SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 19 Gen5 MOS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 19 Gen5 MOS Login/Join 
posted
I just picked up a G19 Gen5 MOS to give a try. I have owned a G17 gen5 but I sold it because I am transitioning over to RDS's on all of my pistols. It makes more sense to buy an MOS than spend the additional money to get them milled.

Overall it feels great and has the great gen5 trigger that breaks at exactly at 5lbs. I love that the grip on the MOS's does not have the half moon cut out. Lastly I am a big fan of front cocking serrations and the gen5 mos comes with them from the factory.

Now for the downside, and this is my fault for not inspecting the pistol better before I walked out of the store with it. But when I got home I noticed the rear sights were not pushed all of the way on. They are almost flush with the right side of the pistol. It came with glock night sights from the factory, so this is just a quality control issue with the final inspector.

I will head back to the store today and have them allign the rear sight with their pusher so this in not the end of the world just a minor speed bump.

Posts: 550 | Location: Texas | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
That kinda looks half ass. Center it up and roll. I put a couple hundred rounds with some new AmeriGlo’s I installed on my lunch break yesterday with mine. As soon as my Dara IWB arrives, she goes to the front of the line.

I chose the MOS model for the same reason you did too.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great pistol. I got so tired of sights being too far from one side to the other i finally just bought an MGW sight pusher. I got one for glock s and one for my berettas. It was like $200 for them but after I considered all the time and gas money i was spending driving back to my local shops to have them move sights around not to mention the aggravation they were worth every penny.
Enjoy shooting your 19

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a gen 5 19 MOS as well. I put an RMR on it but haven’t shot it yet. A set of suppressor height sights are inbound from Dawson Precision now.

Once I get the new sights on it, I’ll take it out for a spin.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seen quite a few reports of this with new Glocks in this last year or so.Easy fix but you would think the QC would have been fixed by now on this issue.
Was lucky I guess with my early Gen5 sights not needing adjustment.

Posts: 101 | Registered: January 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If your going to run an RDS they are coming off anyway, so I didn't sweat that mine were not centered.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Similar issue with the G19 Gen 5 MOS I just received 2 weeks ago as well.

Posts: 347 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is one of my very next purchases. The overall feedback on the Gen 5 G19 MOS has been outstanding.

Posts: 1091 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Just put a red dot on it, and ditch the factory sights for suppressor height sights to cowitness.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just got my first Glock ever. It’s also a 19 MOS gen5. I said what the heck let me go all out. I got it from XWERKS. The frame is coated in GlockFDE. Also Trijicon suppr height night sights. Looks great. And I shoot it better than my 229c 40 and my 229 9mm. Got an Olight mini. And C&H plate for the RMR. AND A DARA HOLSTER to fit the whole package. Now I’m gonna practice at the range for a bit, and at home. All this gear is new stuff for me. And then.... get my CCW license. I imagine it’s a better carry gun than my Sig since it’s like 10 ounces lighter. We’ll see. I plan on doing the same for my 229c(40). That’s a sweet one.

Posts: 31 | Location: Vidalia and Savannah Georgia | Registered: September 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why would you need an aftermarket plate for an RMR?

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
The only thing that makes the Gen5 G19 MOS kind of worth buying is the elimination of the front strap cutout. Why that same cutout doesn't bug me with my Gen2 G19 like it does on the base Gen5 G19s is still a bit of a puzzler, but I suspect the slightly shorter length of pull with the latest gen has a lot to do with it. The MOS version of course does away with the issue altogether, and for me makes the grip quite the nice thing to hold onto. The other change with the forward slide serrations is I suppose a plus add, if you're into such things. Glock would be well advised to make those changes to ALL Gen5 G19s (and G17s while they're at it). They've already revised the forward chamfered edge of the frame to match the slide's muzzle end; now just fix the stupid half moon.

Lessons learned:

If I were to do a RMR on a Gen5 G19, I'd rather have one with the slide milled for it rather than use the MOS plate system like I did with my Gen4 MOS. The plate system to me is a rather hokey kit of parts that adds undesirable height to the gun, plus a second set of mounting points to account for. And as I discovered and posted ages ago, the plates are MIM and crack rather easily if dropped (now how it holds up while it's mounted and the gun is dropped, I'll let someone else beta test that scenario; I feel no need to possibly send a RM07 back to Trijicon for repair in case the RMR takes it on the chin and loses). Plus the whole 'sandwich' when stacked and screwed down just looks half-assed and amateurish in execution, as if the red dot was jury rigged.

I'd also suck it up and make bloody sure that the NEXT RMR is a Type 2. Those damn lower priced Type 1s still floating around and their stupid $20 battery sheetmetal shims have been a joke. TWO of those shims in place and the unit still flickers from time to time.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Another issue I have with the G19 Gen5 MOS is the rear sight dovetail being so far back.

You can see from the photos the OEM GNS are hanging off the back of the slide. Obviously it's to make room for the mounting plate but it's still undesirable (otherwise I'd own one already, simple for the FS and non-cutout frame).

Until then, Gen4 G19s and the G45 will have to do. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Factor8:
Now for the downside, and this is my fault for not inspecting the pistol better before I walked out of the store with it. But when I got home I noticed the rear sights were not pushed all of the way on. They are almost flush with the right side of the pistol. It came with glock night sights from the factory, so this is just a quality control issue with the final inspector.

I have a G23 that came from the factory that way. Glock said it was normal. Roll Eyes

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lessons learned:

Not wanting to repaste the whole quote, here's my commentary on this.
1. The difference between one milled and the MOS is essentially nil. The height difference is nominal and irrelevant (if someone wants to post pictures send me a note and I'll send them for you to post I can't do pictures of SF.) If suppressor height sights work all else is fine.
2. I'm going to drop a few of my extra plates to experiment on your past experience for fun, but a mounted MOS plate is pretty darn tough. I've used my RMR to rack the slide a zillion times. I generally avoid dropping a gun as the rules in matches I do generally frown about it, but heck I've even had the RMR hit a barricade in recoil when I got sloppy once. That's about a big of load as you could consider. Not an issue. In the actual mounting its loaded in sheer on the screws and its strength is not meaningful, its a spacer.
3. if you are having RMR flickers more plates has no impact. Mount it properly with the correct torque, use dielectric grease or send it back. I have dozens of the older ones and tens of thousands of rounds. One flickered and it went back. came back fine. Yes the Type 2's are better otherwise we wouldn't have them, but the type ones can run fine (see my earlier and agony ongoing posts as examples).

I think the MOS guns offer the best option for someone deciding if the optic situation works for them. Don't like it you are no worse off. Mill your slide and you are toast.
I've now about tens of thousands of rounds in a G5 optic gun split almost evenly between milled g19x and MOS. The differences aren't meaningful in any way.
I wouldn't discourage anyone from getting an MOS slide.

I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
Hey just curious, what red dots are you guys using or planning to get? I lean towards Trijicon but I hear Aimpoint came out with a new small red dot.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe this year at SHOT Glock will introduce a Standard Gen 5 G19 with no front fame half-moon mag cutout, no red dot sight slide plate cut out, foward cocking serrations, a tweaked barrel throat depth dimension and has the recently implemented extractor relief slide cut.

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Another issue I have with the G19 Gen5 MOS is the rear sight dovetail being so far back.

You can see from the photos the OEM GNS are hanging off the back of the slide. Obviously it's to make room for the mounting plate but it's still undesirable (otherwise I'd own one already, simple for the FS and non-cutout frame).

Until then, Gen4 G19s and the G45 will have to do. Wink

The AmeriGlo rear works pretty well

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post