SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The RTF-2 fish gills are back...,
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The RTF-2 fish gills are back..., Login/Join 
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted
Glock Gen 3 RTF-2 fish gills.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
RTF - The only Glock worth owning. Cool

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have a Gen 3 Model 23 with 'fish gills'. This particular gun was a nearby FTF purchase. In the Glock family, the 23 seems to fit my 'do everything' needs.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Doesn't that wood rasp finish kill your side/appendix etc. I mean I don't even like the P30s texture rubbing my side. I like a smoother side for carry. Aggressive front and back are fine.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Doesn't that wood rasp finish kill your side/appendix etc. I mean I don't even like the P30s texture rubbing my side. I like a smoother side for carry. Aggressive front and back are fine.

Just a little sandpaper to the sides, leaving the front and back straps alone, will do wonder.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never understood the appeal of the fish gills. I like Glocks and have a couple but the gills didn't really do anything for me. I do like the customized slide options out there now though.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
I never understood the appeal of the fish gills. I like Glocks and have a couple but the gills didn't really do anything for me. I do like the customized slide options out there now though.

It is actually functional. Contrast that with the vertical serrations, or the reverse fish gills that are found on some XDs. You (I) can tell that it is easier to rack the slide with the Glock fish gills.

Q

posted Hide Post
Later RTF2 pistol are mostly straight serrations. By the time the Glock 19 got the RTF2 treatment, Glock had largely given up on the scalloped serrations.

However, the scalloped serrations are what’s on the CA roster, which seems to be the only damn reason the old guns (HK USP45 Expert/Elite, anyone?) get another breath of fresh air. The G19 RTF2 is not on the roster. I will be picking up a G17 RTF2.

Posts: 122 | Location: California | Registered: July 09, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
the fishgills are my favorite. I want one.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I had a G22 RTF2 with those and I actually really liked everything about it. Except that it was a .40. The slide of my Gen 1 17 on that RTF2 frame was just pure magic. So a new 17 RTF2 with some trigger work is now pretty high on my short list. I had a G19 RTF2 Vickers without the gills and wished I had an original, and now I wish they were offering the 19 with the gills here now, but alas.

I'll be trying for sure to get ahold of a 17, with a complete 34 or 17L upper to follow at some point. I want a Gen 3 9mm in the stable, this is the ticket. I really liked the half moons compared to standard slide serrations.

I wonder what the slide finish will be like? My 22 had the super slick finish. I wouldn't mind that, but I'm not holding my breath.

Posts: 17124 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
Glock has been hitting home run after home run the last couple years. I'm happy to see these come back, hopefully they make a decent amount. The 17/19 fishgill rtf market was getting out of control.

Posts: 3569 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
DAMMIT. And here I thought I was done with buying more G19s for a while. Me want fishgills on a G19 to go with my gilled G17 from the first time around. RTF2 is still the best Glock frame finish in hand; it does suck monkey balls wearing for carry though. There's nothing wrong with a Gen3 factory trigger, comparatively speaking, to the mushiness of the Gen4/5. Guess I gotta order myself one.

And yes, the edges of the 'gills' ARE most effective even if some folks think that they are facing in the wrong direction. 'Sharp' doesn't begin to describe the bite those edges have on my G17.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sammael
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EmpireState:
The 17/19 fishgill rtf market was getting out of control.

Sure was. Wonder if the 'old' fish gill 17/19s will hold their value at least somewhat, or if the bottom will drop out...?

If they are finishing the new ones with the new finish that's on the Gen 5s, it very well may.

I can't think of much else the 'old' vs 'new' Gen 3 RTFs could differ on. They're too neat to put the late Gen 3 / early Gen 4 'chalky, look-at-it-and-it-scratches' finish. I have a 19 RTF with the older 'teflon' finish, and that's one I don't think I'll ever part with.

Hope the newer ones hit shelves soon; I sure would like to buy, I mean, ummm... see one. : )

Posts: 571 | Registered: August 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bummer that the 19 will be without fish gills

Posts: 82 | Registered: March 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Fish gills on G17/19 very cool!!

Fish gills on Sig 551, yeeesh !!!

HK Ag

Posts: 3499 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheLastOne:
Bummer that the 19 will be without fish gills

Now that I looked at the promotion pic, yeah, it's indeed looking like a bummer. I'll have to ultimately handle one to verify but if the texture's the same as what Glock did with the Vickers G19 then why bother without the gills? They'll have already done this G19 through the Vickers promotion, only with all the TangoDown accessories provided on the side.

Yeah, bummer it will be alright...

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
"Glock reintroduced because of huge demand...limited time offer..."

Translation: we found some rtf frames and slides in the warehouse and want to get rid of them.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:

Translation: we found some rtf frames and slides in the warehouse and want to get rid of them.
Your translator is faulty.

Posts: 122 | Location: California | Registered: July 09, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's SIG's trick, not Glock's. Look at the Talo and Davidson's offerings over the past few years. Glock is doing limited runs of guns with mixed features. The plastic molds easily, and in different colors, too! Not a mind-bender to believe that they decided to break out some old molds (they store easier than produced frames) and saved the CNC file for the slide serrations (you know... also stores easily) because enough people asked for them. When you produce pistols the way they do, it's easy to produce variations incredibly easily. This is a completely different animal than SIG selling a run of railed P228's with folded slides, or somesuch.

I want an RTF2 17 pretty badly now. I think I'm going to see about ordering one tomorrow.

Posts: 17124 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:

That's SIG's trick, not Glock's. Look at the Talo and Davidson's offerings over the past few years. Glock is doing limited runs of guns with mixed features. The plastic molds easily, and in different colors, too! Not a mind-bender to believe that they decided to break out some old molds (they store easier than produced frames) and saved the CNC file for the slide serrations (you know... also stores easily) because enough people asked for them. When you produce pistols the way they do, it's easy to produce variations incredibly easily. This is a completely different animal than SIG selling a run of railed P228's with folded slides, or somesuch.

I want an RTF2 17 pretty badly now. I think I'm going to see about ordering one tomorrow.

I know for a fact that it is a lot of manufacturers trick. Maybe GLOCK, maybe not but a lot.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post