SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Non Glock 5 inch "duty" pistol?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non Glock 5 inch "duty" pistol? Login/Join 
posted
So, if I wanted to try something other than a 34/35 for a "long barreled" duty style pistol, where do I go first?

I keep hearing "Walther PPQ M2 5"... looking for a good (or better yet Great) trigger and better than average accuracy without moving straight to "target pistol".

Thanks for any input!

Bill R

Posts: 1117 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Smith and Wesson makes an M&P with 5" slide. I'm putting up links as examples, not associated with these dealers.

First is the PRO Version that doesn't have a manual safety.

M&P Pro

Next is the 2.0 that is in FDE finish and has a manual safety.

M&P 2.0 Longslide FDE

FN has the FNS with a 5" slide. You would probably have a hard time finding a duty holster for it though. Here's one for $399 and they are a great dealer (I've bought several firearms from them)

FNS 9mm Longslide

I would give the Walther a serious look as they are a great pistol. Another option could be a fullsize 1911 or an old school S&W 4506

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stylophiles:
I keep hearing "Walther PPQ M2 5"... looking for a good (or better yet Great) trigger and better than average accuracy without moving straight to "target pistol".
Your ears are working just fine. In the two decades since the Walther P99 was introduced, the pistol has evolved from a DA/SA design with a decocker, into, well, a really nice Glock.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The HK USP Expert is worth a look. Stupid accurate and a much better trigger then the standard USP.

Posts: 2183 | Registered: July 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark71:
...a much better trigger then the standard USP.
That wouldn't be hard to do.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
My brother had an Xd tactical that was stunningly accurate at 25 yards.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It may be old school, but my choice would be the P220. Not quite 5 inch, but close.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dusted off my Wilson Master Grade .45 and, am carrying it again. It’s...glorious.

Posts: 881 | Location: High desert. Nevada | Registered: April 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Since I'm a striker guy, M&P 9Pro or a 2.0 5" would be on my shortlist to consider; I'd shoot either better than my G34, sad to say (only because I'm supposedly a Glock guy). I do want the 5" slide assembly for the PPQ for my M1; would be a sweetheart setup. I'd also be sorely tempted by the TP9SFx, though that would probably depend upon how prompt and good of a job Century does with my TP9SF 'upgrade' when that finally is shipped off. But my ideal would be the long slide VP9 aka SFP 9L; shame it's currently not available for civilian sales since the VP9 has become my favorite striker. Yeah I know it sucks monkey balls when it comes to contamination and detail strip work, but its smaller VP9 is such a great and enjoyable not-so-little shooter.

Honorable mention for a hammer: M9A3. Great DA/SA trigger and the ideal grip to me for a 92 (Vertec).

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
Beretta 92FS

"Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose."

Posts: 3088 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Old school S&W 4506!

Posts: 480 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
I like my 5" 2.0 a lot...

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
320 VTAC or full size..4.7...close enough. Carried the 2nd and 3rd gen S&W for many years. A boat anchor.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Lots of good options here, but in this popularity contest, I would recommend the 5 inch 2.0 for duty use. The failings of some of the other guns are apparent when you start looking at support equipment available. If you want a particular holster for the 2.0 with or without just about any light imaginable, with or without a RDS, you can get it because everyone makes everything for it. Some of the other choices don't fare as well.

Aside from that aspect, pick what you like. Really hard to find a bad choice.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many good choices. I own and carry a G34. Have carried full size GM 1911's. I have no experience with the other pistols mentioned above.

However, I also have a P320 FullSize .40 and a P320C 9mm. The FS is deadly accurate and very forgiving of technique in fast draw/fire defensive shooting. So is the Compact. At the range, the full length grip tends to give me slightly better consistency than the Compact.

The P320 and 1911's are what I call "natural shooters", for me anyway. Very forgiving of occasional bad inputs. If I do my part, all I see is bullet holes appearing over the top of the front sight.

You might want to consider the P320 FS in 9mm or .40. Good trigger, grip and is an easy shooter.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
How about a HK P30L? Now that HK has brought the prices on the P30 down to earth, it warrants a look.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
HK P30L or M&P 2.0 5"er

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Might look for one of the old Performance Center 5" S&W 5906s, like the PPC-9 or Super 9.

Posts: 32432 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Might look for one of the old Performance Center 5" S&W 5906s, like the PPC-9 or Super 9.

I'd grab one in a half second.... but for the price tag! Guess I should have mentioned the budget, I'd like to stay around or under 600...

Bill R

Posts: 1117 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post