SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W CS45. Smallest of the 3rd gen 45s
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W CS45. Smallest of the 3rd gen 45s Login/Join 
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted
I have always liked/preferred/chosen S&W 3rd gen pistols. For work, competition, fun shooting and any other thing you can ask of a handgun. They have always exceeded my expectations of them.

And the same is true for my latest 3rd gen aquisition, the Chief's Special 45 or CS45 as it is more commonly known.

I first became aquainted with the CS45 through the postings of FastBolt on a couple of other gunboards. His experience with them interested me in aquiring one for myself. But the first one I ever came in contact with looked like it had been dragged behind a truck. And my pinky dangled off the bottom of the grip. At the time, I did not care for that. So I forgot about this fine little 45.

Until around 2015. Back then I aquired a CS9. Fine little deep concealment and BUG pistol. It reignited my interest in finding a CS45. And being newly retired from Investigations, I needed a samll 45 EDC. One that wouldn't break the bank buying either.

I found it on Gunbroker this past December. Lightly used with a few handling marks and priced low because it had no magazine with it. That didnt bother me as I had three that Id picked up over the years, knowing that I would someday own a CS45. I did the low bid and won it when nobody else bid on it.

I have spent the last 8 months testing it and recently started carrying it. It is the smallest TDA 45 extant. It carries well and shoots VERY accurately. Recoil is not bad for such a small 45. And MUCH less than the Glock 36 I shot while shopping for a retirement gun. Reliability is the same as all my other 3rd gen pistols. Which is to say it is bet your life reliable.

But I would caution those with limited experience shooting 45s about purchasing a CS45. You must lockyour wrist when shooting this pistol. It is suceptable to limp wristing.

All in all I am very pleased with this diminutive 45. And I wish Id found one years ago. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had for 5 years , nice little 45 especially if u replace the grips with wood grips , however keep an eye on the frame where the barrel meets. Mine looks like it is peening badly.

Posts: 149 | Registered: September 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
That pistol is on my must have list. My last concealed carry pistol at the PD was the CS9 and I retired with it. I think it needs a big brother

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one for a while about 10 yrs ago or so. It never jammed although I have to admit that it wasn't fired much. IIRC it had rubber grips which helped to hang on to it. Not that the recoil was bad by any stretch, but smooth grips would have made it harder to control.

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post