SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sealing wooden grips
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sealing wooden grips Login/Join 
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted
So I took the finish off my wooden N frame grips, first by getting OFF on part....who knew it would remove the finish Roll Eyes. I then sanded them down and am in the process of refinishing them with tung oil, I have rubbed in 6-8 coats and am wondering if I need to seal them and what to use?

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I never "seal" grip sets I refinish with Danish oil. The oil is in the wood and does a good job of protecting it, and it's easy to repair any scrapes or damage by just lightly sanding (if neccesary) and adding oil.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Tung oil, whether real tung oil or a polymerized version, IS a sealant. You're done. The only reason you want more, or less coats, if for level or gloss. OR, you can add more coats for more sealing, but then knock down the gloss by using pumice paste, fine steel wool, etc. With tung oil you don't put anything on top of it, because it is a sealer.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Perfect...that was exactly what I was wondering

Thank you

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Danish Oil. It produces a nice finish and repairs are simple as arfmel said.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Years ago I refinished several revolver grips for myself and others on my squad with VARATHANE. At that time it was only available in high gloss but satin might be an option now. It was very durable and chip resistant on duty pistols.

It looks like the little company got gobbled up by RUSTOLEUM...

https://www.rustoleum.com/prod...mer-brands/varathane

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always used teak oil on grips and stocks

Posts: 648 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post