SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W Model 29-2
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W Model 29-2 Login/Join 
Lost in the Woods
Picture of NHForester
posted
I know there is some love here for classic Smith revolvers. I just picked this one up off of layaway this morning. Only had a quick opportunity this afternoon to tear it down, recoil and clean it and send a couple of cylinders downrange before it started raining again. This is my first 44 Magnum but joins a dozen or more Smith revolvers in the safe.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Tnt76Bv

Posts: 1475 | Location: Newfound Lake, NH | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gary1911A1
posted Hide Post
They are great revolvers and as Dirty Harry said in the movie, Magnum Force, loan it with "Light Specials" or something to that effect.

Posts: 527 | Location: Southern Ohio for now. | Registered: December 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's in very good shape. The gun and the target grips. Nice score.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. .44 mag is a fun caliber, and that is a beautiful revolver.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a few of them over the years , They all shot good . I was just at a gun show and found a 29-5 6.5 in mint cond ,no box The price was good and I had to take it home . I think it was only made for a year or two its the one with a full lug kind off looks like a blued 586.

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary1911A1:
[A]s Dirty Harry said in the movie, Magnum Force, load it with "Light Specials" or something to that effect.

And was something that made absolutely no sense: Going from the “most powerful handgun in the world” to “no more powerful than any of many other handguns in the world.” I could only assume that was some screenwriter’s belief that handloading his own ammunition would somehow enhance Harry’s credibility with the gun nuts aficionados who dreamed of owning a model 29.

I pretended I never heard it.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
VERY nice addition to the collection! About as Classic as they get with S&W.

I have been shooting 29/629's since the early 1970's. Bought my first one maybe a month before the first Dirty Harry movie came out. They tripled in price a month later.

Mine see far fewer full boat mag loads, they mostly eat 8 grains of Unique over a 245-255 gr Keith style SWC. An accurate every day load. Still with some power to it, but much easier on the gun and the shooter than mag loads.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
I have a 29-3 3" Lew Horton with combat grips. I have a sweet spot for the big bores with short barrels.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Very nice find!

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1677 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost in the Woods
Picture of NHForester
posted Hide Post
Thank you for that. It’s very similar to a load a good friend just recommended which was just a half grain more.

quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:

I have been shooting 29/629's since the early 1970's. Bought my first one maybe a month before the first Dirty Harry movie came out. They tripled in price a month later.

Mine see far fewer full boat mag loads, they mostly eat 8 grains of Unique over a 245-255 gr Keith style SWC. An accurate every day load. Still with some power to it, but much easier on the gun and the shooter than mag loads.

Posts: 1475 | Location: Newfound Lake, NH | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Sweet M29!

The first revolver I ever shot (or handgun of any kind, come to think of it) was a 6”(?) 629 with a scope mounted at my friend cabin. I was 15 at the time and we shot it off a table / sandbags. I forget if I finished the cylinder or just popped 2 or 3 of the boomers.

Certainly memorable occasion!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
As soon as I saw the title, I was pretty sure you would post. I agree with you, but am a bit more cautious. I load 7 grains of Unique.

quote:

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the nice find.

Posts: 987 | Registered: January 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig210-6
posted Hide Post
29-2 Smile Thats a good one!

Posts: 1954 | Registered: April 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
As soon as I saw the title, I was pretty sure you would post. I agree with you, but am a bit more cautious. I load 7 grains of Unique.

quote:

7.0 , 7.5, 8.0 grains....ALL good.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
The SWCA meeting is in Dallas next month. I have not been for several year, but am going to this one as we have friends and relatives in the area.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:

quote:

7.0 , 7.5, 8.0 grains....ALL good.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
maxwayne,

Hopefully there should be some great displays and neat items fo sale. Last Western meeting I attended was Spokane. It was very disappointing. Few items for sale privately. Everyone got scared off as WA had recently enacted stringent gun laws.

Between the cost of membership, cost of attending and staying at the host hotel, it was very disappointing.

posted Hide Post
Great gun. I've had a couple 29s, still have 29-3. 29-2, still has the pinned&recessed very desirable, I'm envious, congrats on a nice pick up.

Posts: 9 | Location: Fox Valley, WI | Registered: January 22, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post