SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    First range day with my P365 SAS
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First range day with my P365 SAS Login/Join 
posted
and, it was, I think, a disaster.

First of all, at 7 yards, the gun shot about 3" to the left. As I look through the instructions, there seems no way to adjust the sight, though apparently some on the Web hab done some things ot the sight that I don't care to do.

I believe I have to call Sig and send the gun or at least the slide in for adjustment.

And, of course, I had the brilliant idea to add the Sig Lima Laser and, just my luck, I can't get it to stay on reliably-never had that problem with the CT lasers, but ....

I thought I read (here?) about mounting a washer, gluing a small washer, or... to make the lase stay on. Anyone familiar with that?

Any help offered would be appreciated.

Bob

This message has been edited. Last edited by: straightshooter1,

Posts: 1559 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Get a laser boresight to check the sights. You may be having a grip issue with the gun, but the sights are on.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a pretty good shooter and the sights are off. I have two other Sig 365s, and XL and a regular 365 and they shoot right to point of aim. This one doesn't. Pretty easy to put the little center circle on the target and, at 7 yards, gotta work to miss and, really gotta work to consistently drop the bullets about 3" left of the aimed at spot.

I decided to call Sig CS. OUCH! On hold listening to two men with loud voices giving me useless info and a lady between them offering equally useless info.

After a long wait (probably only 15 minutes, but it was making me crazy) I gave up and sent an email. Hopefully, I'll get an answer either today (fat chance) or Tuesday (bet they are closed on Monday).

Posts: 1559 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Straight shooter,

I purchased a SAS slide for my P365. Just swapping the slide and my point of aim was about 3 inches to the right at 5 yards. Since I knew my original configuration 365 was fine I knew it was an issue with the SAS slide. I ended up moving the sights. I used a feeler gauge and tracked progress slowly since I didn’t have a working knowledge of the sights.

I spent many range sessions getting the sights close. The biggest issue for me was the ability to create a tight group with the SAS slights. Since the groups were at least 3 times larger the real center was time consuming to identify.

I swapped back to my normal 365 slide and haven’t looked back. I really wanted to like the SAS sights, but I’m too fixed in my ways to get good with the new sights.

I would give the sights some small adjustments, but realize you are working in the .001 inch range of movement for adjustment. 3 inches at 7 yards will most likely be about .005 inches. Slide a feeler gauge in and tighten the screw back up with it in place. Take good notes. It took me about 5 range trips to get it centered in.

Good Luck,
El Barto

Posts: 15 | Registered: November 17, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Good to know that something can be done at home. Kind of funny to think that the feeler gauges I keep for a Dan Wesson revolver and a PTR (HK knockoff) may come in handy when I pick up an SAS.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, El Barto! Problem for me is that, as I have looked on line and at the instruction book, it appears those two screw at the rear of the sight just hold the sight on.

There seems no provision for moving them in any direction. Some on line guys were talking about shaving one side (Gulp! Not for me!). Another spoke of "twisting the sight (Again, not gonna happen as I am thinking one of the screws will shear off).

How did you move your sight using the feeler gauge?

Bob

posted Hide Post
Normally I would attribute your shooting left as a case of Leftitis. However due to your having standard models of the P365 and shooting well with them this is not the case here. IMO your issue is simply a matter of the optical illusion sight used on the SAS version.

Shooting 3 inches left at only 20 feet is HUGE in terms of sight alignment, too much for this to be a manufacturing error in either the slide or sight. An error this large would be quite obvious on a traditional sight setup because you would see that the front or rear sights were way off center. In this style of sight you may not be able to see any mis-alignment but these are machine made sights using very precisely made molding dies without any variation in the finished item on a part to part basis. If tat die were made out of specification every single sight produced so far would have this problem would have generated enough complaints that these pistols would be under recall. BTW, I expect that the molds for this sight will last for 12-20 years before needing replacement.

I think that your problem is caused by how YOU interface with this type of sight. To test this I would suggest that you try shooting your pistol off a good rest as carefully as you can and see what results. It might be that you need to refine your shooting technique in order to use this type of sight.

