SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    38 Super Mags Preference
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

38 Super Mags Preference Login/Join 
Picture of 19tass
posted
I just picked up a new Series 70 Colt Gold Cup in 38 Super, which only came with one magazine (Metalform, I think?) I need to pick up some extras, and was wondering what brands you guys have had good results with?

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I have had good Luck with Wilson 9 & 10 round mags.

I have also had good success with Mec-Gar 9 round mags, which are generally less expensive. They are flush fitting.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Another nod for Wilson mags

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A couple of years ago I bought a new DW PM 38 and purchased a few Chip McCormick mags for it. Have worked well for me.

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tripp Cobra magazines work great in my 1911 in
.45 ACP. I would certainly try them in .38 Super.
They are a good quality magazine but, they are not cheap.

Posts: 141 | Registered: June 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
Either Wilson Combat or CMC 9 or 10 rd.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 706 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
For as long as I can remember the only magazines I ever used in my 38SUPER or 9x23 Winchester chambered 1911s have been Colt factory, Devel (now called Chip McCormik) and Mec-Gar

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 2012 Colt .38SA that I have used an abused for the last 4 years. About 10,000 rounds so far and the last I cleaned it was Dec 2018 I think. I recommend Tripp, Wilson and for range use the MecGar's work well.

Posts: 51 | Registered: August 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
The only mags I have ever used in my Super's have been Colt factory (made by Metalform) or actual Metalform mags. Never had any issues. I have used both the flat follower style and the rounded follower style. The round follower style seems to load very smooth and works great. This is what I use when I am carrying my Colt Commander. No issues at all with ball or hollow points. You can find the Metalform mags in many styles. Round follower/flat follower, welded base/removable base, blued/stainless steel. And they can be found at good prices.

A few places:

MidwayUSA

Gunmag Warehouse

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies and info. Much appreciated!

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Tripp

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Wilsons, but, if I'm going to use a pistol for shooting a match, where I have to do mag changes (they usually end up in sand or mud)
The Tripp mags are far easier to disassemble and clean

Posts: 221 | Location: WI | Registered: October 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post