SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Recent Gunshow Experiences
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recent Gunshow Experiences Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
wow seems like guns getting more plentiful but ammo almost nonexistent around here There seems to be a whole bunch of nothing for ammo online
also

Posts: 52 | Location: pennsylvainia | Registered: July 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Gunshows are predictable. Been that way since the 1960s. Maybe even longer, but I can only speak to my own experiences. We've had runs on ammo all along. While this forum isn't registered as a church, we preach often to the subject. Buy while prices are good and ammo available. If you've got too much, sell into an overpriced market. If you're lucky, you'll break even. Big Grin

I remember back when ammo was relatively cheap. Its not these days, to say the least. I need to make a foray into my ammo magazine. Just to see what I could sell if I were so inclined. I haven't been to a show since the Wuhan stuff stared. Didn't go this weekend, but we have the same posters who say they know but also haven't been in ages. If you haven't been in 5 or more years, you'll find a different animal.

Its good to ask about shows, because they evolve and change all the time. So hint to all those folks who enjoy dissing gun shows: Stop telling us how you used to go years ago. You just don't know these days. If something turned you off about them years ago, too bad. No one with any sense at all believes things you say these days.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I’m on a Kel-Tec FB group and this discussion came up. One poster said he went to one this weekend and watched in amazement as a man paid ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS for a 1,000 round case of nothing-special 9mm FMJ. I think he said it was PMC or Blazer.

$1,000.00!!! Eek

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I volunteered for the VCDL at the Chantilly gun show last weekend. Popular guns were in short supply, even the high-end stuff was pretty much sold out. Plenty of mil-surp rifles at high prices. I saw little ammo on display, one vendor was advertising 9mm 124 grain FMJ @ 1000 rounds for $600, and .223 @ 1200 rounds for $1,000, and was doing a land office business. We had a table set up outside due to the restricted # of attendees, about a 2 hour wait to buy a ticket, then another couple of hours in a different line to get in the show. This was Sat. morning, I was told Friday was even busier by the VCDL volunteer coordinator. I doubt there was much left to buy by Sunday.

Posts: 6455 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
I volunteered for the VCDL at the Chantilly gun show last weekend. Popular guns were in short supply, even the high-end stuff was pretty much sold out. Plenty of mil-surp rifles at high prices. I saw little ammo on display, one vendor was advertising 9mm 124 grain FMJ @ 1000 rounds for $600, and .223 @ 1200 rounds for $1,000, and was doing a land office business. We had a table set up outside due to the restricted # of attendees, about a 2 hour wait to buy a ticket, then another couple of hours in a different line to get in the show. This was Sat. morning, I was told Friday was even busier by the VCDL volunteer coordinator. I doubt there was much left to buy by Sunday.

friday was crazy till about 7, then it died off,

Sat and Sun were busy, but the promotor was a bit more tight on the number of folks in ,

lots of ammo , and lots selling,

the 5.56 I saw (M193) was 75 cents a round,
lots of 9mm at various vendors and all over $1 a round, just for ball,

black guns selling fast,

guy next to my tables had maybe 10 tables of modern stuff, (black tacticool stuff) and he was sold down to maybe 4 tables full Sun afternoon,

several other vendors were the same,

the big guy at the show, usually, is Trader Jerry,
he had maybe 1/3 his normal space (availability hindering his space, as in he could not buy enough to sell)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
I went on Sunday; some defensive handguns, cheepo AR’s and overpriced ammo. 9mm was going for $680 -$750 for a case. No thanks.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2225 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just purchased a complete lower from PSA because I didn't know about the quality of the stuff I saw at the gunshow, though there was plenty "homemade" AR stuff. This will be my first one. Now to decide on 556 or 300 blackout.

