SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P226 Legion SAO trigger
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P226 Legion SAO trigger Login/Join 
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted
So the Scottsdale Gun Club is having its anniversary sale this week, and has a lot of firearm related vendors including Sig. There was a P226 Legion SAO model there with a Sig silencer to test shoot. I must say, I'm not impressed with the trigger. It is no lighter than the W. German vintage model I own, and the take up is really long for a single action. Is this normal for this model? I find it odd that a gun they are showing off isn't the best possible example.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear:
So the Scottsdale Gun Club is having its anniversary sale this week, and has a lot of firearm related vendors including Sig. There was a P226 Legion SAO model there with a Sig silencer to test shoot. I must say, I'm not impressed with the trigger. It is no lighter than the W. German vintage model I own, and the take up is really long for a single action. Is this normal for this model? I find it odd that a gun they are showing off isn't the best possible example.

EVERY SINGLE SAO trigger on the Legion has been significantly better than my W German 226. Maybe that trigger (My 226) is a pig, but I don't think so. The Legion SAO is one of the best triggers I've ever felt.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The triggers on both my SAO P226s, a Legion and a RX Elite are outstanding, especially after I swapped out the mainspring with a Wolff 17lb spring. Sounds like you ran across a dud.

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine isn't quite like a 1911, but it's close.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost, but making
good time
posted Hide Post
My experiences with multiple P226 Legion SAO triggers differs greatly.
I've tried at least 8 to 10 different P226 Legion SAO triggers and they were all significantly better than all of my vintage 80's through the 2000's vintage models that I own.

Sig may be missing the boat on some other things, but IMHO they got the P226 Legion SAO trigger right.
I'm sorry your experience wasn't the same as mine.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

Posts: 10446 | Location: St Augustine | Registered: March 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mrtuna
posted Hide Post
I ordered a P226 Legion SAO. Though IDPA is too afraid to allow it to compete with other SAOs it's a very sweet.

Training as often as possible!
NSSF Media Member

Posts: 1577 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: May 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmm i have fingered a good number of sao legions and non legion sigs. Having owned 2 non legion. Currently p226 elite sao. The legion trigger is vast improvement over standard SAO trigger

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
Hmm i have fingered a good number of sao legions and non legion sigs. Having owned 2 non legion. Currently p226 elite sao. The legion trigger is vast improvement over standard SAO trigger

I believe I read that the P226 Elite SAO trigger is identical to a P226 SAO Legion.

I have 3 P series SAO pistols and each has an excellent trigger. Maybe not as good as a very good 1911 trigger though. I bet my Sig SAO triggers get better as I put some rounds through them. I have an old W. German P226 and it has an awesome trigger, especially in SA mode but it has several thousands of rounds through it. I recent put new springs in it and they did not harm the SA trigger pull.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
The trigger of my 9mm X5 Comp wasn't all that great either: long take-up; 4-1/2 lb. (but crisp) break; quite a bit of over-travel, long reset. But Robert Burke fixed all that.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John3200:
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:

I believe I read that the P226 Elite SAO trigger is identical to a P226 SAO Legion.

I have 3 P series SAO pistols and each has an excellent trigger. Maybe not as good as a very good 1911 trigger though. I bet my Sig SAO triggers get better as I put some rounds through them. I have an old W. German P226 and it has an awesome trigger, especially in SA mode but it has several thousands of rounds through it. I recent put new springs in it and they did not harm the SA trigger pull.

As far as every explaination i have rrad, they are not

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The obvious difference between the Elite SAO and Legion SAO is the straight trigger on the Legion (duh...). My experience with the Elite SAO trigger (on my fairly new P226RX SAO Elite) and the SAO Legion is that my Legion had slightly less take-up and was ever so slightly crisper on the break. The reset is pretty much the same, there is no discernable overtravel and just a slight bit of take-up. Both are fairly light out of the box. I put Wolff 17lb mainsprings in both of mine with no reliability issues. Despite my observations I can tell you that I am splitting hairs between the triggers as they are both outstanding, and allow me to shoot way above my abilities.

Just my $.02.

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spoke with the sig pro shop about the difference between the 3 guns, the P226 SAO elite, P226 Legion, and P226 SAO RX. (The RX is not branded as an elite)

I noticed a huge difference between the the triggers on the sao elite and the legion and RX but I noticed little difference between the Legion and the RX. I ask the guy showing me the 3 guns why there was such a big difference and he said that the SAO elite used a different trigger bar, sear, manual safety and trigger than the legion and the RX. He said that they were so different that the parts are not interchangeable between the sao elite and the other two.

He said that the legion and the RX use all of the same parts except the trigger. Everything else is exactly the same and inerchangable. I played with all three guns at the same time and it was hard to tell the difference between the Legion and the RX. There was an obvious difference between those two and the sao elite and I could tell why they discontinued the SAO elite.

To get back on the OP's topic I love the feel of the SAO Legion and was amazed the first time I picked it up. I only have 1 West German gun and the trigger on the Legion beats it no question.

Posts: 550 | Location: Texas | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Factor8: Thanks for providing the great information. Sure seems to square with my experience with the RX and Legion.

Also, you are correct about the RX not being branded as an Elite. Don't know where I got that from. Would take lots of editing for me to fix my screw-up in all those posts Razz!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Factor8:
I spoke with the sig pro shop about the difference between the 3 guns, the P226 SAO elite, P226 Legion, and P226 SAO RX. (The RX is not branded as an elite)

I noticed a huge difference between the the triggers on the sao elite and the legion and RX but I noticed little difference between the Legion and the RX. I ask the guy showing me the 3 guns why there was such a big difference and he said that the SAO elite used a different trigger bar, sear, manual safety and trigger than the legion and the RX. He said that they were so different that the parts are not interchangeable between the sao elite and the other two.

He said that the legion and the RX use all of the same parts except the trigger. Everything else is exactly the same and inerchangable. I played with all three guns at the same time and it was hard to tell the difference between the Legion and the RX. There was an obvious difference between those two and the sao elite and I could tell why they discontinued the SAO elite.

To get back on the OP's topic I love the feel of the SAO Legion and was amazed the first time I picked it up. I only have 1 West German gun and the trigger on the Legion beats it no question.

Thanks for the explaination and clarification.

posted Hide Post
I am an admitted 1911 trigger snob. That said, the trigger on my SAO Legion is stellar.

Posts: 1283 | Location: TX | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
If I didn't know better it sounded more like you were describing the trigger on my P220 Carry SAO which is quite "meh". I used to appreciate a good trigger but since getting my Legion P226 SAO, I'm spoiled and fussy. Not only the break, but when my dealer pointed out the reset, I was amazed.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12930 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post