SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Gun grease..... I know, another thread on lube.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun grease..... I know, another thread on lube. Login/Join 
posted
I really like tw25b as a grease, but it is much too costly. I purchased a large tube of Lucas marine grease at the reccomondation of others here and it's not too bad. It's just thick. I also have a large bottle of Lucas gun oil that I like, but doesn't stay in place the same way the grease does.

So as some of you may see where this was going, I decided to mix the Lucas Marine Grease and Lucas Gun Oil. Nothing to scientific, just my finger in a jar, mixing until I got the desired viscosity. I am very pleased with the result I got, which is the Lucas product with the texture of the TW25B.
Kind of pumped about it, as I have tried everything from RemOil to Frog Lube and never been pleased with anything (although I do love ballistol for some things.)

The question is.... is there any potential harm to mixing these specific lubes? I doubt it, but I don't have the knowledge some of the members here have.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I really don't think it's an issue, but that is just a WAG on my part.

I only use SLIP products, EWL and EWL30 weight when I want thicker stuff. Maybe also some Enos slide glide light from back in the day for my P220 when I shoot it once every couple years.

But otherwise I don't buy into the better mousetrap lube conspiracy / endorsements / dolladolla-billz routine.

Pick something, buy it, use it, forget about the lube conspiracy.

Or do the old man routine and use Mobile One on everything, since it makes life so much easier for them.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glock Stock & Barrel
Picture of gtmtnbiker98
posted Hide Post
Expensive? My last 4oz tube of TW25B lasted almost seven years. Just spent $35.00
on another 4oz tube.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4436 | Location: Southcentral Ohio | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The lube wars are over. Clean your firearm and use whatever the gun mag expert writers recommended last month. Or not. Soon my secret mix of castor oil, Acme hinge grease and organic peanut butter lube will be on TV. Along with the Oxy Clean. Roll Eyes

Posts: 167 | Location: Central Florida-Behind the orange safety cones | Registered: July 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There can be issues with mixing products.

I too have tried quite a few ‘snake oils’.

I have a couple of manufacturer-suggested combos(Super Lube® Multi-Purpose Grease with Syncolon® PTFE and Super Lube® Oil with Syncolon® PTFE, and Lubriplate SFL-0 & Lubriplate FMO-350AW), but I generally don’t actually mix grease and oil. I stick with the ‘grease on sliding surfaces, oil on rotating surfaces’ advice.

Cathy

Posts: 302 | Registered: August 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a proprietary blend. You could call it SHNOT.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Slide glide lite. I bought a very small tub and it has lasted years. I apply it with a model paint brush. A lot on Sigs, less on the Glocks. I see where the contact points are with wear and apply a very ligh coating to both sides. After a day at the range it is still there and not gunky with carbon at all.

Hoppes oil on RSAs and other spring assy.

I think it holds up better than TWB-25. It also doesn’t harden up. TWB has turned waxy and separated on me before.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
I use S.T.O.S made by Ponsess Warren. It’s thinner than most grease, almost transparent, doesn’t trap crud, and stays put.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SGT45
posted Hide Post
G96 liquid Grease and G96 spray or bottle.

SGT 45
P320 Compact 9mm w/ MS (3)
P320 Compact 9mm FDE
P320 Compact/Carry 9mm FDE
P320 Compact .45 w/MS
P938
P229
--- Lots of Glocks

Posts: 437 | Location: Gettysburg,PA USA | Registered: November 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't imagine there'd be an issue mixing them. Might just want check the jar to see if they separated after a few days. If not, probably fine.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Still using the same 1 lb tin of Mobil 1 synthetic ball bearing grease for going on 10 years. At this rate it’ll be in the casket with me.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Do a group buy, and share. Note the price for 14oz vs 4oz of "gun grease"

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...gun-grease-14-oz-can

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Maybe they'll ferment like Frog-Lube-Super-SEAL-Stuff and you can use it as an alternative food source????

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
^
Are you talking about the Lubriplate? It's food grade, not food.

Actually, it's good stuff...

http://www.grantcunningham.com.../05/lubrication-101/

Also, part of the point it that, the stuff that retailer sell to individuals in little tubes at high prices is basically the same stuff that bigger customers buy in bigger quantities at lower prices. This might be something that retail customer might want to take advantage of.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ofc.JR
posted Hide Post
After years of working on, and shooting more firearms then most people ever will, I finalized on Lubriplate's #105 Engine assembly grease for fire arms. It works very good, is similar to TW25B, and is much less expensive. Easy on, great slide rail grease, lasts a long time, and is easy to clean up.
I have had great luck with #105 and highly recommend it.
TW25B is good, but way too expensive for what it is and does. Of course, YMMV.

"Cry Havoc and let slip..."
"Sic Semper Tyrannis!!"

Posts: 46 | Location: High Plains of Texas | Registered: December 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used mobil 1 red grease for years

Ive switched to Lucas marine grease

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just go by what Gray Guns recommends.

Posts: 1247 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ofc.JR:
After years of working on, and shooting more firearms then most people ever will, I finalized on Lubriplate's #105 Engine assembly grease for fire arms. It works very good, is similar to TW25B, and is much less expensive. Easy on, great slide rail grease, lasts a long time, and is easy to clean up.
I have had great luck with #105 and highly recommend it.
TW25B is good, but way too expensive for what it is and does. Of course, YMMV.

As I was reading the first few posts in this thread I was about to ask if anyone ever used Lubriplate, we used it in my last employers machine shop and used it on the /some of the moving parts of the machines we ran. This answers it and I am going to pick up a tube next time I am at the auto supply store.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I like SLIP2000 EWG for two reasons. First, unlike tw25b, the liquid and solid components don’t separate. Second, it comes in a handy syringe applicator.

Cost is negligible. I bought three syringes of it and still have a little left in the first of them after 3+ years. Admittedly, I apply about 5% as much grease as Flork does Smile .

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...30601935/m/908103701

I even use EWG to grease the rails of my Beretta 87 Target, even though most folks use oil for .22 LR pistols.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8853 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been working on a 14oz tube of Militec grease for about 10 or 15 years now. Still over half of it left.

I use the tiny red aerosol straws to apply it to the rails. I rub it in with my fingers on barrels or bolts.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post