Love my Sigs but carry my Glocks

Posts: 374 | Registered: February 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Was up in NoVa last weekend and on Saturday a buddy and I went to the Nations gun show in Chantilly. We were early before they opened but so was a hundred or more folks ahead of us. Line moved quickly and soon we were in. First I will say the abundancy of ammo was a surprise but the prices were outrageous ex: 9mm 50 round box 115 gr FMJ was $ 49.00 and up. Gun prices were also on the high side and my buddy was on the search for a Glock 43X and was none to be found, one dealer said he had one but it was sold on Friday.

Masks were required and for the most part everyone was in compliance. Show was sectioned off by the building partition's and to get to the other side you had to exit to enter the other in stead of just walking thru as in past.

Posts: 1953 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I haven't been to one all year, probably since last fall. I'm planning on hitting the next couple just because there are a pair of rifles I've been wanting for years and now have the wherewithall to pay for. Both are lever guns, so hopefully they won't suffer from the same shortage as evil black guns. There's one LGS who has a warehouse where he keeps all his gun-show stock, separate from what he has in the store. It's a lot more than what's in the store. I'm hoping that that stock will include what I'm looking for. If I find an ammo bargain I might go for that too, but I'm not expecting any. I'm in good shape already on the ammo and magazine front.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Sadly, I think gun shows are verboten here in the state of Michigan. At least I haven't heard of one.

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
Sadly, I think gun shows are verboten here in the state of Michigan. At least I haven't heard of one.

Looks like the Novi show is still on the calendar for December.

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I’m on a Kel-Tec FB group and this discussion came up. One poster said he went to one this weekend and watched in amazement as a man paid ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS for a 1,000 round case of nothing-special 9mm FMJ. I think he said it was PMC or Blazer.

$1,000.00!!! Eek
It's nuts. I finally caved and figured I would put some on GB to see what it goes for. I've been making about .75 a round (3x what I paid) and I still have a ton of it. How much would you leave yourself for a personal stash.

Posts: 3909 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
How much did you charge to ship 1K rounds?

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
How much did you charge to ship 1K rounds?
I’m not sure who you’re talking to but I have been selling them in 500 round bundles. I charged $20 to ship those.

Posts: 3909 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Turns out all the Portland area shows have been cancelled since about April on account of our beloved Governor refusing to allow the tri-county area to move beyond phase 1 of the grand reopening.Roll Eyes So I drove out to Seaside on Saturday to a show there. Nice little show, the operative word being "little". Picked up a couple of MAGA hats and another Ka-Bar (I think I have three now, or maybe four). The big LGS I was hoping to see didn't make the trip so it was pretty much a wasted drive except for the swag. It was very refreshing though, talking to a couple of the vendors, to be around people who are of a like mind (I'm surrounded by liberals around here).

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PPS1980
posted Hide Post
I'm in the camp of "I used to go to gun shows" but do go if I need to handle a weapon prior to purchase that my LGS doesn't have in stock. If the folks at the gun show are cheaper (or very close) I'll buy from them but the last time that happened Reagan was in office.......

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
- Thomas Jefferson 1787

Posts: 4 | Registered: October 23, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
on account of our beloved Governor

Yeah, well, we have one of those bastards too. I wish he was running this year just to vote against him, again.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
It's nuts. I finally caved and figured I would put some on GB to see what it goes for. I've been making about .75 a round (3x what I paid) and I still have a ton of it. How much would you leave yourself for a personal stash.

I would NOT sell 1 round of any of that ammo..

Posts: 4359 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
if you're looking for parts and pieces, you'll be ok. if you're looking for a gun, be prepared to pay well over its worth

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's really shocking, is the price of Enfields, and other military surplus rifles. Beat up Enfields and Mausers(non-German) are $600 and up. A nice rebuilt French 49/56 in 7.5 was $1100. A rebuilt MAS 36 was $600. Rebuilt run-of-the-mill M-1 Garands were $1100 and up.
These were prices at this weekends' Des Moines gun show.

Posts: 270 | Location: Iowa | Registered: April 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post