SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Better universal sight pusher?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Better universal sight pusher? Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
Got a gift card from Amazon and will likely use it for a sight pusher.

Which is the better unit, the sight-tool.com universal pusher ( link ), or the NCSTAR heavy duty pusher ( link )?

The NCSTAR one is more expensive, but I like the idea of having measurements on the unit to make more precise adjustments.

I need a pusher to work with Glocks, 1911s, SIG classic and 320 profile slides.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Over the years, I've had two versions. Don't know the names . I must admit that for reasons unknown to me, I've never been clever enough to actually get them to work very well.

I usually just resort to a brass punch and small hammer and very carefully tapping. JMO

Posts: 1273 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Based on my experiences before getting the MGW Sight-Pro, I wouldn’t even consider the Sight-Tool version. It may actually work much better than it looks like to me, but I have found working with mechanical handgun sights to be the most frustrating gunsmithing experience, and I am very glad that I bought the one I did—despite its high price. I know that many people have had good success with far cheaper tools, but sometimes individual experiences depend on luck of the draw and the specific sights and guns involved.

In any event, of the two the ATG would be the one I’d take a chance on.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
I bought the Wheeler off Amazon. That thing is a beast. I swapped sights on a P938 last week and my P320 last night. I don't know much it wont fit.

The thing I don't like about the two you have listed, is the surface area that holds the slide. The Wheeler has 4 large (nickle sized) tabs that hold the slide tight about 4 inches in space. The two above are much shorter. I don't know if it makes a huge difference though?

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
Got a gift card from Amazon and will likely use it for a sight pusher.

Which is the better unit, the sight-tool.com universal pusher ( link ), or the NCSTAR heavy duty pusher ( link )?

The NCSTAR one is more expensive, but I like the idea of having measurements on the unit to make more precise adjustments.

I need a pusher to work with Glocks, 1911s, SIG classic and 320 profile slides.

Neither one.
I have the NCStar.
Their Achilles is their coarse threading.

Put you gift certificate towards an MGW

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nc Star is not known for their quality. I havev the Wheeler tool and have been happy with it, although it takes a while to get the gun locked in right. The only gun it has failed me on is the Beretta APX, which have notoriously impossible sights to adjust. The biggest downside to the Wheeler tool is that the screw that pushes the sight is above the plane of the sight, so there is torque imparted on the Sight body instead of a straight push.

I had looked at the Sight Tool one and thought it looked nice, but didn't offer anything the Wheeler didn't.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Easiest decision ever. MGW Sight Pro or Sight master whatever it is called. I can set up and swap sights with ZERO issues on everything I’ve tried. I have about 12 of the shoes so I have used it a lot. Seen bent sights with the smaller cheaper less adjustable versions.

This is the epitome of buy once cry once. You will never look back.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+1 on mgw sight pusher

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
I have the sight-tool.com. I’ve used it twice on Walthers with no issues. Well built, and I believe it to be pretty bullet proof.

"Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Louis

Posts: 591 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The MGW unit is extremely impressive. It works BETTER than the one brand pistol sight tools, by MGW, which shocked me. Every time I use mine I am thankful that it does such a great job and is so easy to use.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
In general, MGW is definitely the way to go, but requires a decent amount of money, both for the tool itself plus a new shoe for every type of handgun.

However, for the price, the Sight-Tool.com universal pusher works well. I bought one to use on P320s before there were P320-specific ones available. It's well-made and USA-made. (And FYI, you can get them for $15 cheaper than Amazon direct from the manufacturer on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Handg...-others/162774304090 )

I wouldn't buy anything made by NC Star. They're known for cheap Chinese junk gun accessories.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Sight-Tool and really like it. It worked well with my HK45 and a friend’s Glock (rear sight).

Posts: 130 | Location: GA | Registered: April 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
I have the sight-tool, and it works well for occasional use. Sure, go with the more expensive MGW if you’re a gunsmith or armorer and plan to use it frequently.

I would avoid the NCSTAR. Low quality import stuff.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10490 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the MGW Sight Pro.

Watch the video on it.

Posts: 243 | Location: OH | Registered: January 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of cheapies, the Sight-tool, and the NC Star, as well as the Wheeler. For my likes, the Wheeler is the best I've used.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DirectDrive:
Agreed. Expensive but the last one you'll ever need.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Bought this years ago and while crude it has worked on all of my pistols.

Sight Pusher Tool by Sight Master | Install Or Adjust Sights On Most Handguns | Modify Sights Yourself | Made in the USA | T1003 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B..._apa_i_FDncEbZFWFZ5G

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by DirectDrive:
Agreed. Expensive but the last one you'll ever need.

Same.

You can save some $ by going with the Range Master Compact versus the Sight Pro if you don't intent to do pistols with long underlugs (some 1911s, XD long slides, etc.). I went this route and have had no issue as I don't have any long-slide guns.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
I've got MGWs for Sig and Glock. They were supposed to be the best back when I got them. They do work.

Need one for 1911's.

What would you folks recommend?

Is there one that does all three?

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Link shows I purchased the sight-tool in May 2017. Good quality. Glad they're still in business.

Posts: 3519 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post