SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P228 Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P228 Question Login/Join 
posted
I picked up a P228 from a LEO a couple of years ago and it has set in my safe since then. My Sig serial number is AJU 7977*, box is standard blue box with a small white sticker that reads "P228 9mm German NS" and "E28-9-BSS" and serial numbered box matches...born date on white sticker reads "April-2013".
This P228 was sold to me as coming from a group buy LEO order and it had 7 rounds through it and condition looks as such.

The slide is marked P228 but in checking serial numbers in the serial number list the P228's don't start with a AJU prefix but the P229's do.

Did Sig ever produce the P228's with a P229 frame?

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SummersAtTheLake:
I picked up a P228 from a LEO a couple of years ago and it has set in my safe since then. My Sig serial number is AJU 7977*, box is standard blue box with a small white sticker that reads "P228 9mm German NS" and "E28-9-BSS" and serial numbered box matches...born date on white sticker reads "April-2013".
This P228 was sold to me as coming from a group buy LEO order and it had 7 rounds through it and condition looks as such.

The slide is marked P228 but in checking serial numbers in the serial number list the P228's don't start with a AJU prefix but the P229's do.

Did Sig ever produce the P228's with a P229 frame?

The last ever batch of P228s that SIG released was from late 2012 to April 2013, and they have AHU-, AJU-, and AKU-prefixes. So, yes.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Here is one that I used to own.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much for the quick clarification and my P228 is identical to yours.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Don't forget, SIG used P229 frames for the P228 a few years before that, in 2009.
-The SAS frame P228
-The railed P228.

These have B-prefix serial numbers, but we all know the frames are P229 originally.

Q

posted Hide Post
I'm considering doing some modifications on this P228 and if it was anything special/collectors handgun I would just leave it stock.
I only have 1 two-tone Sig at the moment and got the urge for another. It is either send my P228 to CCR or buy another 228/229 that has holster wear and customize that one....decisions, decisions...

posted Hide Post
At this point in the life of 228's, I'd never modify a pristine factory one.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Please don't refinish that pristine P228. Buy a beater if you want to refinish it.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My P228 has one small (but noticeable) scratch on the slide and if it did not have the scratch I would not touch the finish.
Mary at CCR has been great at answering all my questions and my P228 will go out to her on Tuesday.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Are you going to CPII the slide?

Q

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
CPII would be nice for a two tone look or house black to match.

I'm in the market for a beater 228 or 239 to send to CCR as a 21st bday gift for my daughter in law.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Are you going to CPII the slide?

I'm going with CPII on the slide and controls and Cera-Hide Black on the frame and CCR is running the special right now and cost is $259.00.
I thought since I had it in to CCR I might as well do the frame too...going to order wood Sig Sauer Rosewood grips to top it off.

posted Hide Post
btw...I am not planning on having the barrel refinished....it is in perfect condition. Should I do the barrel also? I've tried to research this and find more "don'ts" than "do's" if the barrel is in good condition.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it is pristine, except for the small scratch on the slide. Refinish the slide in CPII, if you wish, but I don't see any reasons for refinishing the frame. You can't CPII the frame, anyway, so all you do is Cera-Hiding it, which is nowhere near as good as CPII.

Q

Cummings Custom Refinishing
posted Hide Post
You are comparing apples and oranges. CPII is a plating process you are putting metal onto metal

Cera-Hide is also a very durable hard finish that is offered for Alloys and steels in color choices We DO NOT remove the factory anodize which is the hardest so the Cera-Hide adds to it

Cummings Custom Refinishing offers Quality Craftsmanship at affordable prices. Fully Lic FFL's for over 30 years
OFTEN IMITATED BUT NEVER DUPLICATED
423-639-8924
www.ccrrefinishing.com

Posts: 5208 | Location: Eastern Tn | Registered: March 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCR:
You are comparing apples and oranges. CPII is a plating process you are putting metal onto metal

Cera-Hide is also a very durable hard finish that is offered for Alloys and steels in color choices We DO NOT remove the factory anodize which is the hardest so the Cera-Hide adds to it

I know they are apple and orange. No matter how you put it, Cera-Hide not a plating process like CPII. Spray on, paint on, or whatever fancy term, it is not plating. CPII is better/more wear resistant, period.

Q

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SummersAtTheLake:
My P228 has one small (but noticeable) scratch on the slide and if it did not have the scratch I would not touch the finish.
Mary at CCR has been great at answering all my questions and my P228 will go out to her on Tuesday.

I would not refinish what is otherwise a pristine P228. The SIG Custom Shop will re-blue your carbon steel slide for $99.95....Just sayin'! Wink

https://www.sigsauer.com/custom-shop/

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8787 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post