SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    In the age of the micro 9mm, who is still carrying a 1911 regularly?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In the age of the micro 9mm, who is still carrying a 1911 regularly? Login/Join 
Picture of ruger357
posted
If so, which one?

I ask because I’ve had a hankering for a lightweight commander lately. Also trying to decide if I want it in 45 or 9mm.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
As far as a lightweight carry .45, I like the Colt Defender Lightweight. It does buck a bit in .45 ACP, 9mm might be a good choice in this model, but I have never personally fired one in 9mm.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
A wise instructor once told me to carry the largest gun you shoot the best. Carrying a gun because it’s small that you can’t run fast and accurately is too large a compromise. That led me away from my 365 and back to a Glock 19 for the last year. That move made me try putting an XL frame on a 365, that I’m running the same way I run a service gun in training. I still shoot and carry my 1911s from time to time and do not feel under gunned. My smallest and lightest being a Wilson Compact in 45. If I were buying one for serious carry right now today a lightweight in 9mm would be a perfect balance between wants and what I have already. My choice for carry comes down to the gun I shoot the fastest with the most good hits. If that gun for you is any flavor of 1911 then go for it.

Posts: 2949 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I’ve gone on sprees with my Ruger SR1911 Officers model..

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I’ve been carrying a Sig Scorpion 1911 chambered in 45ACP for about a year now. I believe the Sig is about a Commander length 1911. It rides in a Galco vertical shoulder holster.

This swap came about under certain circumstances.

I’ve had some hip issues and swapped to a shoulder rig to keep the weight off my hip. It has helped tremendously, BTW.
I’ve also been losing some extra pounds, and the shoulder rig makes a pretty decent set of suspenders. Smile

The pistol has been 100% reliable so far. And I can ring steel at 50 yards about 70% of the time with my nearly 50 year old, badly nearsighted eyes.

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I still carry my Sig Ultra 1911 on occasion but my Sig P938 is my primary carry gun anymore.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My EDC is a a Dan Wesson ECO in .45. Carries well and shoots great. I have a 365xl, but the ECO keeps ending up on may belt.

Posts: 45 | Registered: June 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I'll do you one better: I carry a full-size 2011. Wink

I did carry a full-size SIG 1911 in .357, though, for a short time a few years ago.

When I get money that isn't going to buying magazines and receivers, I'm going to get a 2011 commander sized gun to replace the full-size.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From time to time, I pack my Ruger SR1911 5 inch. IWB is a Milt Sparks Summer Special. OWB is a Kramer horsehide version of the old Askins Avenger. I forget what Kramer calls it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Yep. My most often carried off duty guns are full size 1911s. Probably my TRP is in the lead. I’ve got a Colt Defender for when I want something smaller.

I generally carry a p365 when carrying off duty but based on my commission (business trips, places that don’t recognize my permit, etc). It’s a fine gun and an excellent choice, but I just prefer the old big iron.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
shorts season so the Seecamp or J frame get the most carry time,

I do still carry a 80's vintage steel frame Colt Commander (series 80) often

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I carried a Dan Wesson CBOB (Commander Classic Bobtail - a steel frame Commander with the Ed Brown bobtail mainspring housing) in 10mm for a long time.

The size of the gun wasn't at all a problem, but the weight was a bit of one.

I also decided that speed and accuracy were (to a point) more important than the extra power of the 10mm.

Based on all of that, I recently bought an Ed Brown EVO-KC9 Lightweight to be my primary carry pistol. It's an aluminum frame, bobtailed almost-Commander (the barrel is 4" long instead of 4.25") with a slightly slimmed down slide, chambered in 9mm.

A steel-framed Commander (with empty mag) is about 36 ounces. The EVO-KC9-LW (also with empty mag) is about 27. That's not much heavier than a lot of similarly-sized polymer guns like a Glock 19 or Sig P320 Compact.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
On occasion, I'll carry my DW Guardian in 38 Super. For me it's a perfect blend of gun & cartridge.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 704 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
My most frequently carried gun is a Colt Lightweight Defender in .45ACP. Still thinking about a small lightweight 9mm to replace the role of my J-frames, but I've been thinking about that for years like back when a Kahr was the only option.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admit nothing. Deny everything.
Make counter-accusations.
Picture of rkentm
posted Hide Post
I almost exclusively carry a Dan Wesson TCP. Whatever magic they put in this gun, I shoot it better than just about anything else I own.

"Ladies and Gentlemen - The Fit has hit the Shan!"

Posts: 568 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Me. I have four steel-framed Government Models that I gravitate amongst for most of my concealed-carry. Most often, I use a Summer Special IWB holster from either Milt Sparks or the “new” Bruce Nelson Combat Leather line; sometimes, I opt for a Milt Sparks Roadrunner OWB holster (it rides high and has a strong forward cant much like the Summer Special IWBs). One spare magazine in a Sparks S4C pouch. S&W J-frame 642 in a pocket holster as a BUG.

I also have a Glock 26 that fills the carry-role sometimes. It’s my only Glock and I like it a lot; however, the 1911 is what I spend most of my carry / range / training / practice time with.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still carry 1911. Commander size.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Commander sized Guncrafter 1911 (9mm and .45). I still carry the 9mm (10+1) once in a while.

Posts: 1884 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the occasions that I can use an OWB holster with a bit of drop, I will sometimes still carry a full-sized 1911. (The old shoulder and wrist are not as freely-operable, anymore, so high-ride holsters, and IWB, are no longer best practice.) Well, it would be more accurate to say that I will still carry a 1911, when my COVID vaccine has had a chance to take full effect, so I can resume range visits. Any time I cannot train often enough, I gravitate to carrying revolvers, as long-stoke DA is my less-perishable skill. In this panic-demic, I have been revolving around. Wink

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
Sig Ultra 1911 in a Wright Leather Predator.
Pico IWB hot summer.

Posts: 493 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post