SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Looking for a cheap but decent .22 semi auto pistol.....
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a cheap but decent .22 semi auto pistol..... Login/Join 
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted
.....to train my wife and kids to shoot handguns. I was hoping for the opinions and suggestions from the forum, please.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Would it not make more sense to find yourself a .22 auto-loader that you like, then use that for training?

As for suggestions: The Ruger Mk X (where "X" = I, II, III, IV and 5) get pretty consistently good mention. Except the older ones some people find difficult to disassemble/assemble.

Some like the Browning Buck Mark.

Walther PPQ 22, perhaps? (Though I cannot recommend Walther at this time.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of the Ruger SR22. It's only around $300 and has been rock solid for me with all different types of ammo.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Would it not make more sense to find yourself a .22 auto-loader that you like, then use that for training?

As for suggestions: The Ruger Mk X (where "X" = I, II, III, IV and 5) get pretty consistently good mention. Except the older ones some people find difficult to disassemble/assemble.

Some like the Browning Buck Mark.

Walther PPQ 22, perhaps? (Though I cannot recommend Walther at this time.)[/QUOTE

Good point. I had a ruger mark 2 but like you said, the disassembly and assembly was terrible!

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:
.. I had a ruger mark 2 but like you said, the disassembly and assembly was terrible!

*shrug* Reassembly can be a bit tricky.

My Mk I was so tight I had to rest the back of the receiver on a towel on a table and lean on the grip to get it apart. The same, in reverse, to get it back together. Called Ruger. They had me send it in. Came back a couple weeks later all fixed up.

OTOH: Trigger is as sweet as all get out and, providing I keep it clean & lubed, it'll digest anything with nary a hiccup.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I vote for the Buckmark too. Possibly a used one with cosmetic defects (for low price). The Buckmark, too, has a nice trigger. Easy take-down and reassembly. With the barrel off the gun, it's easy to clean from the breech end.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Mark5's are so incredibly easy to work one, I can't imagine buying an older one for this kind of use. But I don't think they fall in the cheap category. But maybe we can have some idea of the budget, in this area it matters.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Very hard to go wrong with a BuckMark

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11144 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
I have a Smith M&P .22 Compact that I like.

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Do you own a Glock? You can get an Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit for ~$250-$300.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SR22. Mine works great.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
PPQ and M&P’s in 22LR are both good choices. My PPQ has been solid.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
I absolutely love my Ruger Mark IV 22/45. Other than my 10/22, it’s my favorite gun to shoot.

Posts: 3519 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
PPQ and M&P’s in 22LR are both good choices. My PPQ has been solid.

The M&P 22 Compact is a good approximation of a centerfire pistol. I've been very happy with mine thus far. Not as accurate as my Mk IV, but easy to teach and learn on. Just make sure if you go this route to get the Compact as it's made by S&W. The full size models are/were made by Walter.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Browning Buckmark all day long. Silly accurate and feeds everything for about $300. It is a no brainer.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RonJon
posted Hide Post
Beretta Neos is easy to disassemble, clean, and shoots accurately.
It is very low cost for what you get.

Posts: 128 | Location: Mn | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...so the Ruger SR22 is a DA/SA hammer fired gun (like a traditional SIG)?
While the S&W M&P22 is a striker fired gun like the rest of the S&W M&P weapons and Glocks?
Is that accurate?

Posts: 603 | Registered: December 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DukeMinski:
Hmmm...so the Ruger SR22 is a DA/SA hammer fired gun (like a traditional SIG)?
While the S&W M&P22 is a striker fired gun like the rest of the S&W M&P weapons and Glocks?
Is that accurate?

Not really. The M&P is actually hammer fired, it's just that the hammer isn't exposed and is hidden in the grip, behind the rear cover of the slide. It is not however capable of restrike. Easiest to treat it like it's a striker fired gun for training purposes though.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The M&P compact 22LR is single action only.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RonJon:
Beretta Neos is easy to disassemble, clean, and shoots accurately.
It is very low cost for what you get.

I agree. No doubt there are better pistols out there, but I've not found reason to look any further. It doesn't respond well to grease, a bit of oil and it runs like a top.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5149 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post