SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    For the love of a good 22lr pistol.
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
For the love of a good 22lr pistol. Login/Join 
Member
posted
I love starting out my range day with 22lr practice. For the most part I focus on Trigger pull, and sight picture. Because I shoot a gamut of wacky ass pistols, DDA/SA, DAO, SA 3 dot, gutter sights, fixed sights, or target sights. I like a very wide range of 22lr pistols and revolvers. I find that taking the time with the 22lr first makes my centerfire pistol practice much more efficient.

Here lies my current stable of 22lr pistols. Long gone are the Volquartsen, Tac-Sol, Marvel units, my tuned Ruger MKII and MKIII's. Now I have what I am most likely going to haul to the range.

 
Posts: 3273 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Nice collection DSgrouse.

I'm with you, overall I'm enjoying my .22 pistols and rifles more than any of the others.


No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.
 
Posts: 4310 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
You need a standard Beretta 87. My favorite 22 of all time. I like your Rugers but mine all still have the Volquartsen innards.
 
Posts: 1322 | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I don't see a model 41 or a Hi Standard ???

Bob


I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.
 
Posts: 3773 | Location: Mass | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
You need a standard Beretta 87. My favorite 22 of all time. I like your Rugers but mine all still have the Volquartsen innards.
+1000 to that.
 
Posts: 35844 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:
I don't see a model 41 or a Hi Standard ???

Bob


I have not found the right 41, i have had many hi standards. My biggest draw back was magazines. I like having a minimum of 5 or enough to load 50 rounds. Finding enough mags, for your lets say sportking, is not super hard. Finding 5 that work every time is. I have had more luck with my woodsman mags.

As for my rugers, well i have done the volquartsen thing nearly a half dozen times. It never really seems to work out thet way i hope. I have owned 2 vq guns, and a 3rd i put togetger of all vq parts. Again, while good, it is not as out of the box good as the woodsman or xeese/trailside. I was always tinkering with them. I was alway cleaning them. It seemed that after 250 300 rounds they dirtied up so much that the trigger became gritty and began to annoy me. I started carrying around a compressed air to blow out gunk. It became more of a frustration and annoyance than a pleasant trip to the range.
 
Posts: 3273 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Are you as impressed with the Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory as I am? Extremely accurate. I recently swapped out my TruGlo red dot reflex for a Burris Fastfire III.




STOP TRYING TO MAKE EVERYBODY HAPPY -
YOU'RE NOT TEQUILA

 
Posts: 2866 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I have, 3 victories..... that should say enough...
 
Posts: 3273 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
That's a very impressive collection DSgrouse. Funny you should post this thread today... It so happens, that I was over at the range this morning with my 2 favorite 'Old School' 22s. Love these little pistols!

Beretta 87 & Walther PP



"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because there's a quote with a picture next to it." ~ Abraham Lincoln
 
Posts: 536 | Location: Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I love .22LR pistols too – so fun to shoot. But my philosophy is that the fewer pistols you have, the better you know each of them. My pistols:

CF target: 9mm SIG X5 Comp with Burke action job.
RF target: Beretta 87 Target (like yours).
HD: the X5 Comp again.
CCW: SIG P238.

So three pistols total, all SAO, all have 1911-angle grips.

I love the 87T: all machined metal; external thumb-cockable hammer; reliable with all ammo; easy take-down and reassembly. The most frequent complaint about this pistol is its long trigger over-travel, but I put an over-travel stop on mine.




Cognition?
On.
 
Posts: 2196 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tooky13:
Funny you should post this thread today... that's an impressive collection DSgrouse. It so happens, that I was over at the range this morning with my 2 favorite 'Old School' 22s. Love these little pistols!

Beretta 87 & Walther PP



I like that walther pp.......

I may have to add that to the list
 
Posts: 3273 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I love .22LR pistols too – so fun to shoot. But my philosophy is that the fewer pistols you have, the better you know each of them. My pistols:

CF target: 9mm SIG X5 Comp with Burke action job.
RF target: Beretta 87 Target (like yours).
HD: the X5 Comp again.
CCW: SIG P238.

So three pistols total, all SAO, all have 1911-angle grips.

I love the 87T: all machined metal; external thumb-cockable hammer; reliable with all ammo; easy take-down and reassembly. The most frequent complaint about this pistol is its long trigger over-travel, but I put an over-travel stop on mine.


I simply enjoy to many guns to limit myself in that way. I have far fewer than i used to, both in rim fire and centerfire. Yet i still have a list, when i come across something on that list.....
 
Posts: 3273 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Victory S&W is great in bowling pin matches with light-weight barrel. Right at the "weight" limit for wife. With the advent of Ruger Mark IV, others have had her shooting 22/45 Lite. So far, with CCI SV she hits 25 yard gong almost every time and 50 yard gong most of the time. Tried Federal Match HV and in that light pistol one notes a big increase in recoil. Should be easy to put compensator on. What has been the experience of others.

Some difficulties have been expressed with what I assume is Volquartsen's trigger/action fix - a significant replacement of parts. The Mark IV kit might be different than the kits for Mark II, and III. Comments? Mac


Mac in Michigan
 
Posts: 356 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Great collection of 22's I love them . I have 2 volquartsen, never shoot them just safe queens. I looking forward to a mark 4.
 
Posts: 616 | Location: GA | Registered: September 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P320Mac:
Victory S&W is great in bowling pin matches with light-weight barrel. Right at the "weight" limit for wife. With the advent of Ruger Mark IV, others have had her shooting 22/45 Lite. So far, with CCI SV she hits 25 yard gong almost every time and 50 yard gong most of the time. Tried Federal Match HV and in that light pistol one notes a big increase in recoil. Should be easy to put compensator on. What has been the experience of others.

Some difficulties have been expressed with what I assume is Volquartsen's trigger/action fix - a significant replacement of parts. The Mark IV kit might be different than the kits for Mark II, and III. Comments? Mac


Putting the VQ trigger parts in were never much of an issue. Keeping it clean with the amount i shoot was. Once it became dirty, it felt lime the trigger was encased in sand. Requiring me to clean it far more than other guns. We all know how lovely that is. I do not have a mkIV yet. I have no reall need for one with the mkii a d miii's i currently have.
 
Posts: 3273 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Very nice .22 collection DSgrouse.


____________________________
NRA Life Member, GOA, MGO Annual Member
 
Posts: 10540 | Location: MI | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Thank you, i am not sure what i want next.

I have been thinking benelli p90s.
 
Posts: 3273 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Nice collection. I like the Ruger Mark series. I'm probably going to pick up another Ruger this week.

Here's a pic because a response is just better with one...lol

 
Posts: 86 | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striperkid:
Nice collection. I like the Ruger Mark series. I'm probably going to pick up another Ruger this week.

Here's a pic because a response is just better with one...lol



Now that i pretty unique.!
 
Posts: 3273 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
High Speed Low Drag
Operator in the Innis Mode
Picture of Ke Bo Li
posted Hide Post
Very nice assortment
I'm down to a 6" Colt Diamondback at the moment. After 3 Ruger autos, 2 High Standards, a Trailside, and a Mdl 41 over the past 30 years.
While I love the Colt, and the Trailside was the funnest, I miss the High Standards.

Was lusting after one or two on-line yesterday. With a little red dot on it... cinder blocks at 100yds baby. I kid you not.


***********************
I think the "check engine" light is burned out
 
Posts: 655 | Location: Portland,OR | Registered: October 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    For the love of a good 22lr pistol.

© SIGforum 2017