SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Improving action on a j-frame
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Improving action on a j-frame Login/Join 
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I've had equal luck with the Apex Duty Carry Kit and the Wilson Combat Custom Tune Spring Kit. If I had to choose, I'd go with the Wilson Combat spring kit. It's cheaper. I don't think the Apex extended firing pin is necessary. I've never had a failure using the Wilson hammer springs (or Wolff 8# hammer springs for that matter). Before installing new springs, I'll typically dry fire the gun with snap caps about 1000 times. When I go to install the new springs, I'll lightly stone any high spots I can easily identify on the internals. With the Wilson Kit, I normally use the middle rebound spring (14#).

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I agree with the LCR comments. I've seen a ton of new J-frames come in direct from S&W and not a one of them has anything close to a decent trigger. Jerky action all through the travel, and most often heavy to boot as well. Makes a person wonder if the people at S&W who assemble these things ever actually SHOOT their own handiwork. Conversely, centerfire LCRs are typically smoother and lighter in pull weight. Several higher levels more usable and enjoyable. However their rimfire examples are another matter; Ruger has a thing about crappy rimfire revolver triggers that I just don't get.

IMHO the best revolver trigger of guns currently made in the J-frame size group belongs to the Kimber K6S, with the new production Colt Cobra's second best. Ironic that a revolver newbie and a long dormant DA revolver maker can spank the triggers of two long-time revolver makers, but that's how I see it as being.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by madmatt:
Highly recommend Sandy Garrett of North Virginia Gun Works. Work on my S&W 625-3 trigger and action were phenomenal! Couldn't put down or stop dry firing! Even better at the range!
Tried his Ruger Security Six; probably the best I've handled.

Sandy has worked on several revolvers for me over the years including a Python. All of his work is top notch . . . period!!

Posts: 1546 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I've held off on this, but today Wilson Combat's was $8.95 so I ordered one.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
I had a PD armorer simply polish the rough edges off the internals. Made a world of difference.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mr. Nice Guy
Picture of BucFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I've held off on this, but today Wilson Combat's was $8.95 so I ordered one.

Did the same along with the same kit for a Ruger SP101. Thanks for the thread. Smile

Sig P229R 9mm - Sig P365 NRA
Sig P320C 9mm - Sig P320 FS .40

Posts: 1045 | Location: FL | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I had Cylinder & Slide do a trigger job on my S&W 638 about 15 years ago. Amazing work!

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Apex j frame kit.

This, easy to do yourself and makes a big difference.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7629 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Apex spring kit and you're good to go.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My J frame had the Apex kit with once in a while light strike on primer. Put in Wilson spring and all good now.

Posts: 648 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post