SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Surprising difference between 42 and 43
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Surprising difference between 42 and 43 Login/Join 
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted
I just picked up a 42 a couple of days ago and took it to the range with my 43. the first 2 mags out of the 42 were not good, as I had some stove pipe, failure to eject e.t.c with federal practice ammo.

The next couple of mags were buffalo bore that I had laying around that seemed to do the trick to loosen it up a bit Big Grin After that everything worked great. I shot a 150 rds thru it then switched over to my 43, I was really surprised at what a huge difference the 42 was nice soft shooter really fun to shoot compared to the 43, not that the 43 is bad I still like it but the 42 really handles the .380 nice. My SIG 230 that I sold was quite a bit more snappy compared to the 42 as well.

I expected the 43 to be a little different being a 9mm but not that much. The wife who rarely goes shooting with me is really going to like this one.

The 42 did seam to shoot a little to the left I did read on here that others have had that same issue, I think I just need a few more days on this one with some better sights and I should have it dialed in like my 19.

I'm now considering reloading for it to get the ammo price down like the 9 mm.

Posts: 5587 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I don't have a 43 but acquired a 42 a couple of weeks ago. It is definitely an easy shooting 380, larger than the LCP type micro 380s but that lends itself to comfort and accuracy. I pocket carry mine 42 easily - the only ammo I had issues with was some leftover HST that came with the gun, but honestly I think I was riding the slide stop up on recoil, because when I kept my thumb far away it didn't happpen again.

I put Ameriglo Pro IDot sights on it and they are great. I can shoot it much further with confidence than with an LCP or Jframe.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
I think the G42 is amazingly easy to shoot and very accurate for such a small gun. I plan on using it as one of my training guns with newbies. I usually use a heavy SAO 9mm to start them on semi autos, but I think I'll try the G42 next time. I pocket carry it most of the summer. I got away from my G43 and prefer my Walther PPS M2 if I move up in size and stick to single stack.

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
These guns aren't meant to be range toys. They're subcompact carry guns. 9mm in a single stack subcompact will kick. The point being, if you need your carry gun to defend yourself, the 9mm is going to be significantly more effective than .380.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sixgunner455
posted Hide Post
What you talking about?

All guns are range toys. If a person enjoys shooting their defensive firearm, they are much more likely to practice and gain proficiency and skill with it. If that means that they choose a G42 .380 instead of a G43 9mm, so what? They'll be more effective with a gun they are confident and competent with than one that they find uncomfortable so they won't practice.

My wife has a G42. She shoots that model better than any centerfire she's ever tried, and it's small enough she can run the controls confidently. She's never enjoyed shooting any full power 9mm - they're either small and therefore punishing to shoot, or too big for her to run.

I'd rather shoot that 42 than my Jframe with +P anything in it. I may well get another 42 just for that reason alone.

Rounds on target are way more effective than misses. Even if it's only a .22.

Posts: 1685 | Location: Here be Dragons! | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
380s have come a long way since the ppk!

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My G42 did not like light loads or my reloads when it was new. My reloads were for blow back 380s. After a few hundred rounds it would shoot everything. It is a nice shooter 380. I also have a G43 which replaced the G42 as a carry gun.

Posts: 55 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
Took my daughter to the LGS range with my 43 and a rented 42. She ran 50 rounds through each of them and pointed to the 42 with a big grin. It is now her EDC.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1324 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
Bullet for bullet the 9/G43 will be more effective, given the same shot placement.

But if you've shot the G42 in a direct comparison with the G43, I can dump 5-6 rounds on target in a small space, in the same time for 2-3 rounds with the G43. More accurately with quicker follow-up shots.

If I'm carrying 9mm, I carry my G26 which is way more effective for me at speed and not any harder to conceal.

My G42 gets carried when I need something really light (like running) or deep concealment

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
Forgot to add I put some Taren Tactical +2 extensions with their supplied springs, and have to say those are he nicest base plates/ extensions I have ever found. I'm going to get some for my 43 as well.

Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I love my 42's as well and carry one often. I love it when someone gets one in hand next to the 43 and notices that there is actually quite a difference in feel. On paper they are not that far off in terms of dimensions though they feel way different to me, with the 42 being pocketable and the 43 not so much. Recoil is mild, prolly the best I've felt from a 380. Those complaining that it's not small enough like the LCP and that it's too large for a 380 usually eat their words when they shoot it. It's physics, the smaller a gun is for the cartridge it shoots the more you will feel in terms of recoil. I think the 42 is absolutely perfect in its size in terms of balance between carry and shootabllity. It's easy to put several hundred rounds through it in a session with no fatigue or pain like some other mouse guns.

Posts: 4609 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm going to try a G43 as well but have no illusions about it being as pocketable as the 42. Just the 5 oz difference in weight loaded (per the Glock website) will mean it has more heft in the pocket. I'm going to see how it fits into the mix since I haven't bought a firearm in 6+ month and for $450 delivered for the Talo version with nights sights, why not.

Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
I agree that the 42 is a very pleasant little pistol to fire.

However, I get a much more comforting feeling with the power of 9mm from a 43.

It's not an ideal pocket pistol, ( I mostly use my 938 for that role, ) but otherwise the G43 is my choice for a sub-compact size backup/alternate carry piece.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I finally shot a G42 for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Indeed it's a soft shooter, but I wasn't surprised because I'd heard it from everyone and anyone over the past several years. Locked breech 380s are supposed to be soft recoiling as my SIG 238 attests. I can see how it's so likable, but honestly all it did was make me appreciate the stopping power behind my G43 even more.

The G42 was like the proverbial 22LR when shot back-to-back-to-back-to-back with my EDC G23, G43, G19 and G42. Since I'm very used to 40S&W the 380 just came off as wimpy. I typically don't feel particularly 'protected' with 380 even when I was occasionally using my 238 as a carry gun, and all this comparison exercise did was reinforce that sensation.

LWD just got another batch of 9x18 Mak Alphawolf conversion barrels in...maybe soon I'll have a REAL reason to pick up a G42. Big Grin

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
One thing you may want to consider is that the type of .380 ammo you probably carry is not going to provide sufficient penetration or wounding characteristics for defensive purposes if it utilizes JHP or conventional FMJ bullets. This seems to be the most significant shortfall of .380s in general and I've addressed it by using Lehigh "Xtreme Penetrator" 90 grain solid copper bullets. They penetrate about what the same as you'd expect from a good 9mm JHP, the unique design provides similar wound cavity dynamics as comparable controlled expansion (hollowpoint) ammunition, and are demonstrably better than FMJ bullets using a roundnose design. https://www.lehighdefense.com/...n?variant=1066236304

The lighter 65 grain offering by Lehigh Defense (at a greater velocity) is another option to consider.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes ammo choice in 380 is critical for sure.

I'll see how the 43 shakes out for me in the hot weather, when it cools off I should be ready to go back to the G19.

Yes, it's a mediocre round but it's better than no gun at all.

And a gun on you all the time you aren't asleep is far superior to the gun you don't have on you. Wink

Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I went back out today to see where it shot on paper, this is ten yards (ya a couple of them got a little wild) Wink but it shoots to the left about 3 inches Eek I was aiming at the number 8 to the Right. I have to get this figured out, none of my other Glocks do this ???

Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
G42 is a soft shooter

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
I went back out today to see where it shot on paper, this is ten yards (ya a couple of them got a little wild) Wink but it shoots to the left about 3 inches Eek I was aiming at the number 8 to the Right. I have to get this figured out, none of my other Glocks do this ???

I've seen this with the 42 as many shoot left with it. I think it has to do with the way your finger may rest on the trigger as the length of pull is so short on this gun. If you have a good idea already that your trigger control is good then I'm not sure. Perhaps move the Target in to 5 or 7 yards and assess your groups.

Posts: 4609 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
I finally shot a G42 for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Indeed it's a soft shooter, but I wasn't surprised because I'd heard it from everyone and anyone over the past several years. Locked breech 380s are supposed to be soft recoiling as my SIG 238 attests. I can see how it's so likable, but honestly all it did was make me appreciate the stopping power behind my G43 even more.

The G42 was like the proverbial 22LR when shot back-to-back-to-back-to-back with my EDC G23, G43, G19 and G42. Since I'm very used to 40S&W the 380 just came off as wimpy. I typically don't feel particularly 'protected' with 380 even when I was occasionally using my 238 as a carry gun, and all this comparison exercise did was reinforce that sensation.

LWD just got another batch of 9x18 Mak Alphawolf conversion barrels in...maybe soon I'll have a REAL reason to pick up a G42. Big Grin

If you go that route, let us know, a forum member named Sunset thinks that would be a great conversion.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post