BTW, when I first saw this sight I knew that it was a sight system that would NOT work for me. There are 3 areas that concern me about these sights. First, they rely on overhead lighting to illuminate the sight and my experience with fibre optic sights at indoor ranges has shown that they just don't work at an indoor range. Second is the reliance on Tritium for illumination at night. I have two P239's with Tritium sights that no longer work due to age. At some point I'll get around to painting some white dots on the spare P239. The third issue is my eyesight, it's not even close to what it once was. When I was 45 I had 20/10 vision and could read 2 point type without any strain at all. Now my distance vision is 20/25 but my vision under 10 feet requires the use of readers or a magnifying glass. In addition to that my night vision is poor enough that I avoid driving at night when that is possible. Because of this I am dead certain this weird sighting system would NOT work for me. This may also be true for you, if so I would suggest that you arrange a swap with a friend interested in this pistol.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5623 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a company making a RMR mount that fits neatly into the SAS slot to adapt it for a RomeoZero. I'm tempted. The one on the 320 RX C works well.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the life of me I don’t understand you guys who love this sight. Do you really snag on stuff so much that you want an inferior sight? Ugh.

Posts: 7349 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Going back to the range this PM and use a rest to make sure.

Pedropco: My guns don't snag, I just thought this gun looked interesting and wanted to try one for myself. Kinda mixed reviews here (with some really negative), so wanted to see for myself.

If it's my eyes this one will be offered for sale, warts and all. But I like it so far, with that one big exception. Roll Eyes

Bob

Picture of pcshooter
posted Hide Post
I had the same experience with my SAS:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...190024964#6190024964

Posts: 751 | Location: Free State of Utah | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, apparently the shop/range decided to take the weekend off to celebrate Memorial Day. Kinda wish they'd mentioned it yesterday when I talked about coming back to shoot this afternoon.

Oh, well, Tuesday PM, I hope.

pcshooter: that may be the direction I go. I have the Romeo Zero on the Sig P365 XL and love it.

I was kinda thinking that way yesterday, but wasn't familiar with that adapter. Thanks!

Bob

posted Hide Post
Ok, I totally get that. I have bought some stuff just to try it out.

If it was correctly zeroed would you like it better than say, X Rays?

Posts: 7349 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SS,

Sorry for the delay. Went to the range and was having some fun.
First use the feeler gauge to determine the spacing of the sight on each of the four corners within the existing slot. Determine which way you need to move the sight. Loosen the fasteners and the sight will have movement. Use a feeler gauge that is a couple mils thicker and keep it in place while tightening the screws back down.

Log eac of the before and after measurements at each corner. It takes some time, but don’t rush it and yo will see your point of aim slowly come back into alignment.

Sorry if my instructions are not great. Post up as you go through this and I will check in to see how you are doing.

El Barto

posted Hide Post
Fredward,

Can you give me the name of the company that makes an adapter for the SAS slot to get to a Romeo Red Dot? I would love to try that.

Thanks,
El Barto

posted Hide Post
Thanks, El Barto. I'm gonna go back to the range before moving anything and make SURE it is the gun and not me (Oh my! It surely can't be me, can it?).

Then I'll try to make the move.

Failing that fixing the problem, another RZ or a Shield is in my future rather than selling this and taking my usual big hit.

Bob

Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
I have both of the SAS units; one slide update and the other a full pistol. I guess I was lucky because both sights were registered for me. I like snag free design because pocket carry in hot SWFL makes life easy.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
namelessaarms.com, I believe. They are currently out of stock, but hope to have more soon. About 40 bucks. I'll also say Sigarms is have a sale on the RomeoZero, 140 bucks is quite a discount.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fredward:

I went to the Store, searched for RZs and only found the out of stockers (like it's been for months) at $259.99. Plus I looked at what is on sale and saw no RZs.

Where on earth are you seeing RZs for the price you quoted, 'cause I'm a buyer?

Bob

posted Hide Post
Well, I've made a decision. I'm gonna get rid of the SAS and its laser. I have an XL and a plain jane 365, why do I need a third one? I've been dry firing (really just aiming and saying "bang") and I really don't like this SAS one little bit.

I'm gonna see if I can trade it and the Sig Lima Laser in on something I want. Problem is, my LGS hasn't been taking trades since the Virus hit, just selling gun after gun after....

So I gotta go by and see if they are back to normal yet, and if so, I'll take the hit if they have something I want (notice I did not use the word "need."

Bob

This message has been edited. Last edited by: straightshooter1,