SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New to me: 1994 Beretta 92 Centurion
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to me: 1994 Beretta 92 Centurion Login/Join 
posted
I've been craving one of these for years since I sold my first gun ever, a Beretta 96 (in 40SW). My craving became reality when I picked this up last week from a local collector who wanted it to go to a good home. Estimated 1-2 k of rounds through it total given excellent condition. Made in 1994.

I've added the Wilson Combat ultra thin grips, which are pricey, but change the whole feel of the pistol. I've ordered a Langdon "trigger job in a bag" and Beretta extended mag release. The TJIAB will be a reach for me to do (I've done drop-in triggers on my AR and Ruger 1022), but I keep watching the how to video... I might get night sights, but that is super pricey.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Batty67,

Posts: 3535 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to the pics. I've got a 1994 Beretta 92FS. Never a malfunction regardless of what I was shooting through it. Made a few tweaks. One of the best mods I made was the G conversion.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'm actually fine with the normal (decock/safety) version, though it seems the majority of folks really like the model G decock-only version.

Still have not shot it yet. I figure I'll do my best to properly install the trigger job first.

Posts: 3535 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sweet!! Beautiful.

I have the Wilson 92G and just picked up a standard 92G.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Nice score. Ive got one. Going to do tjiab, g conversion, thin grips, and night sights.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
Nice score. Ive got one. Going to do tjiab, g conversion, thin grips, and night sights.

Thanks. I went from posting a "want to buy" on a statewide gun buying/selling website to getting it inside of 4 hours. Remarkable. The thin grips were hard to pay for, but damn they are nice and change the feel tremendously.

I'll post more later, including a range report.

Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Take your time on the Tjiab upgrade. It’s not too bad, just be patient & think through the sequence of steps. I have a 92G centurion made in 94. Recently had it refinished. I’ll never part with it Wink

Posts: 13804 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the pics. I put black cherry VZ/LTT grips on my 92FS. Significant improvement over the standard plastic grips for my small-medium hands.

I can't remember, but does the Centurion have an integral front sight or is it dovetailed?

I ask because when I got my 92FS (with integral front sight) 20+ years ago I had night sights installed. They've since gone dead and the company that made/installed them, PT Night Sights/IWI, went out of business. I contacted Trijicon, but they no longer relamp 92FS front sights. I don't know offhand of anyone that does. I also believe that part of the slide is too thin to dovetail. Though I have seen gunsmiths that will install fiber optics, but not tritium night sights.

Again, I'm not sure if this applies to the Centurion, but I thought I'd pass along my experience just in case.

FWIW, I went over the rear tritium dots with a black Sharpie and painted the front sight fluorescent orange to be consistent with my PX4 Compact (my EDC) sights.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:
Thanks, I'm actually fine with the normal (decock/safety) version, though it seems the majority of folks really like the model G decock-only version.

I didn't have any problem with the safety, either. Easy to disengage compared to other slide-mounted safeties I've tried. I even bought a G-conversion kit last year and ended up selling it before buying another kit this year and actually installing it. Now I'm glad I did.

FWIW, I've also added a D hammer spring, Wolff trigger return spring, VZ/LTT grips,and aftermarket sights (see my other post). I've also been using MecGar 18-round mags; they've been working very well for me.

I'm considering getting the Wilson Combat Battlesight rear sight and maybe the Wilson Combat mag guide.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Integral
quote:
I can't remember, but does the Centurion have an integral front sight or is it dovetailed?

Posts: 13804 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Correct. After semi-scouring the internet, my options at this point to replace/modify the front sight is seem to be (1) Allegheny in PA drill it out and add a fiber optic ($75); (2) $299 for Tooltech Gunsite to semi-mill the front post to add a Trijicon night sight (and night sights in the rear); (3) replace the back sight with an all-black (e.g., Wilson Combat) sight (say $100 or so installed); or (4) I leave it alone. Might look into the front night sight and adding just the WC black/serrated sight for contrast.

TBD. Am I missing any options?

War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
Nice score!

I absolutely love the balance of the 92 Centurions.

Batty:
If you go the drilled fiber optic front route - you can sent it to Wilson Combat and they will do it for $50. At they same time they can put in one of their rears for $60 and save some overall money.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/wilso...WorkForm_Beretta.pdf

(I'm actually sending my M9A1 slide out there this week to have them drill the front for a FO rod.)

Posts: 12540 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Snake. I'm sort of entrenched in my "all pistols" should have night sights, but I might let it slide in this case.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Batty67,

Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:
Thanks Snake. I'm sort of entrenched in my "all pistols" should have night sights, but I might let it slide in this case.

They might be able to do a night sight for you.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, got the Langdon trigger job in a bag done last night. Took the entire evening and was hugely frustrating, including a (not so) nice scratch I put in the frame below the slide release by the trigger. And that was supposed to be one of the easier things to do.

Disassembly per the YouTube video from Ernest Langdon went smoothly. Having to constantly take of my reading glasses to watch the video did not help. And doing it at night.

In the end, the trigger did not work fully until I added the new hammer spring (13#), which just did not seem to go in correctly and I had to jam the spring down.

I am super tempted to take it apart and do it again now that I've "trialed-and-erred it". Getting the trigger spring in and seer and sear spring was a mega-bitch (30+ minutes and I final asked my wife to add a third hand). And again, the slide release spring effort resulted in me putting an idiot mark on it.

The DA pull is a bit smoother and lighter; the SA still has a lot of take-up, but breaks very cleanly. In short, the trigger, which was pretty good, is now very good (but does not blow my hair back).

I still need to replace the magazine release that that should be a snap after this effort.

posted Hide Post
Range report. 100% reliability and I threw just about every type, weight, and brand of 9mm I had. Grips were great. Trigger is really nice. Being a SAO guy, I made myself use DA and it was fine. The take-up on SA takes some getting used to, though it breaks very crisply. My BHP, which I shoot the most, has sort of the opposite feel, though both are quite smooth.

Love the super-easy breakdown and cleaning.

Accuracy. POI is about 1.5 to 2" low at 7 yards and that is covering the bullseye completely. Perfect left-to-right, and it increases to about 3" at 15 yards (the farthest I shot it today). I really want some contrast but I'm not sure FO will cut it, as I usually shoot in dim indoor conditions. I guess I need a taller rear site, and need to figure out exactly how much.

Bottomline: sweet Beretta goodness.