SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Converting a 226 from 40 to 9
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Converting a 226 from 40 to 9 Login/Join 
posted
I am thinking about trading into a 226r in 40. The only problem is I don’t like 40 lol. So I am thinking about trying to trade the complete upper for one in 9mm. Where would be the best place to start looking?

Posts: 73 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: March 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ichi-go ichi-e
Picture of Underworld2086
posted Hide Post
I think you can just buy a replacement barrel and new magazines.

https://www.barsto.com/category_main.cfm?ID=SSB

Posts: 696 | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Sell the upper on gun broker and get a new one...

https://www.sigsauer.com/store...it-p226-9mm-blk.html

Or a Bar-Sto

Tony

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of James Bond
posted Hide Post
Not sure what you are considering trading in exchange, but it might be better to wait for a deal on a railed 226 in this caliber.

Zukovsky: Only three men I know use such a gun. I believe I've killed two of them.
Bond: Lucky me.
-- GoldenEye (1995)

Posts: 384 | Location: Northern California | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
An aftermarket drop in barrel and 9mm mags will do it.
Some say they use stock 9mm barrels and mags.
I went with a Bar-Sto barrel and 9mm SIG mags.
No regrets.
G'Luck.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
Maybe get the 9mm recoil spring, too. I dont know from personal experience, but a guy did a YouTube video of just dropping in the 9 barrel and had some malfunctions. Made a later video with the 9mm recoil spring and ran perfect.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2440 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
Rather than purchase a complete upper, I went with a BarSto conversion barrel, a 9mm recoil spring, and 9mm magazines. It's been a perfect combination, very accurate and completely reliable through thousands of rounds.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5281 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I did the Bar-Sto replacement barrels three times. Once on a .40 X-5 had a .357 sig and 9mm bbls fitted.
And did 9mm Bar Sto drop ins on a pair of .357 sig 229's. One mine the other a friends. Both even worked fine using the .357 sig mags! Wouldn't ever CARRY ccw with out dedicated 9mm mags, but found it interesting that the .357/.40 mags still worked.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
I did the Bar-Sto replacement barrels three times. Once on a .40 X-5 had a .357 sig and 9mm bbls fitted.
And did 9mm Bar Sto drop ins on a pair of .357 sig 229's. One mine the other a friends. Both even worked fine using the .357 sig mags! Wouldn't ever CARRY ccw with out dedicated 9mm mags, but found it interesting that the .357/.40 mags still worked.

I ran a P229 that started life in .40S&W and got a 9mm slide built up for it with the .40 S&W/.357 Sig 10 round mags that I had. I learned that while the mags ran 100% with 10 9mm rounds in them, they were very unreliable with 13 rounds of 9mm (which is where they felt full). Counting rounds while loading became important. Since counting is hard for those easily distracted, I got 9mm mags once I got home. Wink

Posts: 6914 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Drop in a 357 Sig barrel and you will the best 9mm around. Simple change.

Posts: 1253 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaaron11:
Rather than purchase a complete upper, I went with a BarSto conversion barrel, a 9mm recoil spring, and 9mm magazines. It's been a perfect combination, very accurate and completely reliable through thousands of rounds.

I've actually been kicking this around myself for a month or more. Will the sights that come stock on the .40 be off much with 9mm? Believe it's 6/8 on the .40 and 8/8 on the 9mm so wasn't sure if it's a noticeable difference in where you hit.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2440 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
A friend had a 229-1 that came with Sig conversions in both 9 & 40. Dismount one slide/barrel, mount the other caliber. Both had their own night sights as well.

Be sure to change to the other set of factory Sig magazines. No problem.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post