SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    p320 RX Romeo 1 failure
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

p320 RX Romeo 1 failure Login/Join 
posted
I have been loving my 3 week old p320 RX and went to the range today to shoot it again. I've been planning on making it my new house guns as soon as the holster I ordered for it arrives. Today I began to have second thoughts.

At about round 500, the red dot stopped working. I fiddled with the controls and it went back on, then after another string, died for good. I was about to run down to the corner for a new battery when I first decided to google the battery life of the unit and found this Youtube posted two weeks ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQqkliReF3Y where the guy reports that after his Romeo 1 died after a few weeks, he was told by Sig that the expected battery life is only 2-3 weeks.

This is not acceptable for a SD gun.

A few minutes ago I took the gun out of my range bag and after trying to get the RD to turn on again, I was about to open up the batter cover to change the battery when I noticed that the cover had become loose. I tightened it up and the RD went back on. Still, this is not a good sign. I am curious about how long the battery cover will stay tight this time and how long the battery life will be.

I am on the verge of of selling this gun. I actually like the p320 very much and have been shooting it very well, but I wanted an optics equipped pistol and there is not much I can do here without selling it. It turns out the mounting plate is proprietary and Sig does not offer base plates for Trijicon or other red dots. I see that Trijicon seems to have a base plate that fits the 320 but it fits the rear sight dovetail and that is not what I want.

I thought Suarez was just being Suarez when he said that the only red dots anyone should put on a defensive pistol were Trijicons or Doctors. Maybe he was right.

The new M&P 2.0 core is not out yet, the optics ready HK is not expected till end of the year. Walther has been having issues with the barrels in the PPQ's lately and I hate Glocks...Decisions, decisions

Posts: 15 | Registered: March 13, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You need to make sure you completely tighten down the battery cap with a metal screw driver not the plastic one that is provided. Once you do that you will not have any issues with the cap coming loose. In 5 months of ownership I have not had the cap come loose. I was told that the battery will last 1-2 years depending on use.

I have been shooting the romeo1 since November and I have failed to have one issue. I have shot with 2 romeo1's one on a p320 and one on a P226 SAO. I prefer it over any RMR because of the location of the battery cap and the field of view when looking through the sight.

But to each their own when it comes to what sight they want on their gun.

Posts: 550 | Location: Texas | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
If you're expecting rifle optics reliability out of an optic mounted atop a slide violently slamming back-and-forth, you may find yourself disappointed: https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/6120076124

(Hopefully during practice, rather than when it really matters.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
I think you should just call Suarez, or get an M&P CORE, or change sights to a Trijicon, oh noes a bad barrel, or maybe sell this gun, oh crap 2-3 weeks of battery life, or whatever. Roll Eyes

Seriously, there are plenty of posts and videos alluding to the battery cover coming loose on the Romeo, tighten the dang thing up as recommended and get back to shooting, geez!

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys:

Factor, it is good to hear that your experiences with the Romeo 1 have been good. BTW, I did tighten it with the plastic one provided. Lesson noted

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BklynBoy:
for Trijicon or other red dots. I see that Trijicon seems to have ...Decisions, decisions.

No, No. Bought a Trijicon for my .38 and it was a joke. The only way I could see the faintest of dots was to be in a room with no windows and the lights turned off. I was able to get a refund, but at that price range, I didn't want Trijijunk.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Texaspoff
posted Hide Post
I like RDs on pistols, but for me personally, this is exactly why I won't run a RD on a defensive pistol. It's just my preference, and experience but I have never had a mechanical sight fail.

TXPO

Coldborecustom.com

Posts: 258 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dEX_RX
posted Hide Post
If you're going to sell it because the battery cover was loose, I'd be happy to take it off your hands.

I really wish people wouldn't make such "click bait" titles. This is absolutely not a failure. Half of the internet is going to read this title and assume it actually broke.

NXGen Tactical
CZ P-09 MHS Trials #79 | P320RX-TSS | P320SCR | VP9 LE

Posts: 110 | Location: Central Mass | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
He should sell it, if a loose battery cover causes him to lose confidence in the entire weapon.

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In general we put far too much confidence and power in our choice of weapon. In truth, your primary defensive weapon is your brain.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Factor8:
You need to make sure you completely tighten down the battery cap with a metal screw driver not the plastic one that is provided. Once you do that you will not have any issues with the cap coming loose. In 5 months of ownership I have not had the cap come loose. I was told that the battery will last 1-2 years depending on use.

+1 on this ^^ I own an early Cabela's version stainless slide 320RX. I also had this issue until, I used a metal screw driver to tighten and have not had another issue after 750 plus rounds. I have been using it so much that I have actually rubbed the paint off the brightness adjustment buttons, but haven't needed to change the battery yet.

