SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Improving action on a j-frame
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Improving action on a j-frame Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted
I've owned a S&W 617 for years and the action is amazingly smooth. I've never even considered sending it to a smith to polish.

A few weeks back, I picked up a Smith and Wesson 642 CT Stainless .38 SPL with Crimson Trace Lasergrip. Today, was the first time shooting it and one thing that jumped out to me was how much the laser was bouncing as I pulled the trigger. The RSO even stopped by and commented on it. I have Crimson traces on two Sigs and the laser barely moves during trigger pull so I do have a baseline for this. It's accurate enough for SD at 7 yards, but I really expected the smoothness of the 617's action.

Gray Guns has done all of the actions on my P229s (1 competition and 2 CRRAP) and my P239 (perfecto). Who is the Gray Guns of the j-frame world?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Apex j frame kit.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Apex j frame kit.

This, I have one in both of my 38cal J-frames.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't used his services, but Denny Reichard generally comes highly recommended.

http://www.sandburrgunranch.com/gunsmithy.php

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I have the Wilson Combat J Frame kit in my 642 and it made it a whole different gun.
Very happy with the results.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one out of the performance center that is much nicer than a plain model. Rural king lists them for ~$400 if you have one local. Can try for yourself. Maybe switch the grips and sell the old one...

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I used the Wilson kit which improved my J frames

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I found the Apex Spring Kit on their site.

I checked Wilson Combat's site and didn't find anything for the j-frame. Anybody have a link?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
It’s item #321 on the Wilson combat site
Custom-Tune Spring, Kit, S&W, J 8# Reduced Power Hammer Spring and 13#, 14#, 15# Reduced Power Rebound Trigger Spring "CUSTOM-TUNE" Spring Kits are designed to easily and inexpensively improve your revolvers' action and functionability. These quality spring kits feature the finest gun springs available, made from high-tensile spring wire, for the finest possible action tuning jobs. Kits include the various springs necessary to assure reliable function, smooth operation, consistency, and long life. when only the best will do, WILSON COMBAT¨ "CUSTOM-TUNE" Spring Kits are the only choice. "CUSTOM-TUNE" are available for most popular Revolvers. Revolver "Custom-Tune" Spring Kits lighten the trigger pull on single action revolvers and improve the single and double action trigger pull on double action revolvers. Double action kits contain assorted trigger rebound springs, allowing the selection of the lightest spring that will provide proper trigger return with your particular pistol.
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

I checked Wilson Combat's site and didn't find anything for the j-frame. Anybody have a link?

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
quote:

Gray Guns has done all of the actions on my P229s (1 competition and 2 CRRAP) and my P239 (perfecto). Who is the Gray Guns of the j-frame world?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Grant Cunningham was the Bruce Gray in the S/W revolver world, but sadly has retired. Grant still has a blog and his website is still up. On his website Grant recommends Frank Glenn at glenncustom.com

Posts: 1540 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:
I haven't used his services, but Denny Reichard generally comes highly recommended.

http://www.sandburrgunranch.com/gunsmithy.php

I have used their services and I would do it again. Besides the trigger job, also had my hammer bobbed. Took a little, I think between 2+ months, it now I can at least hit something with it.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/m...ame/productinfo/321/

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always found stock S&W revolver triggers to be very good in double, and single action.

Rugers tend to be gritty somewhat in double action pull, but S&W are quite clean.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Highly recommend Sandy Garrett of North Virginia Gun Works. Work on my S&W 625-3 trigger and action were phenomenal! Couldn't put down or stop dry firing! Even better at the range!
Tried his Ruger Security Six; probably the best I've handled.

Semper Fi
Madmatt

SIGs, BHPs, CZ PCRs, HKs, 1911s, S&W 625-3 45 ACP, HK/Benelli M1S90, Colts 6721/LE6920, Steyr SBSs, Emerson and ZT Knives, Rubicons, Harleys & APBTs

Posts: 416 | Location: USA | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Understand a j frame trigger will never be comparable to a k frame trigger.
My opinion accept it for what it is and practice to get used to it. Reliability is far more important in these small carry guns, and heavy and reliable is MUCH better than light smooth and unteliable

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll 2nd the Captain's remarks. By all means, try the spring it. However, make sure your choice is going to WORK FOR YOU in both: reset on the trigger, and detonating your favorite load/s.
That said, you do have the CTC grips. A huge benefit of those in dry-fire is trying to reduce the bouncing area of the dot to a minimum as you get proficient.

Posts: 379 | Location: Phoenix Aridzona | Registered: March 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
One of the quickest ways to improve a J-frame’s action is to sell or trade it for a Ruger LCR Cool

Seriously I think the stock trigger on an LCR is 100x better than the S&W, it’s like DAO butter!

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Apex j frame kit.

Agreed. The kit is good, and not hard to install.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
One of the quickest ways to improve a J-frame’s action is to sell or trade it for a Ruger LCR Cool

Seriously I think the stock trigger on an LCR is 100x better than the S&W, it’s like DAO butter!

Methinks thou dost EXAGGERATE somewhat...While SOME LCR Triggers are better than SOME J-Frame Triggers, it's not all the time or even most of the time in my experience...The Apex Kit is probably the most sure-fire way of improving a J-Frame Trigger without having to take out a Second Mortgage or being without your Snubby for months on end...

Posts: 641 | Location: Griffin, GA, USA | Registered: November 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Grant Cunningham was the Bruce Gray in the S/W revolver world, but sadly has retired. Grant still has a blog and his website is still up. On his

website Grant recommends Frank Glenn at glenncustom.com

Grant Cunningham might have been the Bruce Gray of Colt or Ruger Roundguns, but Randy Lee is generally acknowledged to be the "Picasso" of Smith & Wesson Action Work--Unfortunately for us all, I don't believe he's accepting any new Revolver work presently... Frown

Posts: 641 | Location: Griffin, GA, USA | Registered: November 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post