SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    1st Range trip with P226 Legion & P239 in 357
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1st Range trip with P226 Legion & P239 in 357 Login/Join 
Picture of Blume9mm
posted
So yesterday I made it to my gun club and shot the P226 Legion and the P239, both in 357 Sig... Y'all warned me about the 'snap' with the 357s but also said it was not as bad as a 357 magnum shooting 125 grain.... well I have to say it is close... for me not nearly as much fun to shoot as 9mm. But I did not buy either one of these for range work but more for if a bad thing happened.... The P226 is really not bad and I could shoot it a good bit... but the p239 is a work out for me. I plan to carry this one and shoot it at the range maybe twice a year.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IMHO, I'd carry a gun that wasn't a "work out" for you and I'd also practice with it more than a couple times a year.

Posts: 148 | Registered: June 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
You’ll adjust to P239. Rest easy knowing it’s a winning combination to EDC with that will get the task done if you do your part Wink Btw, excellent acquisition!

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
The work out was shooting over 50 rounds in the p239 trying to get the laser adjusted... also, I have two broken vertebrae in my back from a fall two weeks ago that might have made it a little bit tougher.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I can see the 239 being snappy, but the 226 should be a soft shooting dream; my standard 226 in .40 is smooth as butter.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15555 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
You are right the 226 really was not that bad, but I'm used to shooting 9mm. Only problem is I got to go buy more 357 sig ammo and they don't give that stuff away.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about the fall, Blume.

Glad you got to shoot the P226 Legion.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1929 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sweet combination of guns and round. I handled the Legion at TGS in 2017, but I just lost my job after 22 years and couldn't take it home with me. Nice package.

Normally I would say Georgia Arms' Canned Heat is your friend, but the new ammo prices have bottomed and you can acquire bulk Speer Lawman for $30/1000 less than reman. Both run flawlessly in my P226 SSE & P239, so buy with confidence.

I found what I believe is a method of getting comfortable shooting the P239 in 357, shooting it well, and avoiding the flinch. First work on your grip at home and at the range, as it is really important in this combination. Second, practice dry fire a lot. Third, start your range session with the P239. Run 3-4 mags, then move to another gun (maybe just one or two while your back heals). Try to shoot the gun every range trip. You might find that it will improve your accuracy with your other guns also.

I also found a 9mm barrel to be helpful cutting practice costs. It will take 1000-2000 rounds to pay back the cost of the barrel, but you will also have a two caliber gun should (when) ammo get scarce again.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
.357SIG has NOWHERE NEAR the recoil of .357 Magnum in my opinion. Now what I do feel it has is lots of “Bark” and concussive blast if you will. That may trick your mind into thinking it has more recoil then it does. I am not a .357SIG Guy but out of my P239 I found it to be quite pleasant feeling, just LOUD!!!!!!!

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7674 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
You are right the 226 really was not that bad, but I'm used to shooting 9mm. Only problem is I got to go buy more 357 sig ammo and they don't give that stuff away.

How I wish the .357 had taken off better than it did to the point that ammo prices mirrored 9mm and .40; it’s the only reason I don’t have one in the safe. I suppose I could pick up a barrel for my .226 since it’s a straight drop in, especially if I can find a nice used one.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15555 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Gearhound, you probably know this... but the barrel is only a straight drop in if your p226 is a 40 caliber.... has to do with the same load in the cartridge (for the recoil spring) and the thickness of the barrel that has to fit and work in the slide.

Brnetma, Georgia Arms is my goto for bulk ammo and I plan to goto our local gun show in a month and pick up some from them. I'll probably pre-order it and they'll have it under the table reserved for me. I did this a number of years ago when .380 could not be found and almost caused a riot at the show when they pulled my bulk box out.

Redhookbklyn: Once again, thank you again for passing that P226 legion on to me. I really like it... I'd say it's my new BBQ gun but I really don't have a lot of opportunities to wear one... and most folks I know would not know what I'm showing off. I am thinking about modifiying it with a short thin trigger...

Just to say it... my fall... 37 years sweeping chimneys with no problems and it only takes being in a hurry and not taking a normal precaution and life changes.... broke/fractured two vertebrae, it hurt.... good and bad news is the docs say they can't do anything and I just have to take is slow and heal... into week three and I'm down to just slight pain but still moving real slow ... can only sleep for about 4 hours.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I’m really sorry bout your physical situation. Broken vertebrae would indeed suck & being laid up even more so. Best wishes with your recovery amigo Wink
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
The work out was shooting over 50 rounds in the p239 trying to get the laser adjusted... also, I have two broken vertebrae in my back from a fall two weeks ago that might have made it a little bit tougher.

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gearhound, you probably know this... but the barrel is only a straight drop in if your p226 is a 40 caliber

Yup...and I suspect like you, I happen to have 226’s in both 9 and .40 Big Grin

Also, I know a sweep- talk about a job where you never have the same job twice. My next door neighbor has to hire a sweep every year to put up a scaffold just to service it. I’m extremely lucky to have a low pitch roof that borders my chimney so I can safely sweep it. I even cut an old aluminum ladder short on one leg to match the pitch and level it. I hope your healing process continues well.

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Off the original subject I know but I did start it.

That is one of the big problems in the chimney and venting business in this country... the people that install these things do not take into consideration routine maintenance. One should not have to put up scaffolding or such just to do maintenance on a chimney. In major cities in Europe it has been code that there need to be built in permanent access to the top of the chimney. Now with that said, we sweep's now have equipment that will allow us to sweep probably 95+% of the chimneys all from the bottom. Often times going on the roof is either just to prove our job or to look for more work. The house I feel off of I did not really need to go on the roof, I knew what I was going to see and I even had a drone in the Van that would have allowed me to see the same. I was just 'proving my job' and also too busy thinking about all the other jobs I had to go to that day and chose not to take one extra safety measure.... has cost me at least three weeks of work that will never be made up.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"