SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What is Best Name for Semi-Auto Submachine Guns; e.g., AR15 vs. M16
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is Best Name for Semi-Auto Submachine Guns; e.g., AR15 vs. M16 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
PCC if it has a stock, no matter the barrel length. Or just a "pistol" without a stock or just a brace.

Especially for things that aren't even clones, just their own entity like the Scorpion etc.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 45_Auto
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
16+”= pistol caliber carbine or rifle.

<16”= pistol, regardless of caliber.

I prefer to keep it as simple as possible; I don’t relish giving the leftists any scary words to latch onto.

No, a Pistol has to have specifics, like no stock, or vertical fore end grip regardless of barrel size 7",8",10.5", etc...
Then there is the SBR category, which also has specifics and a $200 ATF Tax Stamp.

You cannot just say anything less than 16" is a pistol.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A Veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'Up to and including their life'.
That is Honor. Unfortunately there are way too many people in this Country who no longer understand that.

Posts: 2306 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
A shorter barreled device that uses rapidly expanding gasses to propel a pea size projectile towards an intended target.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
It would be more accurate to call the item in question a Carbine or denote SA without the automatic term.

Thompson Carbine
Thompson SA

Uzi Carbine
Etc.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
What do you have against the words Pistol and Rifle

A semi-auto is a semi-auto period.

Why try to make something sound more dangerous?

Regarding the AR platform, you have it backwards.

The M16 was a select fire copy of the AR-15 rifle, not the other way around

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa:

Another name is needed since a firearm without a stock, with an 8: barrel weighing 5 to 6 pounds is a lot different.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is entirely too much thought wrapped up here.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSAreGreat:
quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa:

Another name is needed since a firearm without a stock, with an 8: barrel weighing 5 to 6 pounds is a lot different.

I agree with the OP. Putting my MPX in the same class as my M17 is accurate only in the eyes of the law.

I typically call it a faux submachine gun. Like faux wood. Looks like one...but it ain't.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post