SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    States where hollow points are NOT legal
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

States where hollow points are NOT legal Login/Join 
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted
I was discussing this with a friend of mine that travels a fair amount. He normally keeps GDHP's in his weapon.

I've poked around handgunlaw.us and it looks like NJ does not really allow them, except for maybe EFMJ, where else and to what extent are non-FMJ rounds deemed illegal? NYS/NYC?

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are legal in Ohio.
Just another nonsensical gun law. I think they are safer to use around a lot of people, not for the target however.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
New Jermany....Where hollow point ammunition is legal to purchase, but possession of said ammo is NOT legal. Roll Eyes

Regarding New Yorkistan - I'd advise against being in NYC with ANY ammo!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8877 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
New Jermany....Where hollow point ammunition is legal to purchase, but possession of said ammo is NOT legal. Roll Eyes

Regarding New Yorkistan - I'd advise against being in NYC with ANY ammo!
I get that, but is it illegal?

NRA Benefactor

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
No states I believe. (If someone says NJ its not true, they are illegal to use "in a crime" not illegal to purchase or own or shoot
Legally)

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amurr:
No states I believe. (If someone says NJ its not true, they are illegal to use "in a crime" not illegal to purchase or own or shoot
Legally)
Well their law in NJ is a bit, poorly written, because it really looks like transiting the state with JHP's "could" be deemed as illegal, that's why I'm asking.

NRA Benefactor

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
NJ it is illegal to use HP's in commission of a crime and illegal to carry them if you are lucky enough to have a conceal carry permit. But for instance carry Powerball or Critical Defense is ok. You can buy HP all over NJ.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Frakin' idiotic, ignorant law. Hollowpoints are safer than fmj. Anyone who has to ask why this is so should not be making any laws regarding ammunition. Deeply ignorant, a child's point of view.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107556 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
I had no idea that this was a thing. My condolences to those of you effected.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
From Hangunlaw.us:
quote:

Note:
As with other ammunition and firearms, a sportsman would have to comply with the provisions of
N.J.S.A
2C:39
-
6f and g when transporting hollow nose ammunition to a target range. The ammunition should be stored in a closed and fastened container or locked in the trunk of the motor vehicle in which it is being transported. The course of travel should be as direct as possible when going to and leaving from the target range with "only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances."
N.J.S.A
-
6g.

As I read this convoluted section on page 4, here, nothing addresses a non-resident transiting the state, so I'm just asking for anything someone can offer that covers the theoretical "just passing through" part of my friends scenario...

It also looks like even if you have a carry permit, you are not allowed to carry HP's, what am I missing? Use it at home or the range is GTG, but no carrying HP's?

NRA Benefactor

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
From Hangunlaw.us:
quote:

Note:
As with other ammunition and firearms, a sportsman would have to comply with the provisions of
N.J.S.A
-
6f and g when transporting hollow nose ammunition to a target range. The ammunition should be stored in a closed and fastened container or locked in the trunk of the motor vehicle in which it is being transported. The course of travel should be as direct as possible when going to and leaving from the target range with "only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances."
N.J.S.A
-
6g.

As I read this convoluted section on page 4, here, nothing addresses a non-resident transiting the state, so I'm just asking for anything someone can offer that covers the theoretical "just passing through" part of my friends scenario...

It also looks like even if you have a carry permit, you are not allowed to carry HP's, what am I missing? Use it at home or the range is GTG, but no carrying HP's?

Yes not for carry. Even retired cops who have carry permits can't carry traditional HP's. Most carry Powerball or other such ammo. Federal used to make a hydrashok that had a thin piece of copper covering the tip.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Legally)
Well their law in NJ is a bit, poorly written, because it really looks like transiting the state with JHP's "could" be deemed as illegal, that's why I'm asking.

Fair point. I guess since it's not possible to get a carry permit it's kind of a moot point!!!

