SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Looking for a cheap but decent .22 semi auto pistol.....
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a cheap but decent .22 semi auto pistol..... Login/Join 
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Buck Mark.

Posts: 5138 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RonJon:
Beretta Neos is easy to disassemble, clean, and shoots accurately.
It is very low cost for what you get.

On the Beretta forums there are complaints about the Neos trigger.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8952 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the Ruger MK-III for teaching in my concealed carry classes. I have a Ruger 22/45 MK-III with over 29,000 rounds through it, and a MK-III Hunter with over 23,000 rounds. Still using the original magazines on both guns, and all I do is clean them every 500-1000 rounds, whether they need it or not.

Not sure if the Browning Buck Mark would do that, but I think it will. You can't go wrong with either gun. Also check price/availability of extra magazines - you probably want several extra for the range.

A superior pilot is best defined as one who uses his superior judgment to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skill.

Posts: 369 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by RonJon:
Beretta Neos is easy to disassemble, clean, and shoots accurately.
It is very low cost for what you get.

On the Beretta forums there are complaints about the Neos trigger.
Yes, the trigger on my Neos is quite heavy as compared to all my other .22 pistols - Ruger, S&W, Buckmark.

I would go with a Ruger, Buckmark or S&W.

If you get an earlier Ruger, you can put a Majectic Arms Speed Strip Kit into it and field stripping becomes simple.
I have the kit in both of my Ruger .22s.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16514 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
SR22 or S&W Victory. Mid 300s for either one.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Out of what I've tried I like the SR22 for this duty. Thanks to this post I'm browsing models again...

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer old classics and with a little time and patience they can be found inexpensively. I have S&W 422, berettta jaguar Colt challenger S&W model 17 revolver all purchased for less than $250 off the used rack. I may be biased but think the older guns have better triggers are more reliable and have much greater accuracy potential than the current crop of combat trainer plastic frame guns.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
If you have a Sig, Glock, or 1911 just get a 22lr kit and be done with it. I have all three and it makes for an easy day of training.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone for all of the responses. I'm leaning toward the buckmark. I have a buddy who has a little Ruger 22 and loves it. I'll have to check pricing. I'm hoping to find a used one. I'm with captain127 on liking the older guns better.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bersa Thunder 22

Posts: 61 | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
If you stick with a "standard" .22 like Ruger MK or 22/45 series, Browning Buckmark or S&W Victory you are golden. I have all three and honestly, there isn't a hill of beans difference between them as far as performance goes. All shoot well, eat everything I have fed them and just keep on shooting. I do not have the newest generation Ruger...yet! However, I would look hard at that and the S&W Victory or the Browning...purely your preference.

The scaled down guns that are supposed to look like "real" guns just don't do it for me and if you are training someone a longer barrel won't hurt and will increase sight radius.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3627 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
Ruger MK IV. American built, accurate, easy to clean (WAY better than previous Mk's) and there are (or will be) a ton of aftermarket accessories if you are so inclined.

I have one, and a couple Mk II and II. All are fun to shoot. The MK II and III are a PITA to clean.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
If you have a Sig, Glock, or 1911 just get a 22lr kit and be done with it. I have all three and it makes for an easy day of training.

This x1000. When they switch to 9/40/45, the gun will feel exactly the same, nothing new to learn.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Beretta Neos.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
So I put 1,000 rounds through my Walther PPQ before any malfunctions. That was with zero lube or cleaning. Most of those suppressed.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8851 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcsabolt2:
If you stick with a "standard" .22 like Ruger MK or 22/45 series, Browning Buckmark or S&W Victory you are golden. I have all three and honestly, there isn't a hill of beans difference between them as far as performance goes. All shoot well, eat everything I have fed them and just keep on shooting. I do not have the newest generation Ruger...yet! However, I would look hard at that and the S&W Victory or the Browning...purely your preference.

The scaled down guns that are supposed to look like "real" guns just don't do it for me and if you are training someone a longer barrel won't hurt and will increase sight radius.

Iirc, ruger does or will have a "Standard" MKIV. For me, I can't resist the 22/45 mk2 when they are around $250. Without the mag safety, they are pretty easy to take down and put back together.

Posts: 3520 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you have a Sig, Glock, or 1911 just get a 22lr kit and be done with it.

This Not so much for kids and beginning shooters. Great for someone who uses the platform and has experience. The DA/SA Sig and glock triggers are very problematic for new shooters, and most 1911's weigh too much. not recommended based on lots of personal experience in teaching newbies.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I do like the idea of a conversion kit for one of my glocks. Does anyone know if the conversion kits work on the gen5?

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
Buck Mark.

Agree.

And it is refreshing that you spelled it correctly as two words, kudos to you. Smile

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
My issue with conversion kits is for what they cost, I could have a whole gun like a ruger or browning, S&W etc.