SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How many is too many?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many is too many? Login/Join 
posted
Just curious if you ever reached a point where you thought you had enough or even too many firearms?
I have honestly gotten there I think, as several of the last purchases were buying just for the sake of buying something. Seems kinda stupid looking back, but is likely not enough to keep me from doing it again.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think so.

I've certainly hit a point at which I had no safe space.

The solution was to get another safe.

I very firmly believe there will come a time, in the near future or down the line, when we can't get firearms, and our children can't get them. Anyone who weathered decades of the "assault weapons ban" understands the damage that can be done.

The firearms I own aren't just for me to shoot. They're available for a time when they're needed, and hard to get.

The same is true, if not more so, of ammunition.

A government which finds restricting firearms difficult can more easily clamp down on ammunition and components. Simply because things are a plentiful and affordable right now doesn't mean they'll remain that way.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been there a few times, but it has resolved by taking the collection in a different direction. I have probably sold/traded as many as I currently own. I enjoy the research, planning, and accessorizing with something new.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I have sold off guns I no longer wanted or needed and the numbers have ebbed and flowed. It's more utilitarian now but I share some of sns3guppy's sentiment wrt availability. I grew up in the AWB era, so I know that time can return.

As long as you aren't in an assload of debt or neglecting other responsibilities, there are far worse hobbies to have than owning firearms. Besides, while they aren't investments, a properly purchased and owned firearm doesn't really lose value. It's like a savings account, you aren't gonna make a bunch of money but you probably aren't going lose much either.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Only Kneel
to Almighty God
posted Hide Post
Yes and No. I get on a kick with certain items and may part with other items to help fund my new kick.

There is always joy getting something new and letting someone else enjoy something you no longer "need' or use.

Posts: 3427 | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Yes. You reach a certain point in your life when you realize that your days for shooting are growing fewer. Unless you have a ready supply of heirs, you need to stop buying and begin shedding. Too many guns and you can't cycle through them quickly enough.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I've probably owned 300+ guns since the early 1970s. I think the most I've ever owned at one time was 12, right after retirement. I practiced don't buy something unless I sell something. I'm at a place in life now that I can afford to buy what I want.

I don't have a son to leave mine to. I have a nephew but he's more into his GLOCK than my HK, KIMBER or SIG. I want to avoid my wife having to deal with selling to a gun shop. If I could sell mine now, I'd keep only 2 or 3. Each of those would have a specific purpose.

I keep only what I shoot or carry.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
In all practicality I have too many.
Unfortunately my mental illness makes me believe that I am perpetually 2-3 pistols and 2-3 rifles away from a complete collection.
Then you get into standardizing....... Wink

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Balaam's Ass
Picture of Vero8
posted Hide Post
I'm almost there. Just a few NFA items and I will be at the perfect number.

God bless America...and no one else

Posts: 4396 | Location: Georgia | Registered: August 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I don't really know if there is an answer to "how many is too many?" I have way more than I can shoot on a regular basis but keep them to give to my boys. I've bought/sold/traded a lot over the last 25 years but have settled on what I have and am very happy with it. I have a list of what I want to buy still and the list has gotten smaller over the last few years. The next 6 - 12 months I will spend acquiring more ammo and more mags.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really only want 2-3 more guns, and i will be where I want to be.....but for how long??? can't say.

Posts: 6617 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One more.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am there now, actually. It occurred to me the other day that I have a couple of pistols that I have owned for years and never fired and I have a couple that I have no interest in firing again. Likewise, I realized I hadn’t oiled a few in some time and the idea of pulling them all out to oil made me start to think about off-loading a few.

Compound that with the fact that I want to buy another M9A3 and I am left considering the idea of thinning the herd to a more reasonable amount.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
I think the answer to this question is very different for everyone. I'd say for most people, we probably have more than what we need...but what does need have to do with anything. We only need air, water, food, and companionship.

However, I think that as you age, your interest varies.

For me, there was a time that skeet and sporting clay was a priority. Hunting was a phrase. Then there was the get all the preban guns. Then I got into the NFA and bought suppressors. Then I did a couple of form 1s.
Then I wanted to buy modern sporting rifle because they told me I shouldn't. Then my daughter got into competition shooting. .22 were the rage. Custom 10/22 was a phase after that. Then they introduced 1911 division. Now, there is a PCC division. Then I needed an o/u to shoot with her. And then the manufacturers start to innovate. I don't know why but I think there is an Archon B in my future. There is also a Luago Arms Alien in my picture. Probably a CZ Shadow 2..because my daughter wants one.

You get the picture.

However, every once in a while, I do thin the herd. Get rid of stuff I don't shoot and make a few $ off a smoking deal to buy something I want.

Posts: 1351 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I'm happy with all of the ones I have. I sold off a few a while back that I just wasn't that enamored with. Bought one......Now something has to be truly unique to peak my interest.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A wise man once said "you can't have everything, but you can have everything once." Most of the time I'm OK with thinning the herd from time to time, but there certainly have been regrets of things I never should have gotten rid of. Lately, I've been more focused on fewer but better pieces.

Posts: 5 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: November 14, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't understand the question...it makes no sense to me.

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 872 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If you have so many firearms, that you run out of places to put them, and you start putting them in a pile and the pile gets 18 feet high and one day, you're walking past the pile and a gun falls off the top of the pile, hits you in the head and kills you, you had too many firearms.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There.... It's settled.

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Well...

I have only two P220s in 9mm and three in 7.65mm, so I guess I need another 9mm just to make sure... Wink

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post