SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Help identifying S&W revolver
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help identifying S&W revolver Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
Take a look at the 6:30 mark in the video.

I'm pretty sure this is a S&W 686+, but does it look like a 2.5" barrel? And what about the grips? Does anybody know what grips those are?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
Looks like it has a 3" barrel. I had one like it but sold it. Grips? No idea.

Posts: 6616 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like a Model 66 to me - wearing round-butt combat grips. The 686+ would indicate 7 rounds and the gun pictured doesn't look like it has a 7 round cylinder. The gun pictured is also absent a full barrel lug. The only 686 that doesn't have a full lug would be the Mountain Gun and the gun pictured has neither the black front sight standard on the model nor the 7 round cylinder.

Jerry

Posts: 158 | Location: Oregon | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
Looks to me like a 3" 629 N frame with round butt combats on it. All new Smiths are round butt now.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
It a S&W Talo distributors 686 plus 3". At about 8:32 in the youtube he states what it is.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
66 is a K frame.

It's a 3" 686? What's the question? Big Grin

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
N frame and a couple quick give a ways are, its very wide hammer spur and, look just forward of its cylinder face. That big flat surface on its crane is on the 29/629 revolvers only. And of corse the 45 Colt and ACP models. I love his mention of the i frame guns. The old .32 hand ejector and Beakeart .22 were those tiny frame models. Member blindref has a sweet heart of a Beakeart .22. One elegant little S&W.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
It a S&W Talo distributors 686 plus 3". At about 8:32 in the youtube he states what it is.
yep

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3204 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
yep
Yes, I didn't catch that 6:30 mark. Its a 686.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been watching Hickok for years. If your are referring to the gun at 6:30 min. into the video. Yes it’s a 686. He has about 3 videos on that same specific gun; 686 S&W (L frame). That one is the 7 shot. The grips were from an old N frame gun. He said he sanded them down to fit the L frame 686 on a prior video. You can get comparable nice wood boot grips from many places, Hogue, Altamont, Badger, Gun is the 3 inch full underlug 686 plus;7 shot. Get one on GB. Polish it with Mag polish. Nice grips. And you’re set. Can also get it with non fluted cylinder. The fourth gun he picks up is a 629 N frame 44 Mag, with half underlug.

Posts: 31 | Location: Vidalia and Savannah Georgia | Registered: September 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post