SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Dr. Strangeglock or How I Learned to Love the Plastic Gun
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dr. Strangeglock or How I Learned to Love the Plastic Gun Login/Join 
Picture of caneau
posted
I hate stock Glocks. And based on the response to a previous thread of mine, so do a lot of people. Here are my personal complaints:

1) The plastic grip slides around in my hand like a bar of soap.
2) The stock sights are plastic and awful
3) The trigger is mushy and unpleasant to shoot
4) The grip angle is awkward
5) I find the magazine release hard to use
6) My hand catches on the slide stop
7) The finger grooves on full size models don't work for me at all
8) The gun is overall too big for my hands

I think that about covers it.

Twenty years ago when I started shooting Glocks I found them mediocre at best. They were second class compared to the trick 1911s and target .22s I grew up shooting. Luckily, I'm not the only one with these issues and the aftermarket and Glock responded.

The first Glock I really liked was the Gen 4 G19. But it took a while. First there was the recall for the ejector. Then I needed to install a Gen 2 extractor to fix an erratic ejection problem. Trijicon HD sights made the gun easy to aim, an A-Grip wrap made the gun easy to hold, and an Overwatch Precision trigger plus sone polishing made the gun easy to shoot. Put it all together and it's not the same gun. And it's been my go-to carry gun for the last few years.

And then I shot a buddy's RMR-equipped gun. I was hooked. Both eyes open shooting is amazing for someone who doesn't have a strongly dominant eye (thank you contact lenses). So I built one.

It's the closest thing to cheating I've ever shot. Put the dot on the target, pull the trigger, rinse, repeat. The reset is 1911-like when using a standard 5 lbs. connector with the Overwatch TAC trigger. It also puts the trigger about 1/4" closer in -- which is perfect for my small hands. The mag well and Vickers accessories loading and releasing the magazine a breeze. The Gen 5 finger groove free design also makes it the first full size Glock I actually enjoy holding.

Is it perfect? No. The grip "hump" is still silly. There's no good design reason for it as evidenced by aftermarket frames and grip reduction jobs. I don't get why some of the enhancements such as the trigger design used by Overwatch and others isn't out of the box. Frame enhancements such as the Glock knuckle fix should also probably be offered from the factory -- that's a design change I'm surprised the Gen 5 didn't make.

Conclusion? The Glock is a so-so $500 pistol but an excellent $800 pistol that will compete with anything else in that price point. Throw on an RMR and it's a downright fantastic $1200 pistol.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: caneau,

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Billy346
posted Hide Post
I felt the same way about the G19 until they came out with the Gen 5. For some reason the ergonomics of the Gen 5 all of the sudden work for me.

Nice piece, BTW. Looks like it’s a lot of fun to shoot!

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Nice! I’m thinking of getting a new G34 gen 5 MOS and RMR’ing it as well. Had a gen 4 though sold it as I shot my Gen 3 G17 (modded out some) better and the gen 4 triggers never felt great to me. I am liking the new gen 5 upgrades, even more now that they have deleted the stupid cut out at the base of the grip in front.

Posts: 4609 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:
Nice! I’m thinking of getting a new G34 gen 5 MOS and RMR’ing it as well. Had a gen 4 though sold it as I shot my Gen 3 G17 (modded out some) better and the gen 4 triggers never felt great to me. I am liking the new gen 5 upgrades, even more now that they have deleted the stupid cut out at the base of the grip in front.

The cutout is gone on the front serration (FS) models. My Gen 5 34 still has it but it doesn't bother me the way it does on a 19.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is exactly why I ordered a P80 kit which addresses the majority of your issues.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also freely confess that swapping stuff in and out of Glocks is fun.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
This is exactly why I ordered a P80 kit which addresses the majority of your issues.

I'm going to give all the new UnGlock frames another year or two. I had a CCF and was not thrilled with it. Would be interested to hear your experiences with it though.