SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How to kill 8 hours (gun related)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to kill 8 hours (gun related) Login/Join 
posted
Just take apart a Ruger LCP II completely apart, including the spring/sear and forget how to reassembly it.

The Ruger LCP forums advise owners to NOT remove the sear pin.

I forgot that advice, too.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
Kind of reminds me of when I took apart my Ruger LCR. Never again!

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was this one of those "There's only two ways it can go and I've tried all four of them!!" moments? :-)

Posts: 327 | Location: Frankfort, Kentucky.  | Registered: November 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stickmaker:
Was this one of those "There's only two ways it can go and I've tried all four of them!!" moments? :-)

That, and the two springs that went "sprong" into a deep carpet the same color as the springs.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guess I should count myself fortunate. First time I did a full detail strip and refurb on my P239 it took at least 50 minutes and a largish dollop of cold vaseline just to get the sear, spring, ejector, and pin all back together.

BTW, you want something that is so easy to detail strip and put back together in a rather dark room it's the finest handgun ever designed by John Browning, the "series 70" 1911. It's as if John Moses anticipated the Trench Warfare of WWI and designed his pistol so that it could be stripped to the bare frame and put back together with nothing more than a hobnail pried from a boot heel and a rock picked up in the muddy trench you are occupying.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glock can be done in ones sleep

Posts: 503 | Registered: January 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Operations:

Yep. 3 pins to go from fully assembled to bare frame.

You can detail strip a Glock in ~30 seconds with just a punch (or even just something like a ballpoint pen). Reassembly doesn't take much longer, with just the same tool.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I disassembled a Colt New Frontier once.
And only once.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
...It's as if John Moses anticipated the Trench Warfare of WWI and designed his pistol so that it could be stripped to the bare frame and put back together with nothing more than a hobnail pried from a boot heel and a rock picked up in the muddy trench you are occupying.

You're doing it wrong. Use the firing pin to push out the mainspring housing pin, and the mainspring to turn the screw on the magazine release. No need for a hobnail.

I have no idea why you would need a rock, unless you prop the gun on it while you take it apart.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9145 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dont know how you got that @#$ $!@# sear back in, I had to send mine to Ruger. Then they called to admonish me for polishing parts, some of the same parts they polish when your lcp2 FTEs. Said they were gonna charge me next time, pfffttt next time Ill cold blue it first. That POS wasn't reliable and had to sell it, never again. Ruger is good for 22 pistols.

Posts: 1871 | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Operations:

Yep. 3 pins to go from fully assembled to bare frame.

You can detail strip a Glock in ~30 seconds with just a punch (or even just something like a ballpoint pen). Reassembly doesn't take much longer, with just the same tool.

Yeah, but it'll still be a glock when you're done.

quote:
Always outnumbered, Never out gunned.

Posts: 1339 | Location: Central Missouri | Registered: April 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of the time I was new to 1911s and forgot to rotate the barrel lug clockwise before compressing the recoil spring. Red Facex

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:
Reminds me of the time I was new to 1911s and forgot to rotate the barrel lug clockwise before compressing the recoil spring. Red Facex

I'm sure we've all been there. I've got a (semi) firm rule of wearing safety glasses when working on firearms. It's saved my eyesight at least a few times.

Posts: 34 | Location: Ohio | Registered: March 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
That, and the two springs that went "sprong" into a deep carpet the same color as the springs.

Been there, many times. I have found an extendable magnet pick up tool and a flashlight quite handy. You might not see it, but the magnet will grab it. There are still some mystery missing items that obviously fell into some sort of black hole. Just re-order, then.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post