SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How many is too many?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many is too many? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I'd feel that I had too many guns at about the same time that I thought I had too much money. In other words, never.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3521 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
If there's any guns I have too many of, it's the legacy/heirloom pieces. I rarely if ever shoot them as I have moved on to other platforms and there's non-trivial sums of money tied up in them. Two are pistols my father bought me, one is a deer rifle he gave me.

If I went down to the guns I shot regularly, I'd get rid of everything except for some handguns. It'd generate a ludicrous amount of money, come to think of it. But then the buying cycle would restart.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Other than what Para said, I can't think of anything (within reason)that holds it's value as well. You will always have value in them.

Posts: 6864 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
For me they are all test subjects, I keep finding a gun I like and shoot better and the rest get tossed to the bottom of the pile. I see the money sitting there and sell them off kind of weird I know. right now I'm in love with my g45 Glock and my 365. Thinking of selling the rest, I don't need the money but why keep it? I sometimes hate this circle but when a new mouse trap comes along I have no choice. something about having a gun just sit there and collect dust bugs me.

Posts: 5579 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
I tried applying some of your comments to qualify a purchase on the last few handguns...then I laughed.

I did apply it on the last few purchases before buying them. The overwhelming answer was that I didn’t need it...but that don’t change the ‘but I still really want it and, at that price, it would be criminal to let it go!’ That was literally the last 6 hAndguns.....

Posts: 1348 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I think I’m at 62 GLOCK’s. I’m trying to catch up some other makers now.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7939 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The gun market trend toward more and more polymer weaponry has assisted me in curtailing my purchases. I do own a couple but guns are meant to be metal. Polymer guns have no soul. The only guns that I look at are on the used market.

Posts: 794 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Benderx4
posted Hide Post
I have about 5 more to sell, 3 more to give to my son, 2 more to my son-in-law, 1 more to my daughter ...... and I'll be there.

I too, have owned literally hundreds and hundreds of guns over the decades, and I've finally narrowed it down to my absolute favorites, and the ones I LOVE to shoot. Pretty amazing ....

Posts: 490 | Location: NE FL, JAX | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Benderx4
posted Hide Post

And a couple Sig Legion SAOs, black rifles, and .22LRs I don't have pics of yet.

Posts: 490 | Location: NE FL, JAX | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bashman
posted Hide Post
I’ll let you know when I get there. I’m not there yet.

A man who does not read has no appreciable advantage over the man who cannot read.

Posts: 1192 | Location: Charlotte | Registered: July 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not there yet but definitely buying more expensive guns so I feel like I need to upgrade my safe. Currently have as many Wilson Combats and PC revolvers as polymer guns so the paradigm has definitely shifted.

Posts: 133 | Location: Westfield, IN | Registered: June 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
I had too many firearms until my boating accident on the snake river...

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1301 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
It's a little bit like a woman worrying about whether she has slept with too many guys. If she's still keeping count, she's probably not a whore. Razz

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SheepdogIHSV
posted Hide Post
How many is too many? No such thing.

Luke 22:36

Posts: 87 | Registered: December 16, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It depends on what you want to do, and what your finances are like.

Any anti-firearm owner will say 1 is too many.

Firearm collectors won't bat an eye at 100-200. I know people with that many and it seems normal to them.

If it were 100 Glocks, or 100 ARs, that will strike a different chord than if it were 100 firearms, and 50-80 different makes/models/calibers.

I think most become less concerned if there is a noticeable variety of types/brands/calibers in the collection/accumulation.

I admit I am one who would be nervous if my neighbor John had 75 Glock G23 handguns. Yet, I would have no worries if he had 5 glocks of various models and calibers, a similar number of 1911s, or even more if half were true C&R collectibles [WWI issued, 1930s Issued, WWII issued, Korea issued, Vietnam issued, and then more modern ones].

It all depends on the person evaluating, and the way the number of firearms is accounted for.

But, that is only my opinion.

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post