SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How many is too many?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many is too many? Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
I have only two P220s in 9mm and three in 7.65mm, so I guess I need another 9mm just to make sure... Wink
Lol, I remember that member who collected each classic P-series SIG Sauer model by type, finish, and year of manufacture.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It used to be I had enough when the safe was filled. Then I got another safe, so the new standard is when two safes are filled. You see how this goes.

Posts: 2017 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I promise that I'll let you know when I reach that number.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Do you still have the original boxes for all of your guns? If so, you don’t have too many.

You can revisit this issue once you have to start throwing out boxes/cases because you simply have no more corners to stack them in Razz

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like a utilitarian collection. If a gun doesn't serve a purpose, it's for sale. Some have fallen victim as I found other guns I liked better to fill their roles.

Too many for me is if I have to really stress as I dig out magazines for a range trip.

Posts: 442 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^ For all that came with them, yes. Some bought used so no box.
I think I might feel less foolish had I anybody to leave them to. No kids or close relatives I don't expect to outlive, so they will likely be a burden on my executor to dispose of.
I also don't sell. Have never traded or sold one after purchase. As such, I have a better inventory than at least a couple local shops I deal with.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
I have only two P220s in 9mm and three in 7.65mm, so I guess I need another 9mm just to make sure... Wink
Lol, I remember that member who collected each classic P-series SIG Sauer model by type, finish, and year of manufacture.
Nice! Even I can't see myself with 42+ P220s, so for me, just having one from each year would be too many.

I'd still have to make room for the Desert Eagles, Glocks, and the 50 cal. Yet still get distracted by this one. Wink

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of D4Heavy
posted Hide Post
I don’t think you can have too many but, I do find my self thinking I need to spend more time at the range and less time shopping for guns.

Posts: 398 | Location: Alabama | Registered: December 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Rogue and Blackguard
Picture of FPNunes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D4Heavy:
I don’t think you can have too many but, I do find my self thinking I need to spend more time at the range and less time shopping for guns.

Exactly this ^^^^

Save the whales. Redeem them for valuable prizes...

Posts: 1556 | Location: Missing New England everyday | Registered: March 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Not sure about too many, but I'm at/approching enough.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Depends on your zip code Smile

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m thinking of “today” and “down the road” for when I start shooting with my son.

I’m not done buying (!!!), but may be done trading because I like what I’ve got right now. In fact, I thought about my inventory again just yesterday and couldn’t identify a single gun to sell. Between my favorites, heirlooms and guns to share with my son, I like what I’ve got.

However, I will share that I succesfully consolidated years ago from “too many” different calibers to a “manageable” amount. It helped me thin my G&A herd and the unintended benefit was simplified ammo hoarding.

Posts: 217 | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
How many is too many?

A + n

Where A is what you have now, and n is what you'll buy next. And, "next" is unrestricted. Smile

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
If you have so many firearms, that you run out of places to put them, and you start putting them in a pile and the pile gets 18 feet high and one day, you're walking past the pile and a gun falls off the top of the pile, hits you in the head and kills you, you had too many firearms.

I believe this was the original script to Top Gun. Wink

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
If you have so many firearms, that you run out of places to put them, and you start putting them in a pile and the pile gets 18 feet high and one day, you're walking past the pile and a gun falls off the top of the pile, hits you in the head and kills you, you had too many firearms.

I'm close. I have stacks of Beretta 92's on my work tables. I stopped counting at 25 of them (the nice ones are locked up).

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I've never hit too many. My desire to purchase more has ebbed and flowed. I'll go through a phase (e.g. right now) where I'm acquiring a bunch in a short time span, but then I won't purchase any new for a year or more and just enjoy what I have. Having a full safe(s) helps that too.

On the other hand, my coworker's father truly had too many. Entire basement was jam packed full of rifles. Less than ideal storage climate and way more than a dozen retired guys could shoot.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have 25 of anything (that's impressive), but certainly having multiple copy's of something like a P220 means you can't get out and shoot some of them. And that makes me think I have too many, but If I get conked on the head by one falling off the pile then my wife will know I had too many. I don't want to go there:-)

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
I don't think so.

I've certainly hit a point at which I had no safe space.

The solution was to get another safe.

I very firmly believe there will come a time, in the near future or down the line, when we can't get firearms, and our children can't get them. Anyone who weathered decades of the "assault weapons ban" understands the damage that can be done.

The firearms I own aren't just for me to shoot. They're available for a time when they're needed, and hard to get.

The same is true, if not more so, of ammunition.

A government which finds restricting firearms difficult can more easily clamp down on ammunition and components. Simply because things are a plentiful and affordable right now doesn't mean they'll remain that way.

^^^^
This. I strongly agree, particularly with paragraph 4. So much so that almost all of my recent purchases are toward firearms that are likely to be targeted.

I don't believe that one can have too many. We only get one go-around, and we might as well enjoy the time we have. I don't have much in the way of excess funding, but I scrimp and save to get the guns I want/need. I have no intention of stopping. A Langdon 92 Elite LTT is next.

Posts: 1092 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
Just curious if you ever reached a point where you thought you had enough or even too many firearms?
I have honestly gotten there I think, as several of the last purchases were buying just for the sake of buying something. Seems kinda stupid looking back, but is likely not enough to keep me from doing it again.

Reached that point a few months ago and sold a few that never got shot.
I was like you and would buy pistols like a madman. Shot them, some barely, sold them and then bought another different one.
Finally stopped. I have 2 carry pistols and a few collectors that sit.
That's me though. To each his/her own.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well...

NO! you need to send one 7.65mm my way. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Udo,

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post