SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Shield .45 folks - What's your carry load?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shield .45 folks - What's your carry load? Login/Join 
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted
And.. what else have your tried in it?

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I had the pistol, I loaded up Gold Dot short barrel rounds. They are specifically made for short barreled pistols and are a little hard to find.
I didn't really shoot the pistol all that much so that's the load I had.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Yes, I haven't seen any GD-SBs around here, so I figured I'd try HSTs and Winchester PDXs initially.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ARMT - I have shot 50 rds of 230gr HST thru mine with no cycle or function issues. Here is a lnk for a great review of over 150 different SD rounds in various calibers...The 45ACP test data is shown at the bottom of this link....Mark

https://www.luckygunner.com/la...mmo-ballistic-tests/

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Currently I'm using 200gr +p gold dots. I need to order some more. Some of the 230gr stuff doesn't appear to perform that great in short barrels from all the videos I've watched and I had these on hand already as a bonus.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Writer by profession,
smartass by the
grace of God.

posted Hide Post
Standard pressure HST.

Insanely accurate and controllable.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posts: 618 | Location: Beaverton, OR | Registered: April 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m using 230 grain HST standard pressure. I only have 50-75 of the HSTs through the gun, but the combination has been accurate and reliable with manageable recoil.

Posts: 212 | Registered: April 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gruntjim:
Standard pressure HST.

+1

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
Short barrel Gold Dots and a small amount of Gold Dot 200 gr +P.

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
Federal 185gr. JHP

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
I'm going to try these rounds and see how they work. Since I travel through NJ often I can't use hollow points since they are verboten for RPO's. Won't get to the range to test them out till next week.

Underwood Xtreme Defender Ammunition 45 ACP 120 Grain

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
230gr Golden Sabers here.

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GroundedCLK
posted Hide Post
220gr. Critical Duty Flex Lock

Posts: 1843 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gunguru123
posted Hide Post
I like 230gr rounds, generally HST or Ranger. Also like Speer Gold Dot 200+p and Hornady Critical Duty 220+p. I have plenty of TAC-XPD and Black Hills 185+p but worry about its ability to penetrate and/or expand out of such a short barrel. So soft shooting though, very easy to shoot.

Sig P220 Elite Dark, W. German 220/226 Navy/226 Tac Ops/226R Stainless/228/229 Legion/229R/M11-A1D

Glocks, HK, Walther, XDs, etc, etc...

Posts: 1043 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
In a short barrel, I'd want the +P, to get back some of the velocity lost to the short barrel.

And the barrel on the Shield is REALLY short for a .45.

quote:
Originally posted by gruntjim:
Standard pressure HST.

Insanely accurate and controllable.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
In a short barrel, I'd want the +P, to get back some of the velocity lost to the short barrel.

Back a couple years ago when I was packin' .45s, I often went with +P loading, but some advised against it and generally recommended standard velocity loads instead.

Now, it always gave me a warm fuzzy to use +P .45 loads, especially for the commander and officer model size .45s I typically carried. I just can't readily get a hold of +P HSTs or Speer Gold Dots-SBs, so standard velocity HSTs will be what I load my PC .45 Shield once I get her home.

I will be keeping my eyes peeled for +Ps/SBs though.

Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The ammo choice for a 5" 1911 would be different than a 3.3" subcompact. The problem with .45 ACP out of small guns is that most loads are designed for 5" barrels, and even at that .45 is a lower velocity cartridge to begin with. So when using it out of a 3-ish inch barrel, the just don't have the velocity to perform correctly. So picking up some velocity from a +P round may be called for.

quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:

Back a couple years ago when I was packin' .45s, I often went with +P loading, but some advised against it and generally recommended standard velocity loads instead.

Now, it always gave me a warm fuzzy to use +P .45 loads, especially for the commander and officer model size .45s I typically carried. I just can't readily get a hold of +P HSTs or Speer Gold Dots-SBs, so standard velocity HSTs will be what I load my PC .45 Shield once I get her home.

I will be keeping my eyes peeled for +Ps/SBs though.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Golden Sabre 185 grain vs 200 grain 'social work' round due to abbreviated barrel length

Posts: 102 | Location: Mentor, OH | Registered: March 10, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
I had a few boxes of +P HST rounds and tried them in my Shield 45. Not fun. Not fun at all.

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tgrshrk99:
I had a few boxes of +P HST rounds and tried them in my Shield 45. Not fun. Not fun at all.

I can say the same about the +p 200gr gold dots. Thankfully that rough grip texture really helps hold onto it. Worth it for the velocity gain. I can't rapid fire anything this small it's only good for point blank range so I don't worry about it.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post