SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Poll: SIG SAUER Factory Guide Rod or Grayguns Fat Guide Rod?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll: SIG SAUER Factory Guide Rod or Grayguns Fat Guide Rod? Login/Join 
Picture of elberettas
posted
Happy Friday Everyone,

A Buddy of mine wants to replace the plastic guide rod that came on his P226. He's not sure whether he should opt for the Grayguns rod, or just get the SIG factory rod for $10 less. I directed him to this wonderful site, but thought I'd ask anyway. As always, any and all input is greatly appreciated!

Question:
Which guide rod would you rather buy for your P226?

Choices:
SIG SAUER Factory Guide Rod
Grayguns Fat Guide Rod

Posts: 1958 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
Grayguns hand down. Anything I have purchased from Grayguns has been top notch.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I have a GG rod in my P226 and my P225s, I like them

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10725 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have GG guide rods in both of my P226’s along with my P228 and P229. They work flawlessly in all of my applications but honestly they are overpriced for what they are.

Posts: 472 | Location: Montgomery County, PA | Registered: December 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post

I believe the Grayguns “fat” rod was developed to fill the guide hole in the front of the slide more completely. As illustrated by the photo, there’s a significant gap that has sometimes allowed the recoil spring to escape through the hole and cause a “stoppage of death” (as I remember its being described).

The Grayguns rod is also said to be heat treated to prevent wear and “ringing,” as well as being finished in an extremely durable finish. The ones I own have been subject to thousands of cycles with no finish wear. (Yes, I know that’s cosmetic and on a part that’s not normally visible, but I still find it somewhat remarkable.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
I have a GG rod in my P226 and my P225s, I like them

I just wish they would make one for the German made P225.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
I just wish they would make one for the German made P225.
Wait, what?
They list it as out of stock on their website(P225/P6), but I have one on a P225... Admittedly, I'm not sure when they made their last production run though.
https://grayguns.com/product/c...per-black-guide-rod/

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6211 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post