SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 X5 Owners with Optics
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 X5 Owners with Optics Login/Join 
Picture of Newf
posted
Seriously considering a 320 X5 after having the chance to sample one, but with my old(er) eyes now I def benefit from having an optic on there. So if those of you with a 320 X5 + optic would care to share your choice of optic and your impressions, it would be much appreciated! I guess most go with the Romeo1, but any thoughts on other options?
TIA...

Posts: 920 | Location: Canada | Registered: June 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 6MOA Vortex Venom mounted on the P320 X5 I use for USPSA and Steel Challenge. I attached it with the Conversion plate that is offered by Springer Precision but I've heard that with minor changes to the slide or optic itself it can be mounted right to the slide. I haven't tried that with mine yet but may try it when Sig ships my second P320 X5.

Prior to getting my X5 I was using a P320 Rx with the Romeo 1. The Romeo 1 has a very big piece of glass compared to the Vortex Venom but the dot is very small and it does not get very bright so there were times when I was really searching for the dot.

Even though the Venom has a small window of glass I have no problems tracking or seeing the dot on the X5 even in bright sunlight. Some people have had quite a few issues with the Vortex line but I have not had any issues yet after a little over 3,000 rounds. I guess time will tell if I have issues or not.

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a 6moa Romeo1 coming.

Newf, MDC did a nice job on the P320 X-Five by adding the Springer Precision basepads—really nice!

Cathy

Posts: 302 | Registered: August 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put a Romeo 1 on my x carry.

Posts: 612 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: March 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Just got mine last month. Started with a DeltaPointPro on a Springer Precision block, but did not like the height - so that will end up on a G26, and a Romeo 1 is on it.

I'd just go with the Sig product. That, and a GrayGuns guide rod / 1911 spring, a PELT trigger, and some rubber talon grip wrap.

New BladeTech holster came in today, so first IDPA match this weekend to try it out...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
Just got mine last month. Started with a DeltaPointPro on a Springer Precision block, but did not like the height - so that will end up on a G26, and a Romeo 1 is on it.

I'd just go with the Sig product. That, and a GrayGuns guide rod / 1911 spring, a PELT trigger, and some rubber talon grip wrap.

New BladeTech holster came in today, so first IDPA match this weekend to try it out...

IDPA with a dot is a thing now?

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:

it is at my club.

And I predict a IDPA category for optics will be established within the next year...

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

it is at my club.

And I predict a IDPA category for optics will be established within the next year...

I hadn't heard. I dont own anything other than my carry gun that makes sense for IDPA. But I do have a M&P milled for a dot if those are now legal.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

it is at my club.

I hadn't heard. I dont own anything other than my carry gun that makes sense for IDPA. But I do have a M&P milled for a dot if those are now legal.

You will know it is for real when Wilson starts making "optic ready" CQBs.

posted Hide Post
It's a provisional category this year. Rules are the same as SSP, just allowing for an optic cut. Not like USPSA Carry Optics which is basically Limited Minor with an optic now.

Posts: 20 | Location: Portland, OR | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakazulu12:
It's a provisional category this year. Rules are the same as SSP, just allowing for an optic cut. Not like USPSA Carry Optics which is basically Limited Minor with an optic now.

I read it as it could be any division with a dot attached.

And uspsa isn’t Limited minor with a dot because I still can’t use a 2011.

posted Hide Post
You are right. I think I got a local version of the rules, and had not looked again recently. And point taken on the 2011.

Posts: 20 | Location: Portland, OR | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
You are right. I think I got a local version of the rules, and had not looked again recently. And point taken on the 2011.

However, looks like my lim dot minor gun might be able to play in idpa now.

posted Hide Post
I'm running a Romeo-1 on my P320 X-Five and have one ordered to put on one of my two X-Carrys. I have found the optic to be reliable, bright enough and, while not faster than irons for me, it allows much greater accuracy at long distance (20-50 yards plus). In addition, it's great in low light conditions when the front sight might not be as crisp and clear as in good lighting. Battery life has been fine.

I found the transition from irons to red dot to be difficult at first, but was greatly helped by simply using the same techniques as applied for iron front sight acquisition, and then transition focus to the target- the dot is always right there if I start with normal iron "pickup".

The rear groove of the Romeo-1 provides an adequate (though not ideal) backup with the Dawson front sight blade.

Posts: 49 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Newf
posted Hide Post
quote:

So how did it go? IDPA/IPSC use is also my focus, pardon the pun Smile .

And thanks everyone for their input.

Posts: 920 | Location: Canada | Registered: June 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Newf:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:

reasonably well, placed in top 1/3 of my local monthly match. about usual for me, behind the EX and MA guys...

That said, the low light stage was my best - using a red dot in low light is basically cheating. I've sucked at low light since starting IDPA, as I have a tough time finding the sights on transition. With the red dot, it was easy - I probably could have done it without the flashlight. Should get even better as I get more rounds through it, I'm at ~800 so far...

Picture of Newf
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Newf:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:

reasonably well, placed in top 1/3 of my local monthly match. about usual for me, behind the EX and MA guys...

That said, the low light stage was my best - using a red dot in low light is basically cheating. I've sucked at low light since starting IDPA, as I have a tough time finding the sights on transition. With the red dot, it was easy - I probably could have done it without the flashlight. Should get even better as I get more rounds through it, I'm at ~800 so far...

Thanks for the update, good to hear! And yes, picking up that front sight in quick target transitions is my BIG challenge these days, no matter the light level.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The way I read the provisional rules is that a 1911/2011 style WON'T be allowed in carry optics. Only striker fired, or DA/SA.

Posts: 221 | Location: WI | Registered: October 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scsu74
posted Hide Post
I have a delta point pro on mine, you just need to remove a bit from the front of the optic cut and the DP fits great. If you want to co-witness dawson makes a .40" tall front and Leupold sells a rear iron that attaches to the optic.

X-Carry (ACRO & DPP slides), X5 x2 (w/ DPPs, gas pedals, Springer guide rods)

Posts: 293 | Location: Up Nort | Registered: July 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RH45:
quote:
quote:

The way I read the provisional rules is that a 1911/2011 style WON'T be allowed in carry optics. Only striker fired, or DA/SA.

The actual verbiage from the idpa website that I posted above specifically allows single action only guns that are legal for other divisions.