SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Build your own.... Glock clone?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Build your own.... Glock clone? Login/Join 
posted
So I bought some stuff for my G17-G4 from this dude and he sent a little catalog with the parts.
In the catalog: 80% Glock style polymer frames that you can build into a complete gun once you get (or use your own) a slide. The dude claims this is fully legal. I would guess this is akin to building your own AR, so you can get the features you want on the gun. Cost to assemble looks like it will be about 100 bucks more than an actual, real live Glock. And he mentions nothing about if the frame is serialized or not.
So.... Anyone out there who have built your own Glock clone?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
It's on my list somewhere of projects to start up.

These guys have some nice looking glock lowers.
http://www.polymer80.com/

They are on sell @ Brownells for $69 buck right now.

I think before I do that I want to do a 1911. I love tinkering projects. Hand fitting a 1911 seems like it would be a ton of fun.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
80% frames following the Glock G17 (Gen3) pattern have been around for a while. G19 pattern frames started showing up this year. There are at least a couple of internet sellers that have recently been heavily discounting the raw frame kits so if you're handy with power tools, yes you can make yourself a Glock pattern pistol just like you could an AR-15 out of an 80% lower.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
80% would mean no serial number, unless you add one,

there was a local company making Metal (alloy, IIRC) frames for Glocks, but they have ceased operations,

http://www.ccfraceframes.com/home.php

not 80% tho,, they were ready to go

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine just put together a Glock 19 frame one from Brownells.

Pretty neat.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1897 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The frame rails are not molded into the frame like on OEM Glocks. They are held in by pins. No Bueno in my opinion.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably fun as a project, but when you can score a new Glock for $500 give or take or even dig up a gently used one on a forum for $400-$450 with relative ease, it makes me wonder why I would want to spend more money to make something, except for being able to say that I made it. I don't think I would be interested in ever carrying for self defense something that I cobbled together out of an 80% lower and a box of parts. I also don't want to have to mess with explaining to anybody why my carry gun does not have a serial number in the event that it comes up.

Posts: 5159 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
Probably fun as a project, but when you can score a new Glock for $500 give or take or even dig up a gently used one on a forum for $400-$450 with relative ease, it makes me wonder why I would want to spend more money to make something

Yep.

Heck, you can often find LE trade-in G22s for just over $300.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
Cause it's a ghost glock dude.

Never mind that the man knows you bought all the parts already.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Here's a SIG one. Cost more than just buying a used one though, and it still needs Ceracoat.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just for fun I've done a glock and a few AR's. The AR's were a bit interesting because at the time I did them you couldn't get an anodized 80% (which you now can) so I eventually learned a lot about home anodizing (no commercial vendor i contacted would touch an unserialized firearm frame) and various coatings. The AR lower I did is just like a commercial product. The glock on the other hand I think has a way inferior polymer to the real article. This may vary by brand and I haven't tried more than one.
I had no mechanical issues doing them but I do own a small mill with a x/y/z system.
I'd rather not do it with just hand tools.
I don't really see the point other than fun.
There isn't any cost savings.
FWIW>

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did notice the frames did not have integral rails. It might be fun to build one, but to me its does not make sense, $$$ wise.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's enough aftermarket parts out there you can build your Glock clone with zero Glock parts.

Never was interested in the 80% Glock or 80% AR. As cheap as stuff is, I'm not sure what the allure is, unless it's no serial number. I know people like the different grips but you get used to the Glock grip or you don't.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post