Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bug Poll Login/Join 
Picture of Cobra21
posted
OK, for those of us who carry a backup sub-compact/micro in pocket or ankle or waistband or even as an occassional primary.

Question:
What caliber are you primarily carrying for your backup, BUG, pocket gun, etc.?

Choices:
.22 variant
.25 or .32
.38 or .357
.9 or .357 SIG or .40 or .45

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have rarely carried a BUG, but when I have it was a 642-1 in a pocket holster.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Voted .380 because I'm more apt to grab the G42 as a backup piece in a coat pocket. But for summer carry when the G42 becomes the primary, the Baby Browning goes in the front shorts pocket. So .25 ACP is represented here as well, but not reflected in the poll numbers.

Posts: 17110 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beretta Tomcat in .32 ACP, loaded with 60 gr. Winchester Silvertip HP's.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I carry my 33 as my bug on duty and off duty. On duty it can share mags with my 31. Off duty it can share mags with my 32, which I carry 31 mags as spares.

In the event of something bad, I can toss the 33 to whoever I am with.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8011 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
I used to pack either a .380 or sometimes a .38 as a BUG, but have gone entirely to 9mm, ( either a 938 or G43. )

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Brass Pounder
Picture of roustabout
posted Hide Post
i'll reach for the Glock 42 most of the time or the Ruger LCP for deep concealment.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 1017 | Registered: August 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I carry a G26 99% of the time IWB.
The couple rare times a year where I cannot carry IWB, I have an LCP for front pocket carry.

Posts: 7421 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
legendary_lawman
Picture of prairieviper
posted Hide Post
In my retired life, no, I don't carry a BUG. When I was still on the job, I carried a Beretta Tomcat, .32 ACP for years before finally going to an S&W 637 Airweight, .38 Special.

"In God We Trust"

Posts: 1992 | Location: Central USA - Cornfields & Cows | Registered: May 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't vote because I'm split about 50/50 between a P3AT in a pocket holster and a scandium J frame in 357 weak side on my belt.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P938

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
Only time I carried a BUG was on duty. It was always a S&W .38 snubby - different models, but a S&W.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1897 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
I don't often carry a BUG, but when I do it's either my P232/.380 or my Taurus 85/.38, both in an ankle holster.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1680 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
Currently my LCP2

Posts: 1963 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
If on my ankle, then it is a Smith and Wesson Model 60 in 357 Magnum.

If it is in a pocket it is a Smith and Wesson Centennial. I have several in different metals for different clothing requirements. However it is almost alwasy a stainless 357 Magnum as well, though I have been fond of the 356TSW cartridge recently.

When I have the need to carry 9MM Parrabellum in the pocket, it is a SIG P290

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kahr cw380 in a desantis pocket holster

Posts: 2753 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Mine's a 9mm Kahr CM9.

But I don't think the ".9 caliber" listed in your poll would fit in a subcompact backup gun... That's like 23mm. I don't see you being able to carry even a .9 caliber single-shot Derringer on your ankle or in a pocket. Big Grin

For comparison, here's a .78 caliber round next to a .50 caliber... .9 caliber would be even bigger. Wink

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
These days I rarely carry a BUG around, but I've used my 238 the role, primarily because there were occasions where carrying my usual EDC was impossible and the 238 was my alternative. I figured that having the 238 along even as backup was good for acclimating myself for how it would be if my primary had to stay home.

I've also used my G43 at times, and my LCR once or twice before giving up on that relatively blob shaped revolver. The Glock is functionally more complimentary to my EDC G23 but the 238 is more versatile in that I can more easily pocket carry the SIG. For me the G43 is too large for that kind of carry. The SIG also works better with ankle carry; my skinny shins aren't conducive for strapping too large of a gun to and the G43 pushes the limits. Now if bell bottoms ever came back in style... Eek

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JMB239
posted Hide Post
My EDC BUG is a Seecamp 380 in a front pocket holster.

Posts: 783 | Location: PA | Registered: October 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
G42 strapped to the front of my vest. Every shift.

Posts: 4043 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post