SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    In the age of the micro 9mm, who is still carrying a 1911 regularly?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In the age of the micro 9mm, who is still carrying a 1911 regularly? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Oh, and what “age of the micro-nine?” I have aged-OUT of micro-nines. Those little buggers hurt. I now use “orthopedic” nines, with big, comfortable grips. G17. G19x.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I love a 1911 but hate the grip safety, so I carry the next best thing, a P220 in .45ACP.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
I know it's against the trends, but I'm never interested in the smallest of any of them.

Kimber Pro Carry (4") is the smallest pistol I'll choose and it's a favorite because together we shoot very well.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2008 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
I love a 1911 but hate the grip safety, so I carry the next best thing, a P220 in .45ACP.

How about a hi power or someone made a fix for the grip safety called “the answer”. Maybe Novak. Or some folks just tied it down with rawhide.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Adding-on from my earlier post in this thread; one of my full-size 1911s (a Series 70 Colt in this shot with some work from the former Yost-Bonitz Custom partnership as well as KGB Customs) and one of my Summer Special IWB holsters (this one from Erik Little’s revived Bruce Nelson Combat Leather line).

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:
Adding-on from my earlier post in this thread; one of my full-size 1911s (a Series 70 Colt in this shot with some work from the former Yost-Bonitz Custom partnership as well as KGB Customs) and one of my Summer Special IWB holsters (this one from Erik Little’s revived Bruce Nelson Combat Leather line).

I think I’ve seen that one before. Dang nice pistol!

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
I think I’ve seen that one before. Dang nice pistol!

Hey, thank you! I may well have posted these pics out here before.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TheFrontRange,

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted Hide Post
Me. A Dan Wesson V-Bob is my normal selection for a carry gun in a RGrizzle holster. Sometimes I’ll jump back to a Springfield XD9 subcompact but the 45 and the holster just ride a lot more comfortably than anything else that have.

---------------
"Structural engineering is the art of moulding materials we don't understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot really access, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." Dr. A. R. Dykes

Posts: 2229 | Location: 500 Miles from the homeland | Registered: February 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:

I too love the 1911, but it's the manual thumb safety that DQs it as a carry option for me rather than the grip safety. I don't mind the grip safety in the least, but I won't have a carry gun with a device that needs to be consciously deactivated in order to bring it into action. I've found a very similar solution to yours, though...I carry a P245.

Posts: 8541 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone to the Dogs
Picture of tomgun
posted Hide Post
This t-3 shoots so great it makes me look good, and that’s why I carry it.
It’s heavy with the steel frame, but I carry K & L frame revolvers sometimes so I’m used to that.

Posts: 1696 | Location: Lake Tapps, WA. | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Yep. If you’re counting 2011s then I’ll count my Staccato C2.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Who is 'still...'"

Well, that's not me because I never have carried a 1911. I own several. I shoot them all the time. I appreciate the design. IMO... well, it was 1911. Firearm design has produced better options for civilian concealed carry.

I've had several different choices over the years. Including two S&W revolvers for years. Been the same CCW for about five years now though.. HK P2000 LEM in .357 Sig. I appreciate the general design of the P2000. I love LEM for daily carry, far more than a single action and safety. And while it is supposed to be the thing for old farts to love .45 ACP... I'll take my 12+1 rounds of .357 Sig over 7-8 rounds of .45 ACP. That's just me.

"Hope" is the thing with feathers -
That perches in the soul -

Posts: 687 | Location: Vinita, OK | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
Who?
Clint Smith for one

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1302 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
My Kimber Ultra CDP II has been my primary carry gun since I got it some 17 years ago.

If by chance I'm looking to go for something more lightweight I'll switch to my S&W 351PD .22 mag.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
My preferred CCW setup:
Dan Wesson CCO in an Andrews McDaniel II IWB along with a Sig P238 in a RKBA pocket holster. Pictured with a Matt Cucchiara customized Large BG-42 Sebenza.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
If i may offer a slight alternative...

Am carrying a CZ 75BD almost constantly.

16+1 and the skinniest double stack i have experienced with my messed up right paw.

It shoots so well i think someone else is doing the work.

Mebbe some of their pistole selection might be worth a look?

Still amazed at how well it fits my hand

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:
If i may offer a slight alternative...

Am carrying a CZ 75BD almost constantly.

16+1 and the skinniest double stack i have experienced with my messed up right paw.
It shoots so well i think someone else is doing the work.

Mebbe some of their pistole selection might be worth a look?

Still amazed at how well it fits my hand
Big Grin

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
who is still carrying a 1911 regularly?

I carry mine with a full magazine, one in the tube and the hammer down. visually, when someone see it that way, it doesn't set off the "he has a gun!" alarm as much as carrying with the hammer back (this has been my experience) also, for those of you who think that will take excessive time to pull the hammer back, it takes no more time than releasing the "safety", especially when using a military hammer like I do. (I clearanced the beavertail safety to accommodate the military hammer, and it works perfectly, especially when I lower the hammer by hand).

Posts: 105 | Registered: March 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Yep, along with P220, but usually will switch to P239 or P320 in summer.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Star PD. IMHO the original compact 45 ACP.

Posts: 90 | Location: SW VA | Registered: January 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post