SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Replacement mag springs P226 mec-gars?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Replacement mag springs P226 mec-gars? Login/Join 
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted
3 of my constant use mags have stopped reliably locking back the slide every time. Is Wolff the best place for replacements? Even for the 18- and 20-rd Mec-Gars?

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3202 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Doesnt Top Gun and Brownells have those specific mag springs? I dont think Wolf carries them?

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.brownells.com/magaz...rings-prod71394.aspx

Here ya go. Just came off the page looking for some myself.

Posts: 17135 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Top Gun Supply
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Says they're for the 15 round magazines. Think that matters? I need 18- and 20-rounders.

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
No available replacement parts from Mec-Gar themselves; it's how they roll. Annoying.

Dunno if Wolff actually does the large cap mag springs. You might try SIG themselves and see if they sell replacement springs for their 20rd P226 Tacops magazines. Probably will be a Checkmate-sourced part, but it should be sized about right. Either that or buy new complete Mec-Gar mags. Frown

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have to ask if you've tried cleaning/inspecting the mag body, internals and followers. Could just be gunked up.

I don't doubt that springs may eventually crap out, but I've never had the problem. Wonder if it's related to extended capacity mags, which I never use. Did have two very old (about 30 years) 1911 practice mags with bumpers go due to popped welds on the base plates caused by dropping on concrete floors. That's it after shooting various semi's since 1972.

I've got a 1995 P229 with about 45,000 rounds on it. All the practice mags still 100%. Mostly dropped on concrete range floor.

Depending on use, I'll periodically disassemble mags for cleaning and inspection.

Good luck on your search.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Either that or buy new complete Mec-Gar mags. Frown
I have new replacements. I just don't like having mags around that aren't 100% ready to go. You know?

Nipper, good thoughts and I really should have a close look at them. I've wiped them down but these have been dropped in the dust quite a few times. I marked them after they didn't lock back during a match, then came home and tried to make them fail to lock back, and they locked. Then I questioned my thumb riding the slide stop, but then I had them fail to lock in the next match (local matches, don't mean anything important, otherwise I'd have used new mags) even shooting strong hand only with my thumb locked down out of the way. So now I suspect they're just getting old and maybe a combination of my "lightish" reloads.

And I need to clean them. LOL