SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Bonehead Move - Laughing At Myself...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bonehead Move - Laughing At Myself... Login/Join 
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted
So I went to the range today with a locked pistol bag with my Sig P220/.45, G19, and XD-S/9. I wanted to try the P220 with the new grips I put on a couple weeks ago, and I wanted to try the G19 since I changed the connector and trigger, and did the $.25 trigger job.

So I pay my range fee, buy a couple targets, and proceed to my lane. I put the pistol bag on the bench and then the light bulb goes off - I left the damn key at home!! What a BONEHEAD!

In order for it not to be a total failure, I instead shot my carry gun, my M11-A1. As it turns out, it was a pretty good session! I was pretty happy with my shooting today; maybe it was Divine Intervention that I should shoot my carry gun today? I used Blazer Brass 115gr., Federal Aluminum 115gr., and Syntech 115gr. The M11-A1, as expected, loved all of them. That gun makes me look good!

Anyway, just thought I'd let you all laugh along with me... Big Grin I can't believe I did that... Roll Eyes

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1680 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why a locked bag? Just a question. As I remember Tucson, there is no legal requirement. Where I lived, ready access was a MUST. (4444 Benson Highway.)

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Fredward,

LOL... No requirement for it, just an extra precaution, as I made another stop or two prior to the range.

Besides, I had my M11-A1 on my hip for any "difficulties" I might have encountered. Wink

Did you ever visit Marksman Pistol Institute on 29th?

SigFan

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1680 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Combination lock. No key needed. I always set all mine to the same code.
So I don't... What was I... Oh, forget the combination.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like something I would have done.The big thing is that you made a positive out of a negative.

I shot on Monday afternoon and I was pleased as well with my shooting with my carry gun.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
So I went to the range today with a locked pistol bag with my Sig P220/.45, G19, and XD-S/9. I wanted to try the P220 with the new grips I put on a couple weeks ago, and I wanted to try the G19 since I changed the connector and trigger, and did the $.25 trigger job.

So I pay my range fee, buy a couple targets, and proceed to my lane. I put the pistol bag on the bench and then the light bulb goes off - I left the damn key at home!! What a BONEHEAD!

In order for it not to be a total failure, I instead shot my carry gun, my M11-A1. As it turns out, it was a pretty good session! I was pretty happy with my shooting today; maybe it was Divine Intervention that I should shoot my carry gun today? I used Blazer Brass 115gr., Federal Aluminum 115gr., and Syntech 115gr. The M11-A1, as expected, loved all of them. That gun makes me look good!

Anyway, just thought I'd let you all laugh along with me... I can't believe I did that...

Give yourself a break. When you go to the range and forget to wear your pants is when you need to be concerned. Small children, job stress and rushing will cause people to display inattentive behaviors. That is why we practice our gun handling skills all the time. Locking your pistol bag does not qualify as gun handling in my book.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
at the range last time I went, I watched another shooter, probably mid 20's, packing up his handguns. he had one of those nicer hard cases for multiple pistols. he packed it up and then put two of the long gun locks - the cable kind that come with pistols - through the lock holes, and wrap them around the handle, too. He struggled to actually get the locked, but once he had it all wired up and locked, He just dropped the two keys in his pocket and left.

That was my thought - well, after "wtf is he doing?" and "hasn't he heard of a combo lock?" was "hope he doesn't lose those little keys."

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
At least you made something out of the trip! A buddy of mine got a new FNX45 and was all excited about going to the range. Loaded up his ammo, magazines and ear and eye pro but you guessed it, he forgot the pistol..

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Thanks, y'all! It sounds like I'm not alone, at least!

Yooper -- the combination lock sounds like a good idea.

SigFan

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
AZ + locked pistol bag = bonehead Razz

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
I've done similar.

I have a membership to a shooting club in a neighboring state - PASA in Illinois. Although not terribly far, it is a two hour journey each way. And well worth the paltry sum of membership even for the five or six times a year I get to go.

One day, after just putting a new scope on my CZ 455 and being all charged up about taking it to their excellent rimfire range, I disassembled and cleaned the rifle. I put it back together and put it in the case to take.

I remembered the rifle, but in my excitement, I'd left the magazine on my workbench in my shop, two hours away . . . right next to my match ammo. It wasn't a total loss, as I was able to clumsily load and shoot one at a time, but it was sub-optimal. Crappy Winchester bulk ammo, and slow to load, but it was better than nothing.

I feel your pain.

Posts: 10740 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Ordered ten new Ruger MK IV magazines from Greg Côte. Cleaned and loaded those and the two magazines that came with the pistol and headed to the range. Opened the range bag and no magazines, left them on the work bench in my haste to get to the range. Frown

Thankfully, I live less than two miles from the range. The guys at the range haven't let me forget it to this day. Smile

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1929 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
I'm starting to feel much better about myself after hearing these other stories. Wink

SigFan

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigFan:
I put the pistol bag on the bench and then the light bulb goes off - I left the damn key at home!! What a BONEHEAD!

I'd have never done anything so bone headed, and wouldn't have had the bag locked (especially as someone would simply run off with the bag then cut off the lock).

I'd have shown up with the wrong magazines or some other bone headed act.

Not that I've ever done that before...

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Billy346
posted Hide Post
Once I headed to the range, opened my bag, and realized that I forgot my pistol mags. Luckily I was there with my Dad, so I shot his gun instead.

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhookbklyn:
Ordered ten new Ruger MK IV magazines from Greg Côte. Cleaned and loaded those and the two magazines that came with the pistol and headed to the range. Opened the range bag and no magazines, left them on the work bench in my haste to get to the range. Frown

Thankfully, I live less than two miles from the range. The guys at the range haven't let me forget it to this day. Smile

I own a Ruger MKIII & a Browning Buckmark.
I have gotten to the range with my Ruger and had a full complement of Buckmark mags.... Frown

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Combination lock. No key needed. I always set all mine to the same code.
So I don't... What was I... Oh, forget the combination.

Recently had my bike in the truck bed bike rack locked in with a lock. Almost got to the trail head (Greenbrier River Trail) from where I was staying 40 miles away, and remembered...left the keychain with the key back at the cottage!

But, stopped at a poultry farm, and one if the workers helped me, cut the lock off with bolt cutters...

The combination lock suggestion rings home.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I forgot to bring enough ammo once, so I had to walk the 1/4 mile back up to my house to get more. I then walked back down to my range and shot most of that up.

Yes I'm bragging of a range in my back 40. Razz

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nframe:
Yes I'm bragging of a range in my back 40. Razz

That would be so awesome!

SigFan

It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
AZ + locked pistol bag = bonehead Razz

Yup! Smile

SigFan