J-frame .38 Spl.

3) Again, contrary to some statements on the topic, the porting didn't reduce the recoil. It simply redirected it. Instead of pivoting off the web of the hand (weakest), it redirected it towards the palm of the hand, providing more comfort and recoil control.

MUZZLE BLAST/SIGNATURE:

1) Another misunderstood aspect of Magna-Porting.

2) Even with non-ported defensive guns, a premium SD round should be used for carry. One thing you are paying for is the expensive flame-retardent powders used.

3) An example is my Ruger SP101 3" .357 Mag using Federal premium 125 gr JHP. There is NO large flash signature, even in complete darkness. Neither is there any effect on vision. This is a full-house load out of a 3" revolver.

4) On the other hand, a friend was shooting his 6" .357 with lights on at our LGC indoor range. He was using inexpensive full-house 158 gr .357 Mag practice ammo. Produced a HUGE fireball worthy of the Greek Gods.

One thing that is true of porting is debris blowing upwards from the ports. However, my experience is that in most shooting positions it is not a problem. The exception is a high retention position with the gun close to the body. At belt level, not an issue. When the gun is raised to a high pectoral level (closer to the eyes) it can become dangerous.

I'm not advocating for or against porting here. Just clarifying what it actually does in controlled tests.