Posts: 60 | Registered: January 12, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
I can attest to the same issue, the plastic tool does not get the battery cover tight enough. I use a homemade aluminum tool and have no issues.

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I am on the verge of of selling this gun. I actually like the p320 very much and have been shooting it very well, but I wanted an optics equipped pistol and there is not much I can do here without selling it. It turns out the mounting plate is proprietary and Sig does not offer base plates for Trijicon or other red dots. I see that Trijicon seems to have a base plate that fits the 320 but it fits the rear sight dovetail and that is not what I want.

I sold my 320 RX a couple weeks after I bought it. I'm a 1911 guy and just didn't like the feel. I have a Trij RMR on one of my 1911's and it quit working a few months ago. I sent it back and they repaired it. I haven't had a chance to try yet since my gun has been down for over 3 months, trying to get a threaded barrel.

Posts: 108 | Registered: January 01, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I had a failure on my Romeo 1, where the the increase intensity button stopped working, the button to lower it still worked, but I had to remove the battery to get it to go back to the mid brightness setting.

Luckily, Epping in on the way to one of my work sites, so I was able to stop in and the sent it for repair and got it back to me same day.

A note of information, if you call for service on the Romeo, expect to send the slide and site together. They claim that they prefer to do it that way to make sure the mount is secure? It worked for me, but just a heads up for someone that will be waiting on shipping turn times.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have been loving my 3 week old p320 RX and went to the range today to shoot it again. I've been planning on making it my new house guns as soon as the holster I ordered for it arrives. Today I began to have second thoughts.

At about round 500, the red dot stopped working. I fiddled with the controls and it went back on, then after another string, died for good. I was about to run down to the corner for a new battery when I first decided to google the battery life of the unit and found this Youtube posted two weeks ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQqkliReF3Y where the guy reports that after his Romeo 1 died after a few weeks, he was told by Sig that the expected battery life is only 2-3 weeks.

This is not acceptable for a SD gun.

A few minutes ago I took the gun out of my range bag and after trying to get the RD to turn on again, I was about to open up the batter cover to change the battery when I noticed that the cover had become loose. I tightened it up and the RD went back on. Still, this is not a good sign. I am curious about how long the battery cover will stay tight this time and how long the battery life will be.

I thought Suarez was just being Suarez when he said that the only red dots anyone should put on a defensive pistol were Trijicons or Doctors. Maybe he was right.

The new M&P 2.0 core is not out yet, the optics ready HK is not expected till end of the year. Walther has been having issues with the barrels in the PPQ's lately and I hate Glocks...Decisions, decisions

Not acceptable for an HD gun?

I would agree. Old man Murphy steps in and your red dot is done. I think there are way too many variables involved to consider the electronic sight reliable for such a purpose.

Fixed iron sights eliminate the the worry for the most part. The only electronic sight I would be comfortable with would have to have a co-witness with iron sights or see-through system in case of failure.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
The P320rx has suppressor height nite sights that co witness at the bottom.
Even with the issue I had, I trust it for home defense.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I definitely consider the failure of the battery cap to stay tight when tightened with the tool supplied by Sig to be a failure. After some research it turns out that a member of the Sig shooting team did a video where he said that Sign now advised to tighten it with a real screwdriver to 5-10 foot pounds of torque. This was easy enough to fix and I did it. IF Sig had updated the literature that shipped with the product I would not have had the problem and technical documentation is most definitely part of a "system"

We will see how long the battery life is and how well it runs for another few hundred rounds before I get the holster for it and turn it into an SD gun. I would not consider a red dot without BUIS on any SD gun and have them on my AR as well. When the red dot failed on me, I switched to the co-witnessed sights and still hit the target, just like an SD gun is supposed to do.

This seems like a solid HD choice if it all pans out, but it will be replacing an HK that has been in my night table for almost 6 years and has many thousands of rounds through it, so I am in no rush to complete the T&E on it. Time will tell

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Anything with a battery is terrible for self defense.

NEVER bet your life on a battery or you will be dead as it is.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Only RDS that I would trust on a pistol are the Trijicon RMR or an Aimpoint T-1/2 (but that is a little big, overall.

SIG optics are about a decade too new for me to trust them for anything other than a range toy.

Also a good reason to have traditional sights that you can see through the RDS window.

quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Anything with a battery is terrible for self defense.

NEVER bet your life on a battery or you will be dead as it is.

I wonder if there are any cases of people dying due to dead batteries?

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

I wonder if there are any cases of people dying due to dead batteries?

Maybe they aren't stupid enough to rely on one as a HD weapon.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post