SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How many is too many?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many is too many? Login/Join 
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Too many, no. More than I need, yes. More than I use any more, yes. I need to start thinning the herd a bit.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Yes I have reached that point for myself. In the process of acquiring a long gun that is a backup, and something I have wanted for a few years now. It’s the last piece for the safe. I’ve always been pretty thorough or diligent about not owning too much stuff. My safe was bought to fit what I need, with room for backups. It wasn’t bought to be ever expanding. For 25 years I’ve bought stuff, and I either keep it and I sell something to offset or if I don’t like it I resell immediately. Someone will have to invent a new platform in terms of pistols for me to do anything and even then I’d sell one of my two existing platforms to offset. Now magazines and ammunition I can never have enough of. I hoarde those.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HOGSTR
posted Hide Post
There is no way to know, this is always an individual decision. For me, I treat my collection as an IRA...so adding here and there doesn't bother me as long as I acquire something that will continue to grow. I have friends who manage to keep one pistol and a shotgun. Other friends have gun rugs piled literally to the ceiling in multiple rooms. I see wisdom in both choices.

Posts: 172 | Location: Ozark Highlands | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking it's time to thin the herd down to 3-4 handguns, 2 rifles and 2 shotguns from God knows how many now.

My problem is that I don't have anyone to leave them to and being in my 70's the time is ripe for selling off some of the one's that I haven't shot in a long time. It'll be like cutting off fingers and toes but it needs to be done.

Maybe next year or the year after that. Shit, maybe it won't get done at all. Frown

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
too many guns? impossible

Posts: 28 | Location: Naples Fl | Registered: January 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
...said the non-dead guy with no blunt force trauma injuries...

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of awa762
posted Hide Post
Yes. I'm finally at the point of saying that I have "just enough."

I always try to ask myself the following questions before making another gun purchase:

1. Is this gun going to enhance the quality of my life in some way? Stated differently, will this next gun purchase unnecessarily DETRACT from my ability to make reasonable progress over time toward living a financially independnet life, or at least reaching my monthly and yearly financial goals. ***This is the steepest question to satisfy if answered honestly.

2. Does this gun fill a void or gap in my current inventory? I.e., will having this new aquisition allow me to do something THAT I ACTUALLY WANT TO DO, which I can't currently do more or less interchangably with my current firearms?

3. Does this gun fit into the scheme of spare parts, magazine, and ammunition compatibility with my current items?

I think it is a good idea to get at least 2 and more like 3 (or more) guns of each type that you really like and shoot well. You never know, you might lose, destroy, or wear out one of your favorite guns, and then you will have wished that you had some redundancy. Then, get spare parts and tools to work on these guns (the 2-3+ of each type), just more than enough magazines, and more ammo than you think you "need," plus more on top of that. Once you've done this, you MIGHT have enough.

My philosophy for most guns is that if one is good enough to own and keep, and if it might be banned or shot to the point of being worn out over the next 1-3 decades, then you have no business owning only one of that type of gun.

Join and Support the NRA

Posts: 180 | Location: Greater New Orleans Area... see us on the news??? | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Have made several sincere commitments not to buy another gun but couldn't stick to it. May try making the commitment with one hand on a Bible to see if that steels my resolve.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1532 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
Arm yourself; arm your family. They will strive hard to disarm us, keep many extras. Hoard ammo too. Smile

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
When I think I have too many, I buy one more, to test the veracity of my delusion.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^
I like the way you think, Sigmonkey! Cool

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I consider the 2nd amendment to be one of the most critical we have.

Owning more firearms is patriotic. It's upholding the constitution by celebrating its institutions.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
When I think I have too many, I can count on the members of Sigforum to keep things in perspective. I don’t even have 100 handguns yet. I don’t believe so..... Maybe I need to count.

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You don't have too many.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That’s a great question and I answer it the same way I answer my wife when she asks how many guns do I own...

I assume my most philosophical pose and I tell her, “Some things can never be known.” Wink

Former US Army, Sgt., 82nd Abn. Div. Paratrooper,
Infantryman, (81mm Mortars) Certified Armorer

Love God, Country, & Family

Posts: 89 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: November 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
I don't understand this phrase "too many" of which you speak.

As far as "enough" is concerned ... my definition of "enough" = "just one more" !!

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I had a friend who was a collector of one makers pistols. I have no idea how many he had in total, but it must have been an impressive number. He did tell me he had 56 copies of just one specific model variation. That's when I decided I didn't have too many.

Posts: 21054 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I had a friend who was a collector of one makers pistols. I have no idea how many he had in total, but it must have been an impressive number. He did tell me he had 56 copies of just one specific model variation. That's when I decided I didn't have too many.

You're friends with 12131? Razz

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
This thread makes me feel better about my recent gunbroker addiction. Thank you....

Posts: 436 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Seriously thinking of cutting back. I am never going to shoot them all. Getting to the point of thinking you can't take them with you. Two kids and one nephew are not very interested.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post