SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Help me ID a junk .380 crime gun
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me ID a junk .380 crime gun Login/Join 
posted
Our agency seized an odd, garbage .380 pistol last night. The serial number and all markings on the slide have been obliterated. Because the gun is part of a current case, I cannot post a photo.

Here are the attributes:

-Polymer frame with fixed barrel and heel mag release. Marked "No." In front of serial number plate.
-Slide appears milled with integral sights.
-Single action with exposed hammer.
-Manual safety above the trigger (where the disassembly pin is on an LCP). Safety is marked S and F.
-Polymer sliding trigger.

The gun was unloaded, so my best guess on capacity is 6-7 rounds. The magazine is single stack and has a cut out on the side that is too large and oddly placed for me to think it interchanges with something that has a US style mag release. The slide profile is reminiscent of a P220 or P226, but this is a relatively compact gun. Larger than an LCP but smaller than a Glock 26.

There are no marks left on any part of the gun or magazine. The design of the frame and use of polymer makes me think the gun is less than 30 years old and realistically, maybe less than 20. Because of the caliber, size, and sights, it is almost certainly American made as it would never make import points.

I've looked at more Phoenix, Lorcin, Bryco, Jennings, Jimenez, and Raven pics tonight than I want to admit and find nothing even close.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I was thinking maybe Tangfolio, but it doesn't have a heel release. Layout sounds like the old FIE Titans, but they weren't polymer. I'm at a loss without a picture (and maybe WITH one). Does it have ANY other markings left?

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Cobra Denali 380? It fits the bill of a cheap POS 380.

Posts: 2956 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Find an old pawnbroker. Bet one can ID the piece.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No markings anywhere. Somebody really went to town on the slide. The only thing on it, period is the abbreviation "No " in front of the serial number plate and "S" and "F" where the safety is.

I've looked at FIE and EAA and done a lot of Google searching with the combination of features on it and I've come up blank.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not a Cobra Denali. It has two finger grooves on the frame. Also has a guide rod instead of using the barrel as one like a lot of fixed barrels. It is a lift-off style disassembly like a Mak but has no disassembly lever or need to pull the trigger to disassemble.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Two suggestions-

If you can send a pic to another agency, I ll send you my work address and see if we can’t help you out.

Or

Find the person(s) that controls eTrace in your agency. They have a function where you can attach photos to a trace and the unidentified gun working group will help you ID and trace it if possible.

Hope this helps.

If you ever need anything in this type of case work, let me know. I do a ton of research, traces, and this type of investigations.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Accu-Tek? I don’t know if they ever made a polymer frame but they make SA .380s with heel mag release.

http://www.accu-tekfirearms.com/hc380.html

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
Accu-Tek?

http://www.accu-tekfirearms.com/hc380.html

Negative. This one has finger grooves and the safety is frame mounted, not slide mounted.

(I work for the same agency.)

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 813 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grendel P12?

Posts: 270 | Location: Iowa | Registered: April 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
The FBI used to have a huge firearm museum, quite often used for this purpose to identify guns. I would give them a try.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finger grooves like on a S&W bodyguard?
This has got me stumped.

Take a pic and email the local fbi office. One of the few things they're actually good at.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8340 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Pics man, we need pics!!!

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11277 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I’d think you could share the image with other LEO’s for investigative purposes without creating any issues... if the serial number is obliterated I don’t know why you couldn’t regardless.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15573 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe some pics of pistols fitting the general description of the one described by the OP could be posted and he could then identify it. If I had the tech know-how, I'd be glad to help out.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
That certainly is a bizarre combination of features. Confused

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think Jones has a good point on this one. E-trace submission or email would be my first choice if I couldn't ID it through image searches. Fortunately, I've been able to ID everything that I have been able to put hands on. There are a hell of a lot of frankenstein guns out there though.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Maybe if you take a picture and black it out for the silhouette so we can at least get a general shape to go by?

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Go to this website. If you can get your agency to buy a subscription (and it's not expensive), you can use a search function that might help you narrow down the type of pistol you're looking for:

https://www.firearmsguide.com/

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
That certainly is a bizarre combination of features. Confused
My thoughts exactly. Ive tried every serch engine I could muster throughout today but came up empty. The thing is feature rich with much, most shooters wouldnt have.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post