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Legally)

Fair point. I guess since it's not possible to get a carry permit it's kind of a moot point!!!
Permit or no is not the issue.
The way I read this, simply traveling through the state as a non-resident just passing through with an otherwise properly secured firearm "could" land you in jail. The only provisions I see in the law allow for transportation to and from the range from your own property, if you're a non-resident what happens then?
That's why I'm asking the question.

I know it's unlikely to get pulled over and have them find them, but is it illegal if you do?

NRA Benefactor

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Things are 'complicated' in NJ and NYC. Is it illegal....well that depends on exactly what you're doing at the time. Or it may depend on what the LEO 'thinks' you're doing at the time. Even if it is legal, you may be charged with a felony (or felonies), and have to spend months, along with tens of thousands of dollars to prove it!

In reading the NJ firearms statues, they are basically written to prohibit everyone, but then identify narrow exceptions for certain persons or activities. Usually those exceptions are for LEO's, and in many cases 'while engaged in the actual performance of his official duties.'

NJ 2C:39-3: Prohibited Weapons and Devices
f. Dum-dum or body armor penetrating bullets.
(1) Any person, other than a law enforcement officer or persons engaged in activities pursuant to subsection f. of N.J.S.2C:39-6, who knowingly has in his possession any hollow nose or dum-dum bullet...
(2) a. Nothing in subsection f. (1) shall be construed to prevent a person from keeping such ammunition at his dwelling, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition from the place of purchase to said dwelling or land...

Note: As with other ammunition and firearms, a sportsman would have to comply with the provisions of N.J.S.A 2C:39-6f and g when transporting hollow nose ammunition to a target range. The ammunition should be stored in a closed and fastened container or locked in the trunk of the motor vehicle in which it is being transported. The course of travel should be as direct as possible when going to and leaving from the target range with "only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances." N.J.S.A 2C:39-6g.

You can take a closer look at all of the contortionist language here --> ATF-P-5300-5-New-Jersey-2010

By my read, there are no exceptions for non-residents 'just passing through'! Wink

With respect to possession/transport of firearms (especially handguns) and ammunition in NJ & NYC, Just don't do it, DO NOT go there! I would drive around....It's really not worth it!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8877 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Well it's not for me, it's for a friend, but it appears my read of that convoluted mess isn't so far off base... I'm afraid to even look at the NYC codes.

NRA Benefactor

Picture of Berg
posted Hide Post
I believe only some brands are illegal in the City of San Francisco. But they are legal in the state of CA as a whole.

http://sanfranciscopolice.org/...rohibited-ammunition

Posts: 785 | Location: near the 101 and 92 in Calif. | Registered: August 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
From your link:

Winchester Black Talon
Federal Premium "Law Enforcement Ammunition Tactical"
Hornady "TAP (Tactical Application Police) Law Enforcement Ammunition"

So Speer GDHP is GTG, got it. Wink
Hell, they haven't made Black Talon ammo for years(since 2000), well before they banned it. This is teetering on stupid!

NRA Benefactor

Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
The only thing in all this that I can see for sure is....damn, I'm glad I live in Texas.

Posts: 801 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I inquired about traveling through NJ under LEOSA. I was told, by a member of the prosecutor's office, that I cannot have JHP in my handgun. Federal Guard Dog and Hornady Critical Defense were ok but no hollow point. As stupid as it seems I bought a box of critical defense for my G27 and took out my issued Win Ranger duty rounds when I drove through the Garden State.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
quote:
From Hangunlaw.us:
quote:

Note:
N.J.S.A
-
N.J.S.A
-
6g.

Yes not for carry. Even retired cops who have carry permits can't carry traditional HP's. Most carry Powerball or other such ammo. Federal used to make a hydrashok that had a thin piece of copper covering the tip.

There is one exception that I know of- if a retired law enforcement is LEOSA certified, they can carry hollow points but they are still restricted as far as magazine capacity is concerned.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post