SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    PSA: Taran Tactical base pads and the M&P 2.0 Compact
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PSA: Taran Tactical base pads and the M&P 2.0 Compact Login/Join 
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted
PSA: I love Taran Tactical base pad extensions. High quality, reliable as can be...just a great product.

Upon my recent switch to the M&P 2.0 Compact I went to Taran's website to order some base pads for it.

On their site, it clearly say, in red print even, "not for Compact."

Well, if you're like me, the second you read something like that, you say, "hold my beer" and hit the order button. Big Grin

The base pads came in today so I started playing with them. As you can see, they work just fine with a 17 round mag in the 2.0 Compact...that was obviously anticipated.

I put a base pad on a 15 rounder and did indeed find that it doesn't fit. However, when I remove the thing holding the grip on it will seat in the compact.

So, for those who have to touch the stove to ensure it's hot, I'd say that the current Taran base pad extensions are indeed not for the 2.0 Compact. It would indeed be possible to modify things to make them work, but I'll just stick to the extended 17 rounders in my Compact for now. I'm sure Taran will be coming along with a solution for the 15 rounders soon.

The pics...

17 Rounders fit fine. (Note this mag is for my 5" 2.0. I'll confirm tonight that it fits...don't have that gun with me)

15 rounder won't fit

15 rounder could be made to fit if you wanted to bust out the Dremel.

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: esdunbar,

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
Isn't the pin sticking up what keeps the extension on the magazine body? Seems you'd have to dremel out space for the pin to protrude out the top if you really wanted to make these work.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAFO:
Isn't the pin sticking up what keeps the extension on the magazine body? Seems you'd have to dremel out space for the pin to protrude out the top if you really wanted to make these work.

yes, but there's a cut out in the frame that it can/would go up into.

I pushed the pin down all the way, but it will fit up in there. The only clearance issue is the grip holder/tool thingy.

Looking back at my original post, that wasn't clear. I'll fix that, thanks.

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
That design sure is different. They are backwards from the CZ base pads I use where the pin is located on the back side of the magazine.
Were these manufactured wrong?

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
That design sure is different. They are backwards from the CZ base pads I use where the pin is located on the back side of the magazine.
Were these manufactured wrong?

My Glock ones had the pin in the back too. The M&P ones are designed to have the pin in the front. I'm not sure why, but I'd guess maybe to avoid the grip tool, plug thing?