SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sights for Glock 17 Gen 5
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sights for Glock 17 Gen 5 Login/Join 
posted
I'm stuck between the yellow Trijicon HDs, or the Truglo Tritium Pro sights (NOT the TFX). Can anyone help me out? I've Googled until I've cycled back to the same websites, and I'm still stuck.

My goal: POI at the top edge of the sight at 25 yds with 115gr 9mm ammo out of a Gen 5 Glock 17, as well as a front sight that is NOT skinny...that is, one which fills most of the rear notch. I find I'm more accurate at distance with "less light bars", and it seems many of the aftermarket sight sets are now set up with skinny front sights (in comparison to the stock Glock night sight sets).

Thanks in advance. Appreciate your recommendation on a subject I know has been beat to death. Hoping for feedback from those of you who may have owned/used these sets. These will be for duty use.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the AMERIGLO BOLD on my 17 Gen5 great point of aim and they really pop with the Orange dot on the front sight and great green/green combo $100 for them from Glock if my suggestion will help you but can’t go wrong with Trijicon either I got them on both my Glock 22 one the Gen3 and Gen4 my 19X has the Glock factory night sights on that which are pretty good IMHO

Posts: 85 | Location: Bloomington Minnesota | Registered: May 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The HDs are not for you then. Sampling the last 65 guns we’ve got into inventory, they all hit 1-1.5 inches high at 25 yards.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
another option would be to buy a set from dawson, with the thickness you want up front, and their perfect impact guarantee....

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:
another option would be to buy a set from dawson, with the thickness you want up front, and their perfect impact guarantee....

True. I was kinda hoping for something with a hi-viz front as well, if possible, preferably yellow like the HDs, as I really like the yellow ring on my HK sights. Prefer it over the green in the X-Rays or the orange in the Ameriglo Bold.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:

True. I was kinda hoping for something with a hi-viz front as well, if possible, preferably yellow like the HDs, as I really like the yellow ring on my HK sights. Prefer it over the green in the X-Rays or the orange in the Ameriglo Bold.

I generally stick with fiber optic or black sights, but i believe that dawson has a high viz front. I think it is white vs yellow, though.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I agreed the trijicon HD sights hit high

Like the ameriglo holds.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Love my Ameriglo Agent sights.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had Trijicon HD's in the past but since then I much prefer black rear and FO front, I have a 10-8 rear and Dawson precision front (.215x.115) and this set up POA POI at 25 yds with 115 gr. (G17 gen 5).

Posts: 931 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve always used trijicon a but last summer I had a customer service experience with ameriglo that was so good, they are all I’ll buy moving forward.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read that the ones for the gen 4 work better on the gen 5 and are right on ?????

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The HD's are great sights. I've used orange for some time as I like the ability to contrast against most backgrounds. When I initially tried the yellow front, I felt like it washed out against light backgrounds.

I've been using the yellow front just lately on several pistols and I like it. I prefer the XR front to the standard HD.

I've had only one problem with the HD sights, other than one broken front that was an installation issue. The orange outline on a P320 partially fell out while shooting a steel match. I sent the slide back to Trijicon and they took care of it. I send a second slide with it and they put a set of HD's with an XR front on that one, too.

I've used Trijicon sights for a long time, and I like them.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShoreGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:
I'm stuck between the yellow Trijicon HDs, or the Truglo Tritium Pro sights (NOT the TFX). Can anyone help me out? I've Googled until I've cycled back to the same websites, and I'm still stuck.

My goal: POI at the top edge of the sight at 25 yds with 115gr 9mm ammo out of a Gen 5 Glock 17, as well as a front sight that is NOT skinny...that is, one which fills most of the rear notch. I find I'm more accurate at distance with "less light bars", and it seems many of the aftermarket sight sets are now set up with skinny front sights (in comparison to the stock Glock night sight sets).

Thanks in advance. Appreciate your recommendation on a subject I know has been beat to death. Hoping for feedback from those of you who may have owned/used these sets. These will be for duty use.

I had replaced my G26 G3’s Old sights with Night Fision (yellow front) and have been very impressed and they were only around $90. I then bought a G19 G4 that came with Trijicon HD’s (yellow front) and I have to say they are my fav, all other things being equal, they are just the right height, a little higher than the same U Notch rear as the Night Fisions.

West German P228 (first duty weapon)
GOTM Nickel P229

Posts: 79 | Location: NC | Registered: March 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Interestingly, 10-8 Performance is dipping a toe into the Glock world of HD style sights. I talked to Hilton a couple of weeks ago, and he said he was working on them because the demand was heavy. They usually zero better than HDs.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Rogue and Blackguard
Picture of FPNunes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Interestingly, 10-8 Performance is dipping a toe into the Glock world of HD style sights. I talked to Hilton a couple of weeks ago, and he said he was working on them because the demand was heavy. They usually zero better than HDs.

I saw them up on his FB page and I think that they are going to do well. I'm ordering a couple to pair with the 10-8 standard rears for the Gen4 pistols I still have.

On my G19/G17 gen 5 guns I'm running the Ameriglo Hangun Combatives T-CAP sights and have to say that the front orange square is a major winner for me. Very fast to pickup and POA/POI for me. I highly recommend them.

Save the whales. Redeem them for valuable prizes...

Posts: 1556 | Location: Missing New England everyday | Registered: March 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I went with the Truglo Tritium Pro sights for this pistol. Almost went with the HDs, but what tipped the scales for me was a review that said the HDs have more "light bars" than the Truglos. I'm a fan of skinny light bars, so I picked the Truglos.

Pros: Easy to pick up, easy to keep aligned, and already provided me with better groupings out to 25 yards when compared against the stock Glock night sights. They seem to be made well and installed very easily. Rear notch was the same width as my stock Gen 5 Glock rear night sight, but the Truglo front was wider (I dig it) than the front Glock night sight.

Cons: Almost entirely a 6 o'clock hold with 115gr Blazer Brass at 25 yds, and definitely a solid 6 o'clock hold with 147gr Winchester Ranger at the same distance. I'd say the 115gr was about 2" high (off the tip of the front sight at 25 yds), but the 147gr was like 4 or 5".

I'll give this setup a couple months and see how I like it. Definitely an improvement all around vs. the standard Glock night sights. Interestingly, the stock rear sight was a 6.1 on this gun, whereas stock (IIRC) is usually a 6.5 for the G17. I read it has something to do with how the Gen 5 guns print vs. earlier generations, but can't say that's for sure what the deal is. I do know the rear sight seemed lower than my Gen 4 G22, but the Truglos sure were easier to rack off the holster with the angled rear sight.

I'm a fan of 6 o'clock hold in general, so maybe this is for the best. Was hoping for something at the tip of the front sight, but can't argue with the groups so far.

Thanks to all for the help. Hopefully this info will be of assistance to someone else someday.