SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Slide rattle on a used P225! Should I be concerned???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Slide rattle on a used P225! Should I be concerned??? Login/Join 
posted
My LGS has a used P225 for sale but it "rattles" when I shake it.
It seems to be the slide.
There is a little bit of play in it.

Should I be concerned?
Normal for that model?

Posts: 603 | Registered: December 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Some older SIGs do that. If it bothers you, don’t buy it.

I would probably steer clear of it.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10489 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
Limited experiences here, but have one as well as other Sigs. No they don't normally rattle much, but can have a noise which sounds more singular than sloppy. There are other indicators like the worn barrel at chamber and a galled "smilie", and around edges of the gun. Even a rental gun or beat with many rounds most likely will work for many more. If that's the case, you'll easily find one with more life in it.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
If you like it and get it for a good price, don't worry about a rattle. If it shoots well, enjoy your find. P239 pistols are usually the pistols that people complain about rattling. They're accurate and reliable.

If you buy the P225, use a light weight grease and shoot it. You'll forget about rattles if it shoots like mine used to.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You mean like a Glock or AK 47?

Posts: 17228 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fighting guns rattle, match guns do not. That rattle is the clearance that allows the pistol to function dirty and full of crud.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy it... Ship it Sig for SSP. Then shoot it. Enjoy the rattle!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16083 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I have a P226 that rattles if there is no bullet or snap cap in the magazine but does not rattle if there is one. It is a great shooter and never a problem with thousands of rounds through it.

Tough call on that P225 as they are not seen at LGS very often.

Posts: 9746 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The simplest cure is don’t shake it.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The simplest cure is don’t shake it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If you got it, you gotta shake it. {Dancing moves}

Posts: 17228 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Grease not oil.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ll never understand the preoccupation with shaking guns. At what point during target practice, competition or defensive shooting does shaking the pistol come into play?

Years ago, before I knew enough to work on my own guns, I had taken my P229 for a firing pin replacement. The smith said my gun was a rattle trap. I don’t think he was a fishermen cuz he didn’t seem to understand my bad joke. But this pistol always shot like a laser, so I was surprised at this news. As it turns out, yes it does rattle, if it’s not loaded. And it does shoot like a laser. And it actually shows a LOT less wear than the P229 my dad gave me that is real tight. Like I’ve got thousands of rounds on mine and only a few hundred on the other and you’d think by the wear, it was reversed.

If, when in lockup/fully in battery, the barrel can move, then a rattle may be an issue. Otherwise quit playing with your gun.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The P239 could actually be described as a "baby rattle" there is that much play. But in actual use I have found both of mine are accurate enough to shoot a Dead President at 50 feet. They also feature a barrel to slide fit tight enough at lockup that requires a light tap to release them during a Field Strip.

Hint, it's the barrel to slide fit that matters, not the slide to frame fit. Having a somewhat loose slide to frame fit on a semi has proven to be one sure way to build a reliable pistol and IMO Reliability is a lot more important than a "perfect" fit. BTW, the P08 Luger was a very tightly fitted handgun back in the early 1900's while the 1911 was flat out sloppy in comparison. Guess which pistol had a reputation for ALWAYS working? Yeah, it was the 1911. Fact is one reason why the P38 came about was because the Luger had proven to be absolutely unusable in North Africa.

To Sum it up I wouldn't be the least bit concerned about a rattle. However with any used Sig with an Aluminum frame I would examine the slide rails closely because that is one area where Sigs are prone to wear.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5646 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sure it's just fine. I bought a beat up P6 that was just a W. German police Simunition conversion (no live barrel) for I think $330. Sourced a live barrel for her and turned it into my main carry gun. It shoots very well, didn't think to check if it rattles!

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Should I be concerned?

Most likely not. If the barrel is peened at the chamber shoulder or gouged near the muzzle, or if the frame rails are gouged up, you don't want it anyway. But simple play, even rattling, between the frame and slide doesn't matter. I had a P228 that would rattle if I shook it, but this mostly went away with a magazine in and a round chambered. What matters is the barrel to slide fit. The slide, barrel and sights are all as one unit at the moment of firing, so if your sight alignment and trigger control are good, the bullet will go where you aimed it.

Posts: 27944 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Does it shoot?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
I took a beater 2-tone WG P226 in a trade several years ago.
When I moved it side to side, it rattled quite a bit.
There was a lot of play between the slide and frame.

It was, at the time, one of the most accurate pistols I owned.

Gutted it, sent most of it to CCR for a refinish.

But sold it when I found my mint WG P226 with box, test target, and paperwork.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of throwingdown
posted Hide Post
Check frame rails. If galled down to aluminum avoid. Some use oil instead of grease on rails. Wears faster. If extreme wear I'd avoid.

Posts: 423